User Tag List

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
    We tried to minimize the use of the propane heat during our trip and so that is why we had the small heater in the basement. The tankless water heaters doesn't seem to use up too much propane on its own but the propane heater seems to go through it fairly quickly. However, if we were using the propane heater then I think I probably wouldn't need to do any other supplemental heating in the basement at all. Since we do not boondock very often we would rather use the electricity included in the cost of the nightly rate than to use up our propane that we would have to replace at additional cost. We did run the propane heat on occasion though when we wanted to get the RV to a certain temp more quickly.

Our RV model is the 2022 Reflection 367BHS and yes the propane heater is next to the tankless water heater. I actually removed the "wall" separating that area of the basement from the storage bay and took a good look back there. I think the propane heater will keep that area quite warm. There is also plenty of space for me to install the bilge heater as well. I feel more confident now that I am not really going to have to worry about the tankless water heater being a problem in colder weather.
    That all makes sense. I've not even used my heater yet, but I know from my previous imagine xls that propane burn with the heater is surprising. Having a couple of space heaters is an excellent idea. Thanks!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am very disappointed with the tankless water heater. What a bad decision GD made.

What I'm about to type I am not recommending but it is what happened.

Last night the outside temperature got down to 33 or 34 degrees. Below the infamous 39 but not actually freezing. We did not run the furnace. We had a space heater in the living area to keep us warm. No heat in the pass through storage area. This morning all is well with the tankless water heater. I figured it was going to be okay since it didn't actually get to freezing temps.

I figure the infamous 39 degrees is their temperature cushion so they don't have to fix warranty claims when somebody camps below freezing. Artic package with the Furrion tankless heater is a joke.

I just need to go another week before winterizing and it's not supposed to get below 40 over the next week.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive only been out one trip in freezing weather since installing the silicone heating pad in the water heater. We set up the furnace to kick on at 60 degrees and the fireplace was set at 68. I don't believe the furnace ran but once or twice each night. Outside night FAT was about 26-28 degrees and the day FAT was around 50 degrees. The compartment (we call it the basement) was around 50 degrees. The lowest temperature inside the water heater was around 39 degrees. I believe the heater pad did its job. The thermostatic disc is to close at 35 and open at 39. Keep in mind the location of the disk is right at the vent openings and the thermometer was in a bit further, under the strainer/screen. I believe it was a success.

Other than the cold weather concern, I love that water heater. No more crabby wife when she runs out of hot water rinsing her hair.
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    Ive only been out one trip in freezing weather since installing the silicone heating pad in the water heater. We set up the furnace to kick on at 60 degrees and the fireplace was set at 68. I don't believe the furnace ran but once or twice each night. Outside night FAT was about 26-28 degrees and the day FAT was around 50 degrees. The compartment (we call it the basement) was around 50 degrees. The lowest temperature inside the water heater was around 39 degrees. I believe the heater pad did its job. The thermostatic disc is to close at 35 and open at 39. Keep in mind the location of the disk is right at the vent openings and the thermometer was in a bit further, under the strainer/screen. I believe it was a success.

Other than the cold weather concern, I love that water heater. No more crabby wife when she runs out of hot water rinsing her hair.
    Thanks for that update! It does sound like that mod has done the trick. I've got the parts now, looks like I have a project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Everyone,

My hubby and I are full time camp hosts in Colorado, and it gets down to the teens here. Our 2021 reflection 315RLTS came standard with a tankless water heater...we were thrilled, because we were going to install one after market, but we didn't need to. It works really well, and we love it! Here's the caveat. Our hot water has frozen about four times already, causing a leak below the tank.

Not knowing exactly where the lines were freezing, we looked into how the unit works. We did some research, and found out that it isn't winter friendly and can freeze or get damaged at 39 degrees and below.

We purchased a four season travel trailer to winter in. When we purchased it, there was no mention of the 39 degree low point warning! So we finally figured out the water lines weren't freezing, the unit itself is freezing! The only way to avoid the freezing hot the water inlet inside the unit, is to stream water through the faucets when the temps drop. Not drip..stream. We have also thought of putting heat tape or even a heating pad on it...but we can't access the water inlet inside the unit. To avoid freezing water, we keep our RV at around 70 degrees at night and have even place a small space heater under the closet behind the unit to keep it warm, but it still freezes if we don't stream the water taps.

We are super disappointed, because we love this tankless water heater. So far it is still working and it doesn't freeze any more... if we stream the water when the temps dip at night...which is every night here. But we are really concerned the unit has been damaged. We haven't reached out to Grand Design yet, but wanted to add our experience here.

Thank you!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post

Hey RPAspey,
    Wondering if you have had any chances to go out again in freezing weather? just curious how that modification worked out with somewhat lower temps? Still feel like it's a safe alternative to having to shut off and drain the tankless heater?
    Thanks for the update!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming103 View Post
    Hey RPAspey,
    Wondering if you have had any chances to go out again in freezing weather? just curious how that modification worked out with somewhat lower temps? Still feel like it's a safe alternative to having to shut off and drain the tankless heater?
    Thanks for the update!
    I haven't been back out. Had to put her to bed until spring. It won't be until March sometime until I bring her home.
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been super happy with our on demand hot water....until I read all this BS. Thanks a lot. Now I'm scared to even use it in the winter.

39F? That number is a joke. Dang laws of physics must have changed. LOL
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    I've been super happy with our on demand hot water....until I read all this BS. Thanks a lot. Now I'm scared to even use it in the winter.

39F? That number is a joke. Dang laws of physics must have changed. LOL
    Yep. Bummed me out too. The sales folks really played up the “arctic” BS with no mention of this weak link. I’m in Oklahoma too. Been breaking ice for the cows but my wife won’t tolerate me breaking ice for her so I guess winter camping is a no-go.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    Yep. Bummed me out too. The sales folks really played up the “arctic” BS with no mention of this weak link. I’m in Oklahoma too. Been breaking ice for the cows but my wife won’t tolerate me breaking ice for her so I guess winter camping is a no-go.
    Preach it. Breaking ice isn't much fun, but so far, it's dang sure better than last year! Kids played hockey with sticks on the pond last year until I told them it was time to water the cows and break some of it up.

Wife wants to take the camper out this weekend. I'm not really in the mood to de-winterize then winterize again two days later but I guess here we are. Boss and worker bee both know their role. LOL
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast