User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Funny how the cheaper and easiest solutions are overlooked until it turns out it was the problem.
    Mike - no truer words have been spoken !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryi View Post
    I have a 2014 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax and tow a S-Class 3550BH. I've weighed it loaded and know i'm within my rated capacities. I have normally towed on the east coast and never had issues. We traveled out west this summer putting on 11,000 miles over two months. I noticed on the more curvy and hilly highways of the west, the rear end of the truck would feel mushy and I would slow down at times in turns. I know some would say get a dually and I don't disagree. I am hoping to hold off on a dually for a bit longer and don't want to throw money at accessories guessing which one may make a difference. Would investing in air bags? Timbrens? Torsion Bars? make a difference? Anyone make these additions and feel like it made a difference? I see many SRW Chevy's pulling my trailer or comparable without getting into the bigger/heavier rigs that definitely require dually and wonder if others have made modifications that have helped this problem? Thanks.
    Whoa, wait, you pulled 11k miles in two months? That's across the US 2.5 times. I don't believe it. And duallies are more brag than shag...we pulled the highest winds through New Mexico, Blue Ridge Parkway and the worst was Columbia River Valley, enroute Portland 1 week ago, all in a Chevy 3500 SRW, but nothing scary....Duallies just make it harder to pull into Walmart, ask your spouse(partner)...I think you need to get the 2020/2021 Silverado brother, she's an amazing ride.

Definitely do not get a Ford, they have more lawsuits than new product features. I'd consider a Ram but they feel new to the big haul business.
    Last edited by MommasBoy; 08-24-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check the shocks first. I have airbags along with a rear sway bar, the handling/shocks will slowly deteriorate. I found myself increasing the airbags when towing to compensate for worn shocks. I recently changed the shocks with 60K miles on them and it was night and day difference while towing and not towing. The old ones had very little resistance and I am amazed how much better the truck drives.

Changing shocks all started because I was chasing the start of "death wobble". Started with shocks and corrected it with replacing the track bar bushing and track bar ball joint. If it wasn't for the steering issue, I'm not sure I would have changed the shocks, bitter sweet. I'm now going to check my shocks periodically but first indication is how the truck handles.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 03/2018,
    Sailun 235/80/16 G Rated tires, TST507 TPMS,
    Titan electric / hydraulic Disc Brakes
    2015 Ford Platinum 6.7 Short Bed, B&W Turnoverball,
    Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure one of your leaf springs didn’t break.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get a kick out of the defense of SRWs and towing heavy on the pins... Until you've run both, you just don't understand. There are many converts here after finally doing just that.

Nevertheless, as a reformed GM guy, I concur with everyone that it telling you to replace your shocks with Bilsteins and then looking at either adding or going to a larger rear sway bar, whichever is your circumstance. These take a bite out of your wallet, but aren't a truck payment.

However, being a S-Class owner myself of nearly the same size though heavier on the pin, if your trailer suspension is still stock and you invest in some upgrades there you will be amazed in the different attitude of the rig towing. I believe it was Wicked Ace that began down the road discussing the roll related to the high-center-of-gravity beasts. If you replace the puny stock shackles with HD units, it tightens up the side-to-side slop very noticeably in a little more than $100 investment. Add bracing between the spring mounts, and improvement increases again and keeps the hangers from distorting. Install a Roadmaster shock kit on the trailer and you're as good as it gets this side of an IS!
    Last edited by geotex1; 08-28-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with the upgrades on the trailer suspension. I have a much lighter rig, but after installing Endurance and the LCI Road Armor and HD shackles the trailer tows SOOO much better! It tracks really well behind our TV.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123