User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like someone didn’t think that through in design—having an Arctic package but a “not so Arctic” water heater. I bet that changes on future editions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I just installed my solution to protect the water heater from freezing temps. I found a 15watt, 12 volt silicone heater and a 35 degree snap switch (on at 35 and off at 45). I tapped off the load side of the switch for power, installed the snap switch on the removable plate. I was able to slide the heater pad under the control. It's not secured, so I'm able to adjust the position if necessary. So, it'll be enabled anytime the outside power switch is on. [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1089.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	36897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1092.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	36898[A]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1090.jpg 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	36899
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    Ok, I just installed my solution to protect the water heater from freezing temps. I found a 15watt, 12 volt silicone heater and a 35 degree snap switch (on at 35 and off at 45). I tapped off the load side of the switch for power, installed the snap switch on the removable plate. I was able to slide the heater pad under the control. It's not secured, so I'm able to adjust the position if necessary. So, it'll be enabled anytime the outside power switch is on. [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1089.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	36897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1092.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	36898[A]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1090.jpg 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	36899
    That is an awesome idea. Any links to the heater and switch or name/model numbers you can provide? Be sure and report back when you get a chance to try it out in sub freezing temps. I'm really interested in seeing this work. Most of our camping happens in the winter, and 20 degrees nights are not out of the question. That's one of the reasons I got a grand design with the "arctic package". We had an XLS with the 6 gal tank heater and never had any issues at all with it. I'm so disappointed the new 2022 320 MKS upgrade is a down grade in some areas or it will be if we can't camp in sub freezing temps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming1033 View Post
    That is an awesome idea. Any links to the heater and switch or name/model numbers you can provide? Be sure and report back when you get a chance to try it out in sub freezing temps. I'm really interested in seeing this work. Most of our camping happens in the winter, and 20 degrees nights are not out of the question. That's one of the reasons I got a grand design with the "arctic package". We had an XLS with the 6 gal tank heater and never had any issues at all with it. I'm so disappointed the new 2022 320 MKS upgrade is a down grade in some areas or it will be if we can't camp in sub freezing temps.
    I also glued Aero-gel insulation to the cover. Bought 10mm. Could go thinner. Just to monitor the situation, I also bought an in/out thermometer with min/max. Here are the links:

Icstation Heating Pad Electric... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KTPPGB...p_mob_ap_share

Senasys Snap Disc Thermostat... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026S6WGK...p_mob_ap_share

Hiwowsport Aerogel Insulation... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFZHTRL...p_mob_ap_share

Refrigerator Thermometer Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084ZEE4Q...p_mob_ap_share

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    I also glued Aero-gel insulation to the cover. Bought 10mm. Could go thinner. Just to monitor the situation, I also bought an in/out thermometer with min/max. Here are the links:

Icstation Heating Pad Electric... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KTPPGB...p_mob_ap_share

Senasys Snap Disc Thermostat... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026S6WGK...p_mob_ap_share

Hiwowsport Aerogel Insulation... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFZHTRL...p_mob_ap_share

Refrigerator Thermometer Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084ZEE4Q...p_mob_ap_share
    Thanks so Much! Have you had it out yet in sub freezing temps yet? I really like the fact you went with a 12 volt, that hopefully will keep things from freezing during your travels without having to drain things. By the way, your job looks very professional!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming1033 View Post
    Thanks so Much! Have you had it out yet in sub freezing temps yet? I really like the fact you went with a 12 volt, that hopefully will keep things from freezing during your travels without having to drain things. By the way, your job looks very professional!
    I was only able to simulate freezing weather by holding an ice cube on the temperature switch. Good enough to verify operation. Hopefully it'll be cold enough to test on our next trip in a week or so.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1130.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	37193

Pic of the Aero-gel insulation.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I just returned from a 3,040 mile roundtrip out to Dubois, WY from Nashville, TN. While in Wyoming, we had nights where the temps went into the 20s. The good news is that having a small heater in the basement, which I had set to cycle on/off using a thermostatically controlled power outlet, managed to keep the basement and water heater warm enough to prevent any issues. The water heater worked fine no matter the outside temperature.

Additionally, the elevation in Dubois, WY is over 6,900 feet. This too did not seem to have any negative effect on the function of the water heater.

I am pleased to see that it appears we will be able to use the RV normally in colder climates in spite of the Furrion warnings regarding the water heater. I plan to get a bilge heater (like for boats and safer than a space heater) which I will install in the basement. This should give me a more permanent solution to keeping that area warm when the weather is cold.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
    My wife and I just returned from a 3,040 mile roundtrip out to Dubois, WY from Nashville, TN. While in Wyoming, we had nights where the temps went into the 20s. The good news is that having a small heater in the basement, which I had set to cycle on/off using a thermostatically controlled power outlet, managed to keep the basement and water heater warm enough to prevent any issues. The water heater worked fine no matter the outside temperature.

Additionally, the elevation in Dubois, WY is over 6,900 feet. This too did not seem to have any negative effect on the function of the water heater.

I am pleased to see that it appears we will be able to use the RV normally in colder climates in spite of the Furrion warnings regarding the water heater. I plan to get a bilge heater (like for boats and safer than a space heater) which I will install in the basement. This should give me a more permanent solution to keeping that area warm when the weather is cold.
    That's encouraging, and will be a good solution if you aren't boondocking, but I wonder with the heat that is already in basement with the ducted heating system, if you would even need additional heating. I noticed today on my 320mks which I went and looked at to get a grasp on what RPAspey was doing and I noticed the propane heating system is located right next to the tankless heater. Perhaps that location will also help to keep the system from freezing... BTW, The marine bilge heaters are much safer than a space heater, but you can also use rough duty 100 watt incandescent bulbs on a thermostat to generate heat in a localized area without being too concerned about combustion.
    We could get a clue about Furrion's excessive warnings when they say you have to drain it at 39 degrees. That's obviously not the case since water freezes at 32 and to bust copper piping it would take lower than that for a period of time... This may all be much ado about nothing. I'm getting the min max temp recorder RPA mentioned and plan on using it to see if we even have anything to be concerned about... When we first camp in sub freezing temps, I'll go ahead and drain the tankless, then check next day to see what reality is regarding temps in that area. Thanks for that insight, I'll post what I find out and maybe others will also. What model is your RV and do you know if the heat system is next to the tankless?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried to minimize the use of the propane heat during our trip and so that is why we had the small heater in the basement. The tankless water heaters doesn't seem to use up too much propane on its own but the propane heater seems to go through it fairly quickly. However, if we were using the propane heater then I think I probably wouldn't need to do any other supplemental heating in the basement at all. Since we do not boondock very often we would rather use the electricity included in the cost of the nightly rate than to use up our propane that we would have to replace at additional cost. We did run the propane heat on occasion though when we wanted to get the RV to a certain temp more quickly.

Our RV model is the 2022 Reflection 367BHS and yes the propane heater is next to the tankless water heater. I actually removed the "wall" separating that area of the basement from the storage bay and took a good look back there. I think the propane heater will keep that area quite warm. There is also plenty of space for me to install the bilge heater as well. I feel more confident now that I am not really going to have to worry about the tankless water heater being a problem in colder weather.
    Last edited by newbold1; 10-14-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast