User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have responded to this situation a couple of times... We already had a 2006 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel when we suddenly came across a "used only twice and still under warranty" Solitude 379FL with a "deal of the century" from a private party. I spent a few hotel nights while working out of town to pore over the 2006 F250 towing specs and found that although close, our truck met the towing requirements by a few hundred pounds.

While driving between Michigan and Florida a couple of times I started to notice that I had a slight 'sway' that I did not have pulling our previous smaller, lighter 5er. Looking at the weight that the truck had to manage, doing the math I realized that the new Michelin truck tires were at max loading. It scared me to death of the outcome that would result if one of those truck tires blew in the Tennessee mountains!

In 2006, The F250 and F350 were basically the same truck, with a couple of exceptions... The single rear wheel F350 had the exact same axle the F250 had. The F350 with dual rear wheels may or may not have the same rear axle ratio as mine. The 2006 F350, either SRW or DRW had the same diesel engine and drivetrain as the F250. We found a less expensive alternative than buying a 1-ton truck: We bought and installed a dually kit for our F250. With 4 new Michelin tires (narrower ones for the dually's), the kit with 7 alloy rims, two fiberglass dually fenders with hardware, paint, and installation: About $4200.

Now, not a bit of sway, and my four rear tires are running at half capacity. The company I used is just north of Detroit and makes kits for Ford and GM. www.arrowcraft.com This will solve two of your problems.

Two caveats... 1. You will no longer be able to fit your truck through a 8 foot wide door. 2. My brother pulls a 42 foot almost 14K 5er with a 2018 Sierra 2500 Dura-Max SRW. He claims he has no sway whatsoever. I can't believe that.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2020 Denali 3500 that I have is 4180, and 21300 towing. I believe they beefed up the suspension after 2019, and also added the 10 speed transmission. Completely awesome shifting……

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    I had a 1/2 ton that took a Helwig antisway bar and 2K air bags to get it to ride like I wanted when pulling the camper listed below. My current 3/4 ton was really improved when I added 5k airbags.
    This past weekend, I hauled several 10K# loads of gravel in my dump trailer and the truck remained level and very stable, unlike the last time I hauled gravel (before the air bags).
    The thing I really like about the air bags is the adjustability, my camper likes 25psi, the dump trailer likes 50 psi.
    I also added the Helwig antisway bar on the rear axle. this really helps with the winding roads. now that i'm at 36000 miles i'll probably upgrade the shocks next.

Bill

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is something to think about that no one has addressed. Each post I read has suggested putting the band aid on your truck to attempt to fix the problem. Your trailer is inducing the sway as you turn through the curves. It wants to lean outward in the turn taking the truck with it. That is a big tail wagging the dog no matter how big the dog is. Have you thought about addressing the trailer sway? Sumo Springs added to your trailer's leaf springs would help immensely at not much cost. Besides controlling roll when turning they will also serve to damp bounce and give added support to the springs.
    Because it tends to be bouncy I put them on my trailer which is smaller and lighter and the fist thing I noticed was how much better it it handled taking a turn going onto the very first highway on-ramp. Less tail wagging the dog now.

https://www.superspringsinternationa...r-sumosprings/
    Quite frequently they have 10 to 15% off specials so watch for it Labor Day.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-22-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billdorn View Post
    I also added the Helwig antisway bar on the rear axle. this really helps with the winding roads. now that i'm at 36000 miles i'll probably upgrade the shocks next.

Bill
    As an upgrade to the truck's handling these would be, in fact were, my first and only additions to the suspension.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryi View Post
    My payload capacity sticker is at 3955lbs, CAT scales loaded with family, fuel, water, etc had me at 3500lbs pin weight so i'm heavy but not over weight and i've weighed on two separate trips and been in the similar range. I run Michelin Defender tires that are the higher load range to try and minimize sidewall roll. I appreciate the comments, just trying to not be throwing money at accessories guessing which one works since they all advertise as being the solution.
    Timbrens, they are inexpensive and don't change the no load characteristics of the truck. They are very easy to install and require no maintenance. Give them a try they can't hurt and will add stability.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Great minds think alike. [emoji4]
    X3 - there have been a number of posts over the years with shocks being the issue with this and other conditions of various trucks. We too have noticed a greater push by the fiver pin in recent years to the outside of the rear end when cornering particularly when going downhill and turning. I have the same generation (but a 2500) and if I was not going to replace the truck over the winter the rear shocks would be replaced.

If you replace them, please share back how towing is/may be affected in your situation.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people don't know when their shocks have gone bad. They normally will go bad slowly not all at once. You will think they are fine until you replace them and feel such a big difference. I don't know if it has changed or not but they use to recommend changing them at about 50k to 60k miles. three ways to check for bad shocks. One is to get the vehicle bouncing as much as you can by pushing up and down on the bumper. Vehicle should come to a complete stop after 1 and 1/2 bounces when you stop. 2nd is to look at them and see if there is any leakage. On rear drive above the rear end there is a bumper. Look to see if the vehicle has been bottoming out. On your trucks that could be a little tricky because of the load put on the back pulling it down putting the bumper and rear end closer together.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    X3 - there have been a number of posts over the years with shocks being the issue with this and other conditions of various trucks. We too have noticed a greater push by the fiver pin in recent years to the outside of the rear end when cornering particularly when going downhill and turning. I have the same generation (but a 2500) and if I was not going to replace the truck over the winter the rear shocks would be replaced.

If you replace them, please share back how towing is/may be affected in your situation.

Dan
    New shocks don't cost all that much. Maybe $200 for a set of good quality shocks. Funny how the cheaper and easiest solutions are overlooked until it turns out it was the problem.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fox 2.0 IFP performance series adjustable on the rear, smooth body standard on front and stabilizer . Last shocks you will ever purchase. They are serviceable, recommended at 50K miles for standard road use. Run these on my F450, never go back to Rancho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast