User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3500 Chevy SRW rear end feels mushy in turns towing 5th wheel

I have a 2014 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax and tow a S-Class 3550BH. I've weighed it loaded and know i'm within my rated capacities. I have normally towed on the east coast and never had issues. We traveled out west this summer putting on 11,000 miles over two months. I noticed on the more curvy and hilly highways of the west, the rear end of the truck would feel mushy and I would slow down at times in turns. I know some would say get a dually and I don't disagree. I am hoping to hold off on a dually for a bit longer and don't want to throw money at accessories guessing which one may make a difference. Would investing in air bags? Timbrens? Torsion Bars? make a difference? Anyone make these additions and feel like it made a difference? I see many SRW Chevy's pulling my trailer or comparable without getting into the bigger/heavier rigs that definitely require dually and wonder if others have made modifications that have helped this problem? Thanks.
    2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW SB Duramax
    2021 Solitude 3550BH
    Reese Goosebox Gen2 20K

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1/2 ton that took a Helwig antisway bar and 2K air bags to get it to ride like I wanted when pulling the camper listed below. My current 3/4 ton was really improved when I added 5k airbags.
    This past weekend, I hauled several 10K# loads of gravel in my dump trailer and the truck remained level and very stable, unlike the last time I hauled gravel (before the air bags).
    The thing I really like about the air bags is the adjustability, my camper likes 25psi, the dump trailer likes 50 psi.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think air bags would help that. I run them but to keep it from bouncing of the overload on rough roads.

Tires would be my first thing to check. I have run tires before that seem to have a softer side wall and that could contribute to a mushy feeling n the corners.

Maybe a heavier rear sway bar. But now I'm throwing darts at the wall. Way beyond my experience there.

Not sure what else to try, I run a heavier trailer than that on my 2017 and don't get that feeling.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the Solitude specs, huge payload tor that rig, nearly 4K (at least for the current year)!

I can see the truck struggling if you go to the high end of those numbers. Your pin weight at max could be between 3100 and 3900lbs. That pin weight alone uses more payload than your truck has.

Air Bags or Timbrins would certainly help with “Sag”, but probably not too much with the suspension movement or “roll”.

You could add a leaf, but doing that would degrade the non-loaded ride of your truck.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but your truck is overloaded.

My best advice is to try to keep your rig weight to say 14k until such time as you are able to go to a dually.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My payload capacity sticker is at 3955lbs, CAT scales loaded with family, fuel, water, etc had me at 3500lbs pin weight so i'm heavy but not over weight and i've weighed on two separate trips and been in the similar range. I run Michelin Defender tires that are the higher load range to try and minimize sidewall roll. I appreciate the comments, just trying to not be throwing money at accessories guessing which one works since they all advertise as being the solution.
    2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW SB Duramax
    2021 Solitude 3550BH
    Reese Goosebox Gen2 20K

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryi View Post
    My payload capacity sticker is at 3955lbs, CAT scales loaded with family, fuel, water, etc had me at 3500lbs pin weight so i'm heavy but not over weight and i've weighed on two separate trips and been in the similar range. I run Michelin Defender tires that are the higher load range to try and minimize sidewall roll. I appreciate the comments, just trying to not be throwing money at accessories guessing which one works since they all advertise as being the solution.
    Wow, that is great. Thanks for the clarification! I was going off the similar payload of my Denali which is only around 3500.

You could look into a combo of say Timbrins with adjustable shocks?

Your best bet is to add a leaf, but that would really make your truck bouncy and stiff when empty.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do basic airbags. Each one will have its own line and fill.

If they get "T"d together, you will just push air from one side to the other.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryi View Post
    I have a 2014 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax and tow a S-Class 3550BH. I've weighed it loaded and know i'm within my rated capacities. I have normally towed on the east coast and never had issues. We traveled out west this summer putting on 11,000 miles over two months. I noticed on the more curvy and hilly highways of the west, the rear end of the truck would feel mushy and I would slow down at times in turns. I know some would say get a dually and I don't disagree. I am hoping to hold off on a dually for a bit longer and don't want to throw money at accessories guessing which one may make a difference. Would investing in air bags? Timbrens? Torsion Bars? make a difference? Anyone make these additions and feel like it made a difference? I see many SRW Chevy's pulling my trailer or comparable without getting into the bigger/heavier rigs that definitely require dually and wonder if others have made modifications that have helped this problem? Thanks.
    I had a Chevrolet 3500 Duramax that felt the same way towing a similar fifth wheel. First, the stock shocks were absolutely mush at 20,000 miles. I replaced with Bilstein hd shocks and added Timbren springs. What a difference. It was an amazing upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I had a Chevrolet 3500 Duramax that felt the same way towing a similar fifth wheel. First, the stock shocks were absolutely mush at 20,000 miles. I replaced with Bilstein hd shocks and added Timbren springs. What a difference. It was an amazing upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Great minds think alike. [emoji4]
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I throw in my 2 cents.....

I wouldn't bother with the air bags; at least it wouldn't be my first choice. They are great at leveling the mash-up, but I don't think they help with sway.

I'd going to suggest both shocks and a bigger sway bar. I suppose I'd do a big sway bar first since that lean is what they are suppose to correct. I put some Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on my truck and they helped a lot when set at the firmest setting for towing; I lower them to 1/2 firmness when empty.

Good luck... 'murphy's law" probably says that whatever you try first probably won't be the final solution..... I'm sure you'll get it figured out tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast