User Tag List

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDucky View Post
    Attachment 41344Attachment 41345Attachment 41346Attachment 41347

There are many good ideas here on how to make the Furrion tankless HWH survive in temperatures below 39 degrees. But it seems that basically Grand Design has left it up to each customer to design, research and build their own fix for a problem that shouldn't be the owners responsibilty to fix. For those that may be interested, I've replaced the tankless with a 6gal Suburban HWH that heats water with either the electric heating element, propane or both. I feel that's what Grand Design should have installed in the first place. The 6 gal install was an easy replacement to make and the cost was less than $600.00 all in. Now I can sleep better on those cold nights and have the option to use the campground electric instead of my propane. The water heats to 137 degrees so mixing it with the cold water should make longer showers possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Anybody wanna buy a Furrion tankless HWH used only 7 days?

Bill
    I agree. I’m disappointed in Grand Design’s lack of a response/fix for this problem. The build quality is poor and this water heater is bad for a full timer. I don’t know how we are supposed to winter camp with the tankless heater. I’ve tried to find a local tech to do the heating pad mod but haven’t found anyone yet.

On another note, we also received the wrong sink and were told by our salesman that due to supply chain issues substitutions were made. He said that neither the dealership nor GD would install the correct (one basin) kitchen sink even though they are now back in inventory. He said ”that’s easy; you should be able to do that yourself”. I digress.

I’ve had several fellow campers enquire about Grand Design and I’ve done my best to steer them away from this brand.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    I agree. I’m disappointed in Grand Design’s lack of a response/fix for this problem. The build quality is poor and this water heater is bad for a full timer. I don’t know how we are supposed to winter camp with the tankless heater. I’ve tried to find a local tech to do the heating pad mod but haven’t found anyone yet.

On another note, we also received the wrong sink and were told by our salesman that due to supply chain issues substitutions were made. He said that neither the dealership nor GD would install the correct (one basin) kitchen sink even though they are now back in inventory. He said ”that’s easy; you should be able to do that yourself”. I digress.

I’ve had several fellow campers enquire about Grand Design and I’ve done my best to steer them away from this brand.

I did so much research and talked to so many GD owners before buying. I didn't expect the RV to be perfect, but wow - there was sooo much I cleaned up and reorganized on this rig. So far I consider myself lucky as all the issues I've found I have been able to repair/improve upon on my schedule and to my liking. I've not had to take the unit back to the dealer, except for 1 quick trip so they could verify the awning gas struts were bad and could replace them under warranty. They ordered new ones and I'll pick them up and install them on my schedule. I do appreciate the fact that they will let me do this repair myself and this is what I had heard about GD - that they would work with the owners to expedite repairs by sending them parts under warranty and save everybody time and hassle.

The tankless HWH thing though is a completely different animal altogether. Huge disappointment. Huge! That's why I bit the bullet and just replaced the stupid thing. It wasn't that hard to do, but full disclosure, I did have a friend who's a licensed plumber help me. What was hard to do was running the new control wires up to the control panel in the kitchen area. If you see how these things are put together you wonder how they work at all.

Bill
    Bill
    2021 C-2500HD Duramax; B&W Champion; Reese Airborne Sidewinder
    2022 341RDS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming103 View Post
    Hi Bill,
    That sounds like a very good way to fix things. I did the mod with the heating pad, and I'm not concerned now about it freezing, I tested it down to 19 degrees outside and it never dropped below freezing. However, I still detest the thing. I can't get decent hot water to the kitchen sink, it takes way too long to get hot water to do dishes, meantime I'm filling my 2nd grey water tank needlessly. Since the tankless needs flow before it even starts to heat the water, I think a 6 gal tanked heater is the way to go. water get's hotter, and doesn't need that time to warm up. 124 max temp is a little low too. Can I ask was this a self install, or did you have a dealer/rv service tech do the work?
    I'm a mechanical kinda guy and with the help of a friend (who just happens to be a licensed plumber) we did the exchange in a day. The hardest part was running the new control wires up to the existing control panel in the kitchen area. Evidently GD didn't plan on anyone EVER making changes to ANYTHING on their units. It's like they laid out - correction - threw out a rats nest of wiring and then built the unit walls around the wires.
    Bill
    2021 C-2500HD Duramax; B&W Champion; Reese Airborne Sidewinder
    2022 341RDS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve raised this issue with the dealership where I bought the camper — no joy. Has anyone heard of the possibility of a fix/workaround from Grand Design or your dealership?
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I had the camper at the dealership for warranty repairs (several pieces if cabinetry and trim came unstapled and fell apart) I had a Twin Hornet bilge heater installed behind the wall at the nautilus panel. I’d read here about the rat’s nests found behind panels but this mess surprised me. Given the crappy build quality of this camper I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. Anyhow, I’m still looking for a local mobile tech to do the heating pad thing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	680B80AD-C17B-4338-BFD1-FB188DEB7776.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	42402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17F691A9-2608-44A4-A66D-A40386DAA389.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	42401
    Diane and Mike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Furrion for advice on how I should be using my new 295XL in temps below 39F. The support tech first told me that my WH has freeze protection. I asked if that was in the manual. He said yes. I scanned the manual from one end to the other. Couldn't find anything on freeze protection. So I called him back and told him I couldn't find anything. He put me on hold. He comes back to the phone and told me that feature is coming, and that the Girard WH already has this built in and that's what he has supported for the last 10 years. He said freezing has not been a problem on the Girard. So this tells me they are working on it, but couldn't give me any info when a fix or a new water heater would be available.

In the mean time, I'm trying figure out if I should install one of those mods, or swap out for a tank water heater. Either way, GDRV should be upgrading out units.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgleason View Post
    I called Furrion for advice on how I should be using my new 295XL in temps below 39F. The support tech first told me that my WH has freeze protection. I asked if that was in the manual. He said yes. I scanned the manual from one end to the other. Couldn't find anything on freeze protection. So I called him back and told him I couldn't find anything. He put me on hold. He comes back to the phone and told me that feature is coming, and that the Girard WH already has this built in and that's what he has supported for the last 10 years. He said freezing has not been a problem on the Girard. So this tells me they are working on it, but couldn't give me any info when a fix or a new water heater would be available.

In the mean time, I'm trying figure out if I should install one of those mods, or swap out for a tank water heater. Either way, GDRV should be upgrading out units.
    I called Lippert Customer Support today about a o-ring for the tankless water heater filter. I learned that freeze protection has been added to the unit in the last month or so a new controller is required @ $103.95. The Lippert part number is 2022006595. The Furrion part number is C-FWH09AFA-002.

I emailed Grand Design Customer Service to inquire about a warranty upgrade. Please look into this yourself and verify. I checked both Lippert and Furrion websites and could not find any more information.
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDutchover View Post
    I called Lippert Customer Support today about a o-ring for the tankless water heater filter. I learned that freeze protection has been added to the unit in the last month or so a new controller is required @ $103.95. The Lippert part number is 2022006595. The Furrion part number is C-FWH09AFA-002.

I emailed Grand Design Customer Service to inquire about a warranty upgrade. Please look into this yourself and verify. I checked both Lippert and Furrion websites and could not find any more information.
    I received a response from Grand Design. Yes the Furrion tankless water heater "Generation 2" has freeze protection. They cannot warranty upgrade the "Generation 1" tankless water heater as they only receive complete units. If you are interested in upgrading your water heater please refer to the above part numbers and call Lippert.

Regards,
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Furrion and they told me the Gen 1's could be upgraded by simply swapping out the controller board, right on the front of the water heater. However, they will not be selling the Gen 2 water heaters or the the Gen 2 controller boards until all the Gen 1 inventory is gone. That doesn't make any sense to me. Furrion would loose what it cost to build the Gen 1 controller boards, but would have much happier users. The Furrion support person did say the rv salesman should have mentioned the water heater did not have freeze protection.

So I guess I'll have to wait it out and hope my Gen 1 doesn't freeze while I'm waiting. I told them I have some trips planned this winter between Colorado and the Gulf coast.

If anyone else figures out how to break these new Gen 2 controller boards loose let me know. Seems a person in GDRV could do that.

Thanks for the info KDutchover.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a Way to tell if you have Gen 1 or gen 2? Thx
    Last edited by Basshunter; 12-13-2022 at 07:42 PM.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast