Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sewer smell when getting ready to leave

We were getting ready to leave our site after 3 weeks on this site. It's a site without sewer and I dumped use our Gray tote a few times during our stay but the tanks were pretty full when we left. My wife started jacking up the tongue and we started smelling a strong sewer odor. Really puzzled us. The only thing I can come up with is shifting the level of the trailer caused gasses to come out of the vent.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any other ideas what it could be? The smell didn't last very long.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You can try checking your AAVs for tightness. Your trailer should have 2. One at each sink (kitchen and bath). We just had the exact same issue on our new trailer and, since we had the issue years ago with our 337RLS, I immediately checked and both valves were barely screwed on. I tightened them completely and the smell went away. I am going to replace them with quality valves from Amazon (or Lowes or Home Depot) anyway.

DO a search for air admittance valve and you will find many posts about them.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnmatt View Post
    We were getting ready to leave our site after 3 weeks on this site. It's a site without sewer and I dumped use our Gray tote a few times during our stay but the tanks were pretty full when we left. My wife started jacking up the tongue and we started smelling a strong sewer odor. Really puzzled us. The only thing I can come up with is shifting the level of the trailer caused gasses to come out of the vent.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any other ideas what it could be? The smell didn't last very long.
    If you experienced the smell while you were outside it most likely came out of the roof vent. And I would agree lifting the front probably crested some sloshing that caused the release of odor. I'd the smell dissipated or you no longer smell it then all is good.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Deb View Post
    You can try checking your AAVs for tightness. Your trailer should have 2. One at each sink (kitchen and bath). We just had the exact same issue on our new trailer and, since we had the issue years ago with our 337RLS, I immediately checked and both valves were barely screwed on. I tightened them completely and the smell went away. I am going to replace them with quality valves from Amazon (or Lowes or Home Depot) anyway.

DO a search for air admittance valve and you will find many posts about them.
    The strong smell was outside not inside. I would expect the air admittance valves would cause the smell to be inside. We've never had that problem. In fact this is the first time we've had the smell outside.

Thanks.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnmatt View Post

We had the same thing happen when we jacked up to leave recently. My wife said she could hear water running when I lifted the front of the camper. I discovered that we had a black tank leaking into the belly. I would look underneath and see if the underbelly is sagging (and pray that it is not).
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)