User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2022 Solitude 380-FLR Arrived to Dealer with Shattered Shower Door

Hey, all! Hoping to get some advice from the seasoned professionals on this forum.

I am supposed to take delivery of a 2022 Solitude 380-FLR on Tuesday. The dealer just called today to tell me the unit arrived, but it arrived with the shower door shattered. I'm stopping by tomorrow to take a peek inside to see how bad it is. Obviously, the dealer is acknowledging this as a warranty issue since it arrived in this condition, but I am unable to get a clear answer out of them on the timeline for the replacement. What are my best options to resolve this swiftly? Should I refuse delivery? Should I accept delivery and hope they stay on top of things once the money has changed hands? I haven't felt like much of a priority BEFORE signing on the dotted line, so I do not expect to be one after the transaction is complete.

Thanks for any and all advice!

reynchr
    Last edited by reynchr; 08-13-2021 at 11:34 PM.
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali SRW
    2022 Solitude 380-FLR

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Solitude 380-FLR Arrived to Dealer with Shattered Shower Door

Depends on if you need the trailer

If you don’t have plans I wouldn’t take it home until it is fixed

I understand the dealer is saying it is a “warranty” issue but I doubt Grand Design does. Likely the dealer will be eating the cost on this so I would have it fixed before I signed off
    They will have zero motivation after the fact
    I would also call GD and ask the parts dept if they have one

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 08-14-2021 at 04:59 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it in writing. Buy a shower curtain and go camping. Just do a thorough pdi 1st.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also want to know why it shattered. Did they forget to latch it before transport, or did the unit get that beat up on its trip to the dealer?
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depend on a few things. Do you have trips planned or would like to take? How far away is the replacement (like others mentioned, give GD a call and see) if GD acknowledges then get a case #. Then there's no worries. Since you haven't seen the rig yet means you haven't done a proper PDI. I'd start with that before making a final decision. If all comes great on the PDI then I'd get something in writing and go enjoy. If there's more issues with the rig then that's a different story.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses! Really good feedback from everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I'd also want to know why it shattered. Did they forget to latch it before transport, or did the unit get that beat up on its trip to the dealer?
    That was my question too! I was able to go and look at the unit this morning. The frame of the shower is also badly dented on the fore side where the handle of the shower door would've made contact. For it to be so badly dented, I'm guessing it was unlatched and stacked near the rear of the rig and, when braking, the door ran up to the front shattering the first panel and denting the frame. I pushed the delivery date back and will be rescheduling with the dealer on Monday once they know more about part availability.

This prompts another question: I was going back and forth about whether to get a third-party inspection done. Does it sound like a good idea at this point or is it overkill?

reynchr
    2022 Solitude 380-FLR

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reynchr View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! Really good feedback from everyone!

That was my question too! I was able to go and look at the unit this morning. The frame of the shower is also badly dented on the fore side where the handle of the shower door would've made contact. For it to be so badly dented, I'm guessing it was unlatched and stacked near the rear of the rig and, when braking, the door ran up to the front shattering the first panel and denting the frame. I pushed the delivery date back and will be rescheduling with the dealer on Monday once they know more about part availability.

This prompts another question: I was going back and forth about whether to get a third-party inspection done. Does it sound like a good idea at this point or is it overkill?

reynchr
    Like I said above it won’t be a warranty claim through GD so I wouldn’t take the unit until they fix it
    Having it in writing doesn’t do a darn bit of good imo

I personally would never spend money to have it inspected
    Complete waste imo

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    That would be my guess. You can drive over some pretty rough roads and as long as the glass is secured it would take a lot to shatter it.

I agree with NB, make sure it is fixed to your satisfaction before you do any paperwork or take possession.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I personally would never spend money to have it inspected
    Complete waste imo
    Yea, that's why I'm on the fence about it. I'm well researched on the unit and have downloaded some checklists to make sure I do a thorough PDI. This is our first trailer we're taking delivery of so I don't know quite what to expect, but I plan to take as much time as I need until I am satisfied, even if the dealer is trying to rush me along.

Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I agree with NB, make sure it is fixed to your satisfaction before you do any paperwork or take possession.
    Yep! Sage advice, indeed! I'm hoping by delaying delivery, they will stay motivated to get it fixed and out of their lot!
    2022 Solitude 380-FLR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news from the dealer yesterday afternoon! They happened to have a new shower door with frame on site and they were able to replace it over the weekend. I am still scheduled to get the unit tomorrow, but that's all dependent on whether they get the hitch in that they were supposed to. Not too happy they're waiting until the last minute to get these things in order, but they told me "Trust us. This is how we do it all the time," <--Not exactly the best confidence builder
    2022 Solitude 380-FLR