User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Your truck is a 2016, the Dakotas is a 2013, and it is likely that the heat shield is only used on differently optioned trucks as well. So just because your model/year doesn't have one. doesn't mean all of them don't.. I just threw it out there in case he has the issue.
    I may have read your post wrong....or maybe took it the wrong way, but I thought you were talking about the area where the fuel fill is at.....where he would have to cut the fill tube in order to put in the gravity feed line that comes from the aux. tank....that was the last thing I was talking to him about. You were obviously talking about the tank itself. My bad if that is the case.
    Last edited by xrated; 08-21-2021 at 05:39 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I may have read your post wrong....or maybe took it the wrong way, but I thought you were talking about the area where the fuel fill is at.....where he would have to cut the fill tube in order to put in the gravity feed line that comes from the aux. tank....that was the last thing I was talking to him about. You were obviously talking about the tank itself. My bad if that is the case.
    Its all good
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Has anyone fit an aux diesel fuel tank in the bed if their truck to extend travel time? I can assume some of the pros and cons.....but, anyone that has done this, please give me a little insight into it.

I was thinking of maybe a 50 gallon tank.
    Thanks
    Three weeks ago I installed an auxiliary diesel tank in the bed of my 2014 RAM 3500 and am very pleased with the outcome. I now have 31 gallons OEM tank + 43 gallons auxiliary. (I don't know about anyone else but most of the pumps I fill at cut off at $100 or $125 thus requiring multiple transaction at one time to completely fill)

My purpose for the installation was to eliminate the need of always being alert when towing my rig as to where the next diesel station would be and it being a station where you could have access via entering and exiting. Living in the Southwest US you can go many miles before even approaching another station. My Garmin 770RV was very helpful for seeing what stations were ahead however the station may be built such that you can't enter or exit safely or at all. My tipping point experience was on our last trip to TX where I was pinned in a Buckees station off I35 South of Austin. The place had 100 pumps and every pump was occupied, drivers running around without any awareness of a rig being around etc.. This very well may have been my last Buckees stop ever.

I wanted a gravity feed tank and minimize the negative impact on real-estate in the short bed of my truck.

I purchased and installed the Aluminum Tank Industries 43 gallon tank using the included Fuel Shotz installation kit. The installation is perfect and only cost me 12 inches of bed space. I could have gone with a different tank that would have taken only 9 inches of bed space however this tank would have extended 2 inches above the bed rail and I didn't want to have the tank above the rail. ATI has many tank size options.

The installation was rather easy. The most difficult being the removal of a 4 inch section of the OEM filler tube. Follow the installation directions and all goes well. It took me three hours for the installation.

I did all the CAT scale measurements to ensure I wasn't exceeding cargo loads, axle loads or another weight limit. I would encourage you to complete the CAT scale measurements before you make your purchase in order to not put yourself in a weight situation that exceeds limits.

I have made two trips since the installation and could not be more pleased. It is such a relief to not have the anxiety of when and where to fill next.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa61 View Post
    Three weeks ago I installed an auxiliary diesel tank in the bed of my 2014 RAM 3500 and am very pleased with the outcome. I now have 31 gallons OEM tank + 43 gallons auxiliary. (I don't know about anyone else but most of the pumps I fill at cut off at $100 or $125 thus requiring multiple transaction at one time to completely fill)

My purpose for the installation was to eliminate the need of always being alert when towing my rig as to where the next diesel station would be and it being a station where you could have access via entering and exiting. Living in the Southwest US you can go many miles before even approaching another station. My Garmin 770RV was very helpful for seeing what stations were ahead however the station may be built such that you can't enter or exit safely or at all. My tipping point experience was on our last trip to TX where I was pinned in a Buckees station off I35 South of Austin. The place had 100 pumps and every pump was occupied, drivers running around without any awareness of a rig being around etc.. This very well may have been my last Buckees stop ever.

I wanted a gravity feed tank and minimize the negative impact on real-estate in the short bed of my truck.

I purchased and installed the Aluminum Tank Industries 43 gallon tank using the included Fuel Shotz installation kit. The installation is perfect and only cost me 12 inches of bed space. I could have gone with a different tank that would have taken only 9 inches of bed space however this tank would have extended 2 inches above the bed rail and I didn't want to have the tank above the rail. ATI has many tank size options.

The installation was rather easy. The most difficult being the removal of a 4 inch section of the OEM filler tube. Follow the installation directions and all goes well. It took me three hours for the installation.

I did all the CAT scale measurements to ensure I wasn't exceeding cargo loads, axle loads or another weight limit. I would encourage you to complete the CAT scale measurements before you make your purchase in order to not put yourself in a weight situation that exceeds limits.

I have made two trips since the installation and could not be more pleased. It is such a relief to not have the anxiety of when and where to fill next.
    We are getting ready to make a trip from the Knoxville, TN area to the Grand Canyon and several other National Parks and on our travels out there, we will have a few 400 mile days. With approx. 94 gallons onboard at the start of the trip, it will be very easy to drive each and every leg without having to stop for fuel at some point in the travel day. My plan is to arrive at the overnight campground, unhook the truck and go refuel for the next day at any station I choose, without having to deal with getting in/out while pulling our 45' 5ver. Plus, and this is hopeful and may not be realistic, I can find fuel that isn't Bio-diesel to put in the truck. I realize that I could just plan my stops at truck stops and use the truck lanes, but every single one of them, as far as I know, sell only Bio-diesel, so hopefully I can avoid that.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    We are getting ready to make a trip from the Knoxville, TN area to the Grand Canyon and several other National Parks and on our travels out there, we will have a few 400 mile days. With approx. 94 gallons onboard at the start of the trip, it will be very easy to drive each and every leg without having to stop for fuel at some point in the travel day. My plan is to arrive at the overnight campground, unhook the truck and go refuel for the next day at any station I choose, without having to deal with getting in/out while pulling our 45' 5ver. Plus, and this is hopeful and may not be realistic, I can find fuel that isn't Bio-diesel to put in the truck. I realize that I could just plan my stops at truck stops and use the truck lanes, but every single one of them, as far as I know, sell only Bio-diesel, so hopefully I can avoid that.
    We live just south of you in NC. We made two trips out west, last summer and a little over a month ago. Having our aux tank and only having to stop once a day for fuel really made the trip that much nicer. The only stops we had to make were for meals & bathroom breaks. We typically used rest areas for that. While there we walked a bit to stretch out our legs, etc. Have fun!!! I'm ready to go back!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    We live just south of you in NC. We made two trips out west, last summer and a little over a month ago. Having our aux tank and only having to stop once a day for fuel really made the trip that much nicer. The only stops we had to make were for meals & bathroom breaks. We typically used rest areas for that. While there we walked a bit to stretch out our legs, etc. Have fun!!! I'm ready to go back!!!
    Thanks tjndsa for feedback, how far on an average do you drive a day?
    I am findimg that a 8 or 9 hour day is getting harder and harder to do.
    I am still thinking that the 48 gallon OEM replacement will be a good change for me.
    I am in my 19 day trip and see that 6(ish) hours are about all I can/want to do anymore so, is more than 50 gallons REALLY neccessary?
    Thanks
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Rgpracer;392297]Thanks tjndsa for feedback, how far on an average do you drive a day?
    I am still thinking that the 48 gallon OEM replacement will be a good change for me.
    I am in my 19 day trip and see that 6(ish) hours are about all I can/want to do anymore so, is more than 50 gallons REALLY neccessary?
    Thanks
    Ray[/QUOTE @Rgpracer so I'll add my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation... (You get what you pay for!)

At 49, the longest I chose to drive (since the wife hasn't driven the entire rig yet) is 6-6.5 hours, it somewhere around 400 miles. On my 2019 F350 CCLB, I get about 450 miles to the 48 gallon, stock, tank; which ends nicely at around 6-6.5 hours.

As a much younger man, I drove a 4 horse, bumper pull trailer all over Colorado and Wyoming on the open rodeo circuit. I would put in 10-16 hour drive days, just to get to the next rodeo. I can't do that anymore (neither can my body). That truck had a 18 gallon tank, and got about 6 miles a gallon; we stopped a whole lot just to fill up, pee, grab some more Dr. Pepper, Copenhagen, and Doritos... The food of non-champion rodeo cowboys!

After getting this truck and seeing that I could do about 400 miles on a tank, and that it took about 6 hours, I figured that would be just fine with me. I really don't like driving fatigued, and I don't chew or smoke anymore, so I gave nothing to keep that nicotine buzz going that seemed to help me when I was a young buck.

So, all of that just to say, "Do what is most comfortable for you.". If you are good, driving 8-9 hours a day, then go for it and add that auxiliary fuel tank.

I will end with one last piece... Two is one and one is none; it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

I just don't have the CCC to add an auxiliary fuel tank to my rig, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MoonShadow_1911;392302]
    Thanks
    Ray[/QUOTE @Rgpracer so I'll add my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation... (You get what you pay for!)

At 49, the longest I chose to drive (since the wife hasn't driven the entire rig yet) is 6-6.5 hours, it somewhere around 400 miles. On my 2019 F350 CCLB, I get about 450 miles to the 48 gallon, stock, tank; which ends nicely at around 6-6.5 hours.

As a much younger man, I drove a 4 horse, bumper pull trailer all over Colorado and Wyoming on the open rodeo circuit. I would put in 10-16 hour drive days, just to get to the next rodeo. I can't do that anymore (neither can my body). That truck had a 18 gallon tank, and got about 6 miles a gallon; we stopped a whole lot just to fill up, pee, grab some more Dr. Pepper, Copenhagen, and Doritos... The food of non-champion rodeo cowboys!

After getting this truck and seeing that I could do about 400 miles on a tank, and that it took about 6 hours, I figured that would be just fine with me. I really don't like driving fatigued, and I don't chew or smoke anymore, so I gave nothing to keep that nicotine buzz going that seemed to help me when I was a young buck.

So, all of that just to say, "Do what is most comfortable for you.". If you are good, driving 8-9 hours a day, then go for it and add that auxiliary fuel tank.

I will end with one last piece... Two is one and one is none; it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

I just don't have the CCC to add an auxiliary fuel tank to my rig, unfortunately.

Hey Mark, thanks buddy, appreciate it.....i am 64, wife won't try and drive the rig, heck, she won't drive the truck WITHOUT the trailer.
    It's $1200 bucks to replace my 32 gallon with a 48 gallon Titan tank.
    Wife and i (and doggie) will drive awhile, pull over and stretch, let puppy out and run.....heck, we rarely ever go under half tank, just want the assurance that i can go just a "little" further if need be. I really DON'T want to occupy my bed with an extra tank. I'm kinda anal in that i like things to "look" normal, hence the OEM replacement.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MoonShadow_1911;392302]
    Thanks

Hubby did the driving. He doesn't measure by hours, but miles. Because we're limited on time (3 week turn around), he wants/likes to get between 500 and 600 miles per day. When we fill up, we have between 80 & 90 gallons of fuel (36 OEM and 50 - 60 gal aux). The only thing wince worthy is the price on the receipt....yikes!!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aux fuel tank in truck bed

Hey Rgpracer

I have been looking at tanks too and I am really liking the S&B tank. They make a 60 gallon oem replacement for your truck for 1200 and change. I think that would be the best of both worlds. At 10mpg towing that would give you 500 miles range with a bit of reserve.

I am looking at their 62 gallon replacement. Mine is only 36. Non towing it’s great, towing it comes up a bit short, even for a 400 mile daily cap.

Good luck with your choice.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast