User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    Remember that for the holding tanks to get any warm air through the ducting, you have to run the propane heater. IMO that's expensive and short-lived with 40# tanks. I've run out of propane at 2am with 40#ers, and learned quickly that electric heaters were the way to go, so the 20#ers that GD is sending many models out the door with today are, IMO, a joke. Our plan is to either stay home during cold spells or install electric heating pads on all 4 tanks. From the looks of my honey-do list, we'll be staying home.
    Fortunately my holding tanks already have electric heating pads on them. I plan to run the electric heater in the basement just because the propane heat can get way too hot inside the RV living area. That said, I figure with the use of some propane heat, electric tank heater pads, and a small electric heater in the basement too, I should be able to keep things warm enough down there to avoid any serious issues with the tankless water heater. I expect the coldest outdoor weather I'll be camping in is about 20 degrees. Beyond that, we will definitely have wrapped up our camping season and winterize the RV.

Hopefully, the tankless water heater won't end up being a problem or the weak link in colder weather usage. If these measures do not work I suppose I will end up replacing the tankless water heater with a regular tanked water heater like I've always had in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read the thread on the Furrion tankless hot water heater. We have a new 2022 303rls. The heater body is located under the hutch last cabinet door. I opened it up this AM and there is plenty of room for a small electric heater or heat lamp. We winter in central FL where it will dip below 39 on a few occasions. I will try the a lamp and keep the cabinet door open on chilly nights.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took delivery of our fourth 5th wheel in April, a 337RLS. It also has the Furrion Tankless water heater and we've used it in temperatures as low 35 F. We've found if we are city water then the system works great with an endless supply of hot water. When dry camping the Furrion system works great in the shower and bathroom sink, but is very intermittent in the kitchen. It seems the heater cuts in and out too much. Anyway going back to dealer at the end of season for a couple minor warranty things, but other than that we are very happy with the unit.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not too happy about the water heater not being good for less than 39 degrees either.
    But I just read on their website that they are only good up to 4500 feet above sea level without a software change. We have to contact them to find out how to do this. Why would they not put this in the manual.
    Reflection 303 rls
    2021 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ standard bed 6.6 gas engine
    B&W hitch with puck system

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAiman View Post
    But I just read on their website that they are only good up to 4500 feet above sea level without a software change. We have to contact them to find out how to do this. Why would they not put this in the manual.
    Maybe they just found out....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been following the temperature issue as it's a big concern for us. We start our camping season when temps are below freezing and most of the time end it in November when the temps are just as cold. I'm thinking about adding a heater inside the cover of the hot water heater. I haven't gotten to the actual process yet, but here's what I'm looking at: a thin silicone heater pad. Possibly inside the cover somewhere. I'll let everyone know what I come up with. It isn't ideal but if it works, great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210828_071112.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	36372
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    I've been following the temperature issue as it's a big concern for us. We start our camping season when temps are below freezing and most of the time end it in November when the temps are just as cold. I'm thinking about adding a heater inside the cover of the hot water heater. I haven't gotten to the actual process yet, but here's what I'm looking at: a thin silicone heater pad. Possibly inside the cover somewhere. I'll let everyone know what I come up with. It isn't ideal but if it works, great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210828_071112.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	36372
    Just keep in mind you'll still have to drain/winterize the water heater for towing to/from your camping locations.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Just keep in mind you'll still have to drain/winterize the water heater for towing to/from your camping locations.

Rob
    Or just turn on my inverter...

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    Or just turn on my inverter...
    Check on the current draw of any resistive heating elements.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Check on the current draw of any resistive heating elements.

Rob
    Yep I understand. There is a range of wattages and sizes for those pads. It would only need to be 25 to 50 watts from my educated guess. Wouldn't take much to raise the inside of the water heater 10-15 degrees. There's room on the right side and behind the stiffening plate on the front.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast