User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blew out rear driver side westlake tire

On I77 in NC without hitting anything to cause it. Fortunately we were in an area where I could rally pull over to get the spare on safely. I replaced all four the next morning with Hercules since that is what the dealer had in stock. They had no Endurance even though they are a goodyear dealer and were checking inventory for 6 locations in SW VA. The tire did some minor damage to the plastic fender but took out the fitting on the gas line running to the hot water heater which we did not notice until we got to our destination and got all hooked up the next evening and smelled gas. I managed to get a plug at home depot to plug it and need to replace that hose. They were just over 7000 miles and I literally had the wheel bearings repacked just two days before but I can't see how that would have effected them at all unless there is something I'm not aware of.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210806_165110.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	35955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210806_165121.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	35956
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    On I77 in NC without hitting anything to cause it. Fortunately we were in an area where I could rally pull over to get the spare on safely. I replaced all four the next morning with Hercules since that is what the dealer had in stock. They had no Endurance even though they are a goodyear dealer and were checking inventory for 6 locations in SW VA. The tire did some minor damage to the plastic fender but took out the fitting on the gas line running to the hot water heater which we did not notice until we got to our destination and got all hooked up the next evening and smelled gas. I managed to get a plug at home depot to plug it and need to replace that hose. They were just over 7000 miles and I literally had the wheel bearings repacked just two days before but I can't see how that would have effected them at all unless there is something I'm not aware of.Click image for larger version. 

Sorry to hear about your blow out. Do you have a TPMS and have any idea what the pressure and temperature on that tire was before the blow out. My thought would be - if the spindle nut was to tight or to loose (mostly too tight) it could have caused overheating into the wheel and ultimately increase the tire internal temperature.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's kind of coincidental that this happened right after wheel bearing work.

Are those "E" rated Westlakes? Did you personally check the tire pressures after getting the trailer back?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post

Just for curiosity, what size tires are they, and rating( E? )? Do you have a TPMS System installed? What pressure do you run? Do you stay within the speed rating of the tires - always? Have you in the past run over or into a curb? I ask all of these questions because they can all be reasons why the tires fail. I am still running my Westlakes, and will till I need to replace them, which will be next year maybe. Depends on what I see on then. I know I have stayed within the "parameters" of the questions above, but.... I may have bumped a curb in June. I didn't see anything on the tires but still, there COULD be damage. I have no feelings about the Westlakes one way or the other. I have had no issues and I do not like spending money I don't need to. Others will jump on this and say the 15" E rated Westlakes are crap, and maybe they are. I'm still not changing them till I have to.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Sorry to hear about your blow out. Do you have a TPMS and have any idea what the pressure and temperature on that tire was before the blow out. My thought would be - if the spindle nut was to tight or to loose (mostly too tight) it could have caused overheating into the wheel and ultimately increase the tire internal temperature.
    OR of too loose the wheel could have been "wobbling" and heated up because of that.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles eodenc. That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    OR of too loose the wheel could have been "wobbling" and heated up because of that.
    It would have to be ridiculously loose to cause that I think?
    Unfortunately, it is very difficult to be sure that nothing was run over to cause it. It could have just been road debris. Or something from a month ago. Or tire failure. If no tpms, it may have slow leaked until it blew.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 08-10-2021 at 04:29 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bummer. One of my Westlakes started abnormally wearing, which turned out to be an axle alignment issue. GD replaced both axles and I replaced all Westlakes at the same time with Goodyear Endurance. Can't be happier...
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have tpms, it beeped 2 sec after blowout.

How did they determine the axle alignment issue and what kind of wear?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have no feelings ether way on Westlake tires as they have served me well, ran them until age out or worn out. The Grand Design road techs run them on their service trailers. I walked over to one of their service trailers at a rally to see what they run.

To many variables play into tire failure to point the finger at Westlake. Bottom line if this has caused you to lose confidence in Westlake, replace them. Now I won’t argue that Westlake tires are not constructed as well as some of the all steel trailer tires but they are sold at a price point that customers demand.

Should you chose to upgrade your tires be prepared to upgrade some suspension parts as well, something like Sumo springs and the equalizer to cushion the added stress on the suspension or at some point you’ll begin to have suspension and or frame issues.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drivers rear tire was worn bald only on the inside tread at 4000 miles. I diagnosed the axle issue by measuring center to center between axles on each side and the right was 3/4" longer if I recall. GD stepped up and replaced both axles, leaf springs and bushings out of warranty with 3500# upgrades. The ride is significantly better, especially with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. I was running 65psi with the Westlakes and now only have to run 55psi all around, which softens the ride. Hope that helps!
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast