Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W turnover/F250/303RLS

I apologize if this has been asked several times but it would help to get your opinion.

Bought a used 2016 303RLS. It had V1 Reese Goose Box. I currently have 6inches of clearance between the bottom of the coach and the bed rails. I have bed cover that takes that down to 4.5”. My dealer says that’s not enough clearance and to fix this, I need to buy V2 Goose Box plus a riser kit for the coach for about $5,000. I can’t afford to do that.

Pictures are of the truck hitched and loaded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ford F250 SuperDuty w/Camper Package
    2016 GD 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powelln View Post
    I apologize if this has been asked several times but it would help to get your opinion.

Bought a used 2016 303RLS. It had V1 Reese Goose Box. I currently have 6inches of clearance between the bottom of the coach and the bed rails. I have bed cover that takes that down to 4.5”. My dealer says that’s not enough clearance and to fix this, I need to buy V2 Goose Box plus a riser kit for the coach for about $5,000. I can’t afford to do that.

Pictures are of the truck hitched and loaded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	35946
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4420.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	35947

2016 GD 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powelln View Post

I have the V2 GooseBox, 20K on my Ram truck with 7 1/2" clearance to my tonneau cover rails. I still hit the rails while backing into an unlevel site a couple of weeks ago. So, 4 1/2" is clearly not enough. But, why $5,000, I paid about $1400 from E trailer in Mar of this year. have you contacted Reese for recommendations?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    I have the V2 GooseBox, 20K on my Ram truck with 7 1/2" clearance to my tonneau cover rails. I still hit the rails while backing into an unlevel site a couple of weeks ago. So, 4 1/2" is clearly not enough. But, why $5,000, I paid about $1400 from E trailer in Mar of this year. have you contacted Reese for recommendations?
    The quote was for the V2 which is about $1200 and because the trailer rides level now, raising the front end with V2 will lower the back end of the trailer which apparently is $3000 to raise the entire trailer so it rides level again. Then the cost of labor. So it was quoted on the hirer end of $5000

3” is pretty significant.

2016 GD 303RLS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the trailer is level now, increasing the clearance is not possible without putting the trailer nose-high unless you lower the truck or raise the whole trailer. In my opinion, 6" clearance is OK unless you're going to do some serious off-roading in rough conditions.

Forum hint: You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-09-2021 at 08:34 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to temporarily remove the bed cover while towing? That would seem to be a more economical adjustment. And I agree that 6 inches of clearance
    should be okay.

Where does the B&W hitch fit into this scenario?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Is it possible to temporarily remove the bed cover while towing? That would seem to be a more economical adjustment. And I agree that 6 inches of clearance
    should be okay.

Where does the B&W hitch fit into this scenario?
    The bed cover rails are held on by 4 aluminum clamps. Taking them off and then re centering them back on again would be a real pain and I’m not sure they would hold up to that. But definitely better than spending 5k.

Maybe B&W has a taller hitch ball but I haven’t seen one. I’m using the turnover ball system.

Or maybe taller tires?

2016 GD 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen, and I do own a B&W turnover ball, the ball heights are all about the same. And, of course, any raising of the front of
    the trailer to increase bed clearance is going to result in out-of-level towing. It is a bit of a conundrum. So many of the later model trucks
    sit so high they can cause issues with this type of thing.

I assume you're referring to taller tires on the trailer. That could give you an inch or so, but you may run into tire clearance issues on the
    underside of the trailer then.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    From what I've seen, and I do own a B&W turnover ball, the ball heights are all about the same. And, of course, any raising of the front of
    the trailer to increase bed clearance is going to result in out-of-level towing. It is a bit of a conundrum. So many of the later model trucks
    sit so high they can cause issues with this type of thing.

I assume you're referring to taller tires on the trailer. That could give you an inch or so, but you may run into tire clearance issues on the
    underside of the trailer then.
    B&W does make a replacement ball that is 1” taller for the standard setup. It’s listed on etrailer for $135. I had a similar problem with my 303 and the Anderson hitch, the taller ball was one option I considered. The newer taller trucks can pose some interesting problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 Ram 3500 using the turnover ball hitch with the GooseBox and have 6” of clearance. I have a Bakflip four section MX4 tonneau cover that lays almost flat on the bed rail.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E8A6CC8A-4E4D-4450-AABB-E6D0CE958FC2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	36041
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast