User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    You might be wise to consider the F450 SRW, it'd handle it no problem. It also has a wider front axle, which gives it a tighter turning radius. I pivoted our 5th toyhauler years ago, it's nice to have that ability when you get into a tight spot. I would've gone F450 for our Imagine if it had been available w/o the diesel.
    F450 is only dually. It is a sweet truck.

My advice is simple - buy enough truck for your anticipated trailer, and be realistic with your numbers. Go by GVWR of the trailer, and 20-25% tongue weight of that GVWR (for a 5th wheel). Buy a truck that can at least handle those numbers. Then you have a truck that you know will be safe. You have the luxury of buying already knowing your intended purpose.

There are people saying a 250 should be fine to tow, and maybe it could. But you’d be starting with a truck that you’re likely to exceed the numbers on right away, at very little savings from just getting a 350 in the first place. So far as dually vs srw, lots of good points for both, same with gas vs diesel. The trucks are good enough that, with the weights you posted, it is really up to preference as to which would be best for you.

Might be worth a search of ‘two truck club’.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    F-450 is DRW only, but would be nice to have the wide front axle on a SRW.
    I just realized that, thanks for the correction!
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    I just realized that, thanks for the correction!
    No worries. Lots of options out there and all get confusing... But there's an after market set up called "super singles" where you replace the wheels with MRAP wheels. Dang cool.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyousnesss View Post
    My wife and I have decided on the grand design 310gk, we are new to this but have done much research on the numbers. Looking to buy a ford f350 crew 4x4 diesel. Thought I had this all figured out. I understand the numbers for the trailer the 22% to 23% pin weight. Understand the trucks cargo weight plus pin weight. I just read one guys blog who was very informative, but he has the GCVW at 22,500. So the question is, a ford f350 like we want for tow vehicle has a tow capacity of 27,500, and I've also seen different ratings for that model at 22,500. It gets confusing. So if the solitude 310 has a max of 15,000, then the f350 even with a tow capacity of 22,500 should be fine. I get that the pin weight would be over at 22%, if hypothetically say it weighed 14,000 then 22% would be 3,080, which pin weight for the 310 is 2,350,over by 730 pounds. So does the tow capacity of the truck mean its the trucks GVW plus the trailer GVW equals the GCVW, or does it mean that the truck can tow 22,500. Sorry if that's confusing, I want to tow safe and get this right. I see many do pull a 310 with a F350.
    I think the quoted numbers for the F350 are from a Tremor trim. F350 SRW Tremor can tow 15K conventional and 22.5K gooseneck. So don't get the Tremor trim for this trailer, and you'll be fine with that 6.7 diesel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Best setup to go with Bret.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F450 only comes in DRW.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minds made up, It's a DRW only. Those Solitudes are some heavy made RVS.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyousnesss View Post
    Minds made up, It's a DRW only. Those Solitudes are some heavy made RVS.
    You won't be sorry. In another thread, a member posted that he was told his SRW 1-ton wasn't enough for his triple-axle Momentum... check out what he did:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...352#post387352

This is a popular option over in the Escapees RV Club (they have a whole sub-forum devoted to them). Bottom line is, there's no such thing as too much truck!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread.
    I have a 2019 GMC 2500 DH Diesel 4x4. I can't remember exactly what the brochure said the cargo capacity was but it was way over what the little yellow sticker says on the pillar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door Sticker.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	36184

We wanted a 303 but had to pull back and go with the 29RS. Still very heavy for this truck.
    Haven't been to the CAT Scales but it's on my list to see what the real numbers are.
    Last edited by Fivecodys; 08-18-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123