User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sealing the seal... (silicone along top slideout rubber seal)

Hello everyone,

A few days ago while staying in Wyoming, we had a pretty strong rain over night. As we wanted to leave early the next morning, I ran in the slideout of my Imagine XLS 23bhe the evening before. Suddenly, when the rain got really hard, I heard some water noise and saw water coming down the rear end of the slide (between kitchen and bathroom wall). I was quickly able to catch it with a towel and some paper towels, no damage I'm sure. The water came from the top of the slideout, between the two flat seals.

After inspecting the roof and slide seals the next day, I saw that the factory applied silicone along the top slide seal, where it meets the side wall. This silicone has quite some small holes, where you can pull the rubber seal a bit off the wall and it would lead directly into the area where i saw the water, between the two flat seals. I covered the corner between slide seal and side wall with gorilla tape for now, and at least in the last days driving through rain and thunderstorms i didnt see any water in that area anymore.

Nevertheless, I'll take that as the trigger to finally install a slide topper, ordered already. Before installation, I wanna get the silicone seal on the rubber seal right, of course. It's there anything better than just putting new silicone on it? From what I found, Sikaflex shouldn't be used on rubber deals.

Thanks
    Matt
    2020 Imagine XLS 23bhe with a cold bedroom
    2018 F150 STX 5.0

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm dealing with the exact same issue on our 22mle. I was able to spend some time at home to properly investigate and notice that the slide when closed does not fully compress the D seal seal. From 4ft from the front to 1 ft of the rear of the slide I measured a 2mm gape between the slide and the D seal. After speaking to GD, they said that the D seal needs a 30% compression to seal properly. It looks like I have a slight arch on the TT wall where the slide is. It's going back in to a different dealer as it's been to my original one 3 times already for this issue. They keep on saying that there's nothing wrong. IDK but water puddles on the tt floor ain't normal in my book and GD agrees.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ynot4me2; 08-11-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the D seal and it looked fine and evenly compressed throughout the length of the slide, but I'll make sure to check again. Was planning on trying to deal with it without the dealer, but maybe I'll reconsider that and see what they say.
    Today I looked again under the flat seal. We had no rain since Monday morning, so two dry days and a night in between and there was actually some water between first and second seal. Not much, and I'm not sure if it was from condensation maybe? I can't think of anything that would let water leak in that area...

I hate water in RVs