Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toilet flange attachment question

Hey all, my family and I bought a used 2015 308bhts that we full time traveled in for two years but we're now stationary in it on our own property as we build. We recently developed a bad odor from the bathroom that I have been trying to track down. Process of elimination made me open up by underbelly of the RV and sure enough we had a small puddle of black tank waste pour out (maybe a gallon or so). More digging made me figure out that I was likely full at the time (always hard to tell as my sensors never seem to be accurate) but when I turned on my black tank flush for instance I would get a steady stream of liquid flowing from multiple sides along the top of the black tank pouring out the bottom. The liquid was not coming from the flush connection itself which comes in the side. So my investigation then made me assume that the only things coming into the top of the tank would be the toilet and likely a roof vent. So I stuck a hose down the roof vent to just to make sure I didn't have a clog or it was broken itself and sure enough no leak from there. So I'm now convinced that there's only two things it could be...

1) a break between the toilet downspout and the top of the tank itself
    2) a crack somewhere in the top of the tank.

To try to investigate #1 I took the toilet off and unscrewed the flange thinking I'd likely be able to wiggle or unscrew the flange out of the top of the tank enough to see if the joint was broken somehow. After removing the screws I tried to turn and wiggle it but it seemed as if I could only pick up a 2/3 of the top the flange by maybe 1/8" or so, as if one side of it was more solidly attached still.

So my question to you all is...does anybody know how the black flange attached to the top of the floor under the toilet is connected to the black tank for my model (likely many/most)? Is it glued? Threaded? Or a slip fitting to where you just push it in? I can certainly pull or turn the flange harder but didn't want to break anything.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bs023521 View Post

So my question to you all is...does anybody know how the black flange attached to the top of the floor under the toilet is connected to the black tank for my model (likely many/most)? Is it glued? Threaded? Or a slip fitting to where you just push it in? I can certainly pull or turn the flange harder but didn't want to break anything.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
    Ben - mine and all others whom have reported over the years have been glued.

Ours had a small crack at the top base between the flange and pipe going down to the black tank. and I was able to clean the interior of the pipe and applied plastic pipe glue in the crack applicable to work on these sewer pipe. I did the same to the exterior and interior of the pipe. This was a few years ago and I do not recall what I used. No problems since.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The toilet dumps into the top of the tank through a pipe that has a rubber flange around it, into the tank.

Most people will get the leakage when the tank is over full, and the flange is pushed out of the opening.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS