User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are many variables that affect GVWR/GCVWR/payload - one of most significant of them being single rear wheel or dual rear wheel. Trim levels, cab configuration, bed length (for a SRW truck), options, etc., all affect GVWR and payload. You can't really rely on any numbers you find on-line or in manufacturers' towing guides or brochures - you can only go by the door sticker and the CAT scales. No two trucks are the same unless they are identical.

The GVWR on the Solitude 310GK is 15,000 lbs... unless you option the 8K axles, disc brakes, and load range H tires - then it's 18,000 lbs. I can tell you that the pin weight on our 310 loaded to 15K is 3,380 lbs. measured at the CAT scales.

Many do pull the 310 with F350s/3500s. Opinions are cheap, but I believe the Solitudes should be behind a dual rear wheel truck.

Rob
    Wife and I just got talking again on this subject and she's real set on the 310 solitude, so we have decided to go with the F350 DRW and feel safer that way. I appreciate your input sir. and from both of us. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave, thanks for that info. We have decided to just get the f350 drw and feel safer that way. that way no headaches on the numbers. Didn't really want the drw but its for the best.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second chance, hope you got my message sir, replied wit a quote so I hope that went thru. I'm new on here

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who replied, your info was spot on for helping me sort this out. Great to have Forums like this with such helpful people. GOD bless ya all.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyousnesss View Post
    Wife and I just got talking again on this subject and she's real set on the 310 solitude, so we have decided to go with the F350 DRW and feel safer that way. I appreciate your input sir. and from both of us. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
    Yes - got your message and thank you. We've just been busy with grandkids the last few days so I'm not on the forum as much as usual...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have decided on the grand design 310gk, we are new to this but have done much research on the numbers. Looking to buy a ford f350 crew 4x4 diesel. Thought I had this all figured out. I understand the numbers for the trailer the 22% to 23% pin weight. Understand the trucks cargo weight plus pin weight. I just read one guys blog who was very informative, but he has the GCVW at 22,500. So the question is, a ford f350 like we want for tow vehicle has a tow capacity of 27,500, and I've also seen different ratings for that model at 22,500. It gets confusing. So if the solitude 310 has a max of 15,000, then the f350 even with a tow capacity of 22,500 should be fine. I get that the pin weight would be over at 22%, if hypothetically say it weighed 14,000 then 22% would be 3,080, which pin weight for the 310 is 2,350,over by 730 pounds. So does the tow capacity of the truck mean its the trucks GVW plus the trailer GVW equals the GCVW, or does it mean that the truck can tow 22,500. Sorry if that's confusing, I want to tow safe and get this right. I see many do pull a 310 with a F350.
    Although a GMC driver, we faced the same situation with our 2020 Solitude. We first went with a 2019 GMC Denali Duramax, crew cab, short box, 4WD. Cargo capacity on that truck was 3499 lbs. I put the Timren bump stops to level the truck. We had plenty of torque and horsepower for towing and I am convinced we were overweight for cargo capacity when we had 4 adults in the truck. So, we traded for a 2021 GMC Denali, Duramax, crew cab, long bed 4WD, DRW. This truck has a payload of 5247 pounds. Now we have payload margin. Having now towed with both SRW and DRW, I will not go back to towing with a SRW truck. The added stability in width and length makes a huge difference. We just came across RT 9 in southern Vermont and the truck handled very well in steep and crooked terrain. The truck is our daily driver too and we have quickly learned that we back into parking spots and we don’t park close to store entrances.

Just my experience over about 5K towing miles so far in 2021.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow capacity is pretty much a meaningless marketing number, you'll hit rear axle or GCWR or GVWR long before you hit tow capacity.
    Just know a 310 is probably gonna be very close to your limits on a 1 ton SRW, it will work but a dually is a safer option. FWIW Ive towed mine coast to coast and a lot more on a 1 ton SRW without ever a problem. If you go SRW keep good tires on it and the speed and weight down and it will be fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have decided on the grand design 310gk, we are new to this but have done much research on the numbers. Looking to buy a ford f350 crew 4x4 diesel. Thought I had this all figured out. I understand the numbers for the trailer the 22% to 23% pin weight. Understand the trucks cargo weight plus pin weight. I just read one guys blog who was very informative, but he has the GCVW at 22,500. So the question is, a ford f350 like we want for tow vehicle has a tow capacity of 27,500, and I've also seen different ratings for that model at 22,500. It gets confusing. So if the solitude 310 has a max of 15,000, then the f350 even with a tow capacity of 22,500 should be fine. I get that the pin weight would be over at 22%, if hypothetically say it weighed 14,000 then 22% would be 3,080, which pin weight for the 310 is 2,350,over by 730 pounds. So does the tow capacity of the truck mean its the trucks GVW plus the trailer GVW equals the GCVW, or does it mean that the truck can tow 22,500. Sorry if that's confusing, I want to tow safe and get this right. I see many do pull a 310 with a F350.
    An F350 should be fine for the 310, just be careful what F350 you buy there is a major recall on 2020 and 2021 F350 SRW for rear axle problems.
    Last edited by Malco1; 08-15-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be wise to consider the F450 SRW, it'd handle it no problem. It also has a wider front axle, which gives it a tighter turning radius. I pivoted our 5th toyhauler years ago, it's nice to have that ability when you get into a tight spot. I would've gone F450 for our Imagine if it had been available w/o the diesel.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    You might be wise to consider the F450 SRW, it'd handle it no problem. It also has a wider front axle, which gives it a tighter turning radius. I pivoted our 5th toyhauler years ago, it's nice to have that ability when you get into a tight spot. I would've gone F450 for our Imagine if it had been available w/o the diesel.
    F-450 is DRW only, but would be nice to have the wide front axle on a SRW.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast