Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at 2017 Reflection 29RS Fifth Wheel Tomorrow: Anything to Watch Out For?

We are taking a look at a used unit tomorrow. Anything special about this model year or floor plan that we should look out for or ask the seller about. The seller is a private party that only used the unit a handful of times and is now selling due to health/age issues. Asking price is $37K. Thanks for any insights or assistance.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)
    Print and take a PDI form , this will give you plenty to check out....
    Also check inside cabinets and outside storage areas for signs of water, climb on the roof and check to see if it has been maintained.
    Don't fret the small stuff you can fix, it is used after all. Good luck!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roof is the main thing imo
    Like whittleburner said look for evidence of maintenance
    Gobs of sealant in different places is a good thing

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guy. This seller has a fully enclosed steel building that he has stored the rig in. So the roof has not been sitting out in the elements. I will be sure to climb up anyway and have a look around. We owned a Cedar Creek from 2007 - 2015, so I know a bit about what to look for on the roof, although I don't claim to be an RV PDI expert. I was more wondering if in 2017 there were some common build quality issues across the Reflection line or certain components that seem to be failing for quite a few folks that own that vintage.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replace the west lake tires if they are not already gone

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny. I was just on the phone with Discount Tire. I was looking at the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Any reason I should avoid these? They are about $43 per tire less than the Goodyear Endurance. The Carlisle's seem to get many good reviews in the RV forums.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ail-hd/p/27195

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it you see any “oily” looking areas on wheels the seals will need replacement
    Probably should repack them anyway since you don’t know history

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will check the seals. I don't think the original owners did much with this unit as the husband's health took a turn for the worse fairly close to the their purchase from the dealer. So not many miles on it. I will still replace the tires because we had an OEM Chinese tire blow out on our Cedar Creek with only 7,000 miles on the tires. The hassle and sidewall damage was a pain. On that Cedar Creek, we upsized the wheels to 17.5 and went to Continental commercial truck tires. That was a great upgrade as we never had another tire worry.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At some point you need to see the slides moving in and out. Awkward, but crawl under the unit and look at the coroplast underbelly and see if it has been cut and taped or patched for any reason - indicating a repair. Ask about any uncompleted or completed recalls. When you are close to closing, make sure the VIN numbers all match on the title and label at the left front of the unit.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ran the slides from the inside and they moved well, sounded fine and looked square in their openings. I looked at the bottom of the wardrobe slide and it was perfect. I did not study the bottom of the two slides in the living area, but will do so now that you mention it. The owner said his only return to the dealer for warranty work was for a slide adjustment and that was the slide with the stove and refer.

I found it interesting that the unit uses two different slide technologies. The largest slide was rack and pinion and the smaller two had some sort of worm drive on the side of the slide rooms. My old Cedar Creek had rack and pinion with hydraulic propulsion. The Reflection must have electric slide motors. Where are the motors located? Glad it does not have the cable system that I have seen on some.

Recall wise, he had the paperwork on a recall regarding an issue with certain wire connections. He did not bring it in for that recall. Are you guys familiar with that issue? Is it important enough to make sure that recall work is done?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast