User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    IMO a better idea than the bolt in place of a set screw is to make a divot in the shaft, use a conical set screw, and some locktite on the set screw. A bolt
    isn't inherently "better" than a set screw, in fact in some cases it would be worse, as the bottom of the bolt is flat and the set screw should be serrated.
    But you can tighten a bolt down enough to strip out the threads. All the set screw has to be is snug, which is the reason for the divot, and conical end.
    You have to remember, the bolt or set screw is tightening down on a flat surface. The shaft that comes out of the gearbox is a hexagonal shaft and the drilled and tapped hole in the outer portion is located such that the set screw or the bolt will tighten on a flat surface. Then, you have secondary protection against the shaft moving if the shaft is as far as it can go (and it is) against the streetside input shaft, and you then put the hose clamp up against the other end of the shaft....the end with the set screw or bolt.
    Last edited by xrated; 08-25-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You have to remember, the bolt or set screw is tightening down on a flat surface. The shaft that comes out of the gearbox is a hexagonal shaft and the drilled and tapped hole in the outer portion is located such that the set screw or the bolt will tighten on a flat surface. Then, you have secondary protection against the shaft moving if the shaft is as far as it can go (and it is) against the streetside input shaft, and you then put the hose clamp up against the other end of the shaft....the end with the set screw or bolt.
    That's why I said to make a divot in the shaft where the set screw sits. And if you look at most setscrews you'll see that the end of a set screw is usually serrated, or divoted
    to enable them to grip the key/shaft. A bolt is simply flat on the bottom, it's not designed to work as a setscrew. You can use the hose clamp, but if the setscrew is used properly
    then it is really unnecessary. I'll have to admit in this application a pin would probably been better than a simple setscrew.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 08-25-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I am going to transport 3 people's riding gear & clothes up there this coming week. I'll find out how well it works and post up here.
    So, I went to Belfry, Montana (Elk Basin, specifically) and back with the upper deck loaded with 3 folding chairs, a 30 lbs. piece of carpet, a ~25 lbs. gear tote, a ~40 lbs. tire changing rack, a fresh rear Dunlop GeoMax MX33 tire. So let's say I had around 120 lbs up there.

Round trip was about 1000 miles and the last 15 or so was washboard dirt road with the final 500 yards to the campsite being 2 track rutted & waterbar strewn.

With just the brake holding the HappiJac in place and everything secured under the bungee netting, I had no problems. Just to make it a little more friendly, I'm going to put a layer of thin carpeting onto the wood panel base for future use.

But I think I have a great equipment transport solution now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jiggy.gif 
Views:	68 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	36490
    YMMV of course.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 09-05-2021 at 07:35 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another follow up on this HappiJac storage concept.

Earlier this month I took a pretty long trip in the SW states (Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona). The entire trip I used the upper bunk to store some folding chairs (like my Momentum zero gravity chairs), some carpeting for the campsite, and the original mattress from the top bunk.

On the return trip I put my GoPro in the garage and filmed the movement while going down the freeway. This (edited) video shows the biggest jolts and vibration that I filmed.

Some notes/observations:
    • This was going north from Denver on I25 in Colorado at about 70 mph. There currently is construction all along this route.
    • There was probably about 50 lbs on the top bunk.
    • There was nothing on the bottom bunk/couches.
    • The HappiJac trollies for the bottom bunk were run all the way up until the motor stopped. The top bunk was not latched, but resting directly on the lower trollies.
    • It seems the bottom bunk/couches move quite a bit even with no weight on them.
    • The top bunk has some lateral movement - which is allowed by the slotted brackets - but really nothing vertical.
    • The 2 dirt bikes and the mountain bike are secured with my BoltItOn rack.

signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears the movement of the lower couch is just the unsupported backs bouncing up and down. Actually if there was some weight on them, they probably wouldn't flex that much. I figure it's not that much effort to pin the upper bunk, so I do. Personal preference I suppose. That is on a 2019, and I think the newer designs lock a bit differently.

I think the only concern I would have about gear on the upper bunk is the chance of something moving the brake locking lever. Not likely though. Some of the motors are located in a position that would allow an upward motion to unlatch the brake.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck yes! I built side’s to the upper bed so that when all the way elevated the us only a 1/2 inch gap, so nothing will vibrate over the edge. Be sure to leave a cutout at the back for the motor and axle. All our folding lawn recliners, motorcycle stuff, outdoor carpets, etc go there, so when rolling with the GS in the garage I can actually get around the garage if necessary.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123