User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    Really? How is that price gouging? Seems downright reasonable to me.
    But I come from an industry that's constantly accused of it too, so there's that.

2020 310GK - 2011 F350 SRW
    I think it's price gouging because I'm pretty sure I can do it in 2 hours and I've never done one before. And several mobile
    RV services wanted 1 1/2 hours for the same job. Plus their large markup for the parts, over 50% markup for standard parts
    from Lippert. But I wasn't really surprised that much, there's a reason they're nicknamed "stealers".

Their installed price for three slide toppers, only one of which is a large one, was over $2200. Nah, I think I'll do it myself.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could maybe try a mobile tech and compare.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have checked into the mobile RV services and they are about 1/2 the price, plus no upcharge on parts. But I'll have to admit after watching the process,
    I will most likely do it myself. The slides on our 351M are small to moderate, so it shouldn't be too bad. Our old Fuzion had a 21 foot slide topper! The largest
    topper on the 351 M is less than 10 feet.
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine myself. Four toppers. I had an assistant, because they take two people to install. Each one probably took me and my assistant close to an hour each but admittedly by the time I got to the end, I doubt the last one took that long.

So, if you assume two people to install (which is a valid and good assumption) and assume an hour per (maybe they are a tad faster than I was), then 2 hours per topper seems reasonable.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 08-12-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I did mine myself. Four toppers. I had an assistant, because they take two people to install. Each one probably took me and my assistant close to an hour each but admittedly by the time I got to the end, I doubt the last one took that long.

So, if you assume two people to install (which is a valid and good assumption) and assume an hour per (maybe they are a tad faster than I was), then 2 hours per topper seems reasonable.

Mike
    Figured that way seems reasonable, but it also equates to $150/hour for each worker. Them's pretty good wages. I guess I'm just too much of a tightwad.

Yes, I can definitely see the need for an assistant. Trying to do it yourself with no help would be an exercise in frustration.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion.

Slide toppers are good if you travel frequently to places where tree debris falls onto your slides.
    They are bad if you travel where there is a lot of wind.

Since we are FT in Texas coastal area with winter winds (and only Palm trees as cover), toppers were a PITA. We eventually ended up "tying down" the toppers with PVC and rope to prevent the noise with winds as little as 15mph.

Our new GD rig has no toppers and when we do camp in the trees (such as our recent trip to MN) I just go up top and use a broom to remove debris.

YMMV.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff. 108 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Figured that way seems reasonable, but it also equates to $150/hour for each worker. Them's pretty good wages. I guess I'm just too much of a tightwad.

Yes, I can definitely see the need for an assistant. Trying to do it yourself with no help would be an exercise in frustration.
    Well those workers don't make anywhere near that $150 an hour. All the adders for the dealership (utilities, rent, insurance blah blah) all contribute to building up that labor hour. I do think $150 an hour is high, but that's the labor rate of my dealer as well. I doubt those workers make more than $15-$20 an hour where Im at.

It's definitely doable with an assistant. I did it. Bought my toppers from eTrailer and me and my grandson installed. I didn't have to pay him anywhere near $150 an hour

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think $150/hour shop rate is bordering on outrageous. Even car/truck dealers aren't quite that high, although there may be some high end dealers at that
    point and beyond. I'm just glad I'm able to do most of my own work. I can't imagine having to rely on dealers and mobile RV work. Heck, I couldn't afford to go
    anywhere if I did. LOL
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just called a local dealer, and they wanted 2 hours labor PER TOPPER!! We have the 351M with three toppers, one fair sized and the other two are
    small. Over $800 in labor for the three toppers. That's just insane. I told them that was price gouging on a major scale.
    When I got my RV and ask the dealer how much will it be and they told me $2000 dollars and that was back in 2019 so I told them thank you.

You can look at a lot of YouTube video to show you how it's done.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's price gouging because I'm pretty sure I can do it in 2 hours and I've never done one before. And several mobile
    RV services wanted 1 1/2 hours for the same job. Plus their large markup for the parts, over 50% markup for standard parts
    from Lippert. But I wasn't really surprised that much, there's a reason they're nicknamed "stealers".

Their installed price for three slide toppers, only one of which is a large one, was over $2200. Nah, I think I'll do it myself.

Learn to do it yourself, when the dealer told me that to install a washer & dryer in my RV for $2200 dollars I said thank you and I did it myself, after watching a lot of YouTube video and buying the washer & dryer myself at a discount I did it myself.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast