User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a ‘16 F350 6.7 SWB long bed. Installed a 65 gallon Titan chassis tank that gives us a range of at least 700 miles under worst conditions. It fully matches up to our stock software for seamless operation. No issues after 59,000 miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip31MB View Post
    I went with a replacement 50 gallon tank by S&B. Replaces the OEM fuel tank and takes up ZERO space in your bed. Did the install myself, not hard at all, also went with the aux pump so I can fill equipment from my truck. It’s a really neat setup, no more unnecessary fuel stops and 1000 mile DTE when not towing!
    I did the same thing to my F250 using a Titan tank. Love it!
    Jeff & Sandy
    2021 GD 260RD Fifth Wheel ~ Snoopy
    2012 F250 Super Duty 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Has anyone fit an aux diesel fuel tank in the bed if their truck to extend travel time? I can assume some of the pros and cons.....but, anyone that has done this, please give me a little insight into it.

I was thinking of maybe a 50 gallon tank.
    Thanks
    timely post. we just had a 50 gallon in-bed tank installed by the Dually Depot in Elkhart, IN. it fit nicely under the Bakflip bed cover on my 2019 F-250. attached to the bed is a filter and an electric pump which is connected to an up-fitter switch on the ceiling. when my fuel gauge starts running low and my "miles to empty" reaches 100 miles, i flip the switch and watch both climb back up. i love having this tank. with such a small factory tank and getting 10 mpg towing my rig, we were stopping 2-3 times a day on long days. now, we have the potential to go over 700 miles on a full tank before refueling. many try to make the point that you're going to stop 3-4 times a day anyway for restrooms, food, walk the dog etc so why not do it at a truck stop. this argument does have some validity but with the extra tank you have the option of stopping at a station with lower fuel prices that you might not otherwise. and i'll give you an example: before we left Elkhart, i checked my TDS/Open Roads app and found the best diesel price on our route home was in Charleston, MO. with the extra fuel, we were able to by-pass all the expensive fuel stops in Illinois and Indiana and stop in southern Missouri. we still stopped in IL & IN but only for food and bathrooms.
    2019 Ford F250SD FX4
    2020 Reflection MKS320

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had my 68-gallon S&B replacement tank installed in my F350 today. So far so good! Throw in the 2-5 gallon cans I have, if needed, and I believe I have plenty for any trip I will ever end up taking with no need to fill up till we are home.
    2022 Momentum 350G - all upgrades minus 3 season doors
    2020 F350 Lariat Sport 6.7 CCLB FX4 - 3.5" Carli Pintop Suspension System - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/Wireless One - 68 Gallon S&B Fuel Tank
    2022 CanAm Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR w/Smart-Shox (on order)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    [/B]

It's really not hard to do if you buy the kit to do it with.....at least not on my Ford. The fill tube is not metal, so no sawing under the truck and I cut mine and installed the "T" fitting pretty easily with using a utility knife with a new blade.
    Thanks. I’ve got a son in law that is pretty handy. I’m going to check into it.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I've always had a hard time paying someone to do something that I can do myself. Of course that always comes at a cost.....your available time to accomplish the tanks, you ability to do the tasks, and literally if you have the cash to spend for someone else to do the work. I am not a mechanic, a carpenter, a plumber, etc, but I have done all those things to some degree in my lifetime. Electrical is my trade, so those projects/tasks come a lot easier to me, but I still like to do things that I feel I have the capability to do....even if it means watching some Youtube videos first in order to make sure that I'm on track with my way of thinking about how to do it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a custom tool box/fuel tank combo made for my F250. Its 60 gallons and fits under the bed sides so i can use a tonnenu cover when not pulling the 5er. Its one of the best investiments i have made. Yes, it adds a lot of weight to the truck but the level of stress it takes away on long trips is awesome. I had to use a fuel pump that was connect to one of my upfitter switches in the cab to pump the fuel from the aux to the factory. Some people can get away with gravity feeding, but it didn't work on my setup. After a few trips, you will learn how long to run the pump and how far you can travel before refueling.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Having just done this, I have a tip that may be helpful.(If your Ford doesn't have one, read no further) My GM had a heatshield attached to the bottom of the bed, right where one of the bolts need to go. It was attached in a way that removing it would be a Major ordeal. I tried simply unbolting it...Those bolts won't budge. So I came up with a workaround: Get the box situated where it needs to be. Loosely install the bolts that the shield isn't blocking. Next Get a drill driver 1/4" bit, a 1/4" drive socket size=1/4" and a 1/4" drive extentsion long enough so that the entire assembly will allow the drill driver to clear the tank, so you can get a STRAIGHT shot at drilling the hole. Drill all the way thru the heat shield. Now take look from under the truck find the 1/4" in the heat shield. Use a 7/8" hole saw, which uses a 1/4" pilot bit to drill a 7/8" hole in the shield using the 1/4" hole you just drilled as a guide. Now with a helper in the bed holding the bolt in place, the spring, washer and nut can be attached.

It is actually pretty easy once you get everything you need. I had to buy the long 24" IIRC extension and drill driver bit.
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-21-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Having just done this, U have a tip that may be helpful.(If your Ford doesn't have one, read no further) My GM had a heathield attached to the bottom of the bed, righr where one of the bolts need to go. It was attached in a way that removing it would be a Major ordeal. I tried simply unbolting it...Those bolts won't budge. So I came up with a workaround: Get the box situated where it needs to be. Loosely install the bolts thar the shield isn't blocking. Next Get a drill driver 1/4" bit, a 1/4" drive socket size=1/4" and a 1/4" drive extentsion long enough so that the entire assembly will allow the drill driver to clear the tank, so you can get a STRAIGHT shot at drilling the hole. Drill all the way thru the heat shield. Now take look from under the truck find the 1/4" in the heat shield. Use a 7/8" hole saw, which uses a 1/4" pilot bit to drill a 7/8" hole in the shield using the 1/4" hole you just drilled as a guide. Now with a helper in the bed holding the bolt in place, the spring, washer and nut can be attached.

It is actually pretty easy once you get everything you need. I had to buy the long 24" IIRC extension and drill driver bit.
    That's good info to know huntindog, but his Ford does not have that. I just did mine a couple of months ago for the new tank I bought....nothing like what you describe on the Fords.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    That's good info to know huntindog, but his Ford does not have that. I just did mine a couple of months ago for the new tank I bought....nothing like what you describe on the Fords.
    Your truck is a 2016, the Dakotas is a 2013, and it is likely that the heat shield is only used on differently optioned trucks as well. So just because your model/year doesn't have one. doesn't mean all of them don't.. I just threw it out there in case he has the issue.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast