User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in inland San Diego County, so much less temperate than right along the coast. Highs of 90+ during the summer and lows in the low 40s/high 30s in the winter. Electrical rates (and everything else) are outrageous. My average bill before solar was around $300 a month. All in, I was close to $30K for the solar system and upgraded service/main panel. Call it $20K after the tax credit. Even though the service upgrade was not directly related to the solar install, it qualified for the tax credit because it was done simultaneously. I paid cash, so that $20K is the net cost. At the yearly true-up, we have had a modest credit for all three years since the system was installed. So, after 36 months, we have saved a minimum of $10,080 in electrical bills...likely more. In three more years, we will have easily recouped 100% of our investment. That is right about the time I plan on retiring and getting out of CA, so the next owner will be the one to really see the benefit. Of course, the paid for solar system does increase the value of my home and it's desirability when it comes time to sell. As a bonus, my wife has a plug-in hybrid that gets charged daily during daylight hours. I installed a dedicated 50 amp circuit so it takes less that 2 1/2 hours to fully charge the car's batteries from 0% to 100%. Most days she runs around using the electric motor only...that's like free fuel! It also feels really good to not pay San Diego Gas and Electric over $10K a year.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    What made it attractive to me know was we are away months at a time. Put AC on 83 degrees & system is producing $100 plus a month.
    We're away a lot as well, but our monthly electric bill is normally less than $100 so my savings wouldn't be that much.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payback in 14 years is not bad. But it seems to me that the reliability of such a system comes first!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Payback in 14 years is not bad. But it seems to me that the reliability of such a system comes first!
    My system was installed in September 2017. No issues. 25 year warranty on parts & labor.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question:

With the roof solar panels. How do the panels come down when replacing the roof.
    Our house is 12 years old and has builders quality roofing, so I know I am looking
    at roof replacement in the next several years.

Thanks for a response:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Question:

With the roof solar panels. How do the panels come down when replacing the roof.
    Our house is 12 years old and has builders quality roofing, so I know I am looking
    at roof replacement in the next several years.

Thanks for a response:
    Bob A.
    The panels are mounted on racks. In my case the racks are attached through the roof to the rafters using stainless lag bolts so the panels & racks can be removed by your solar installer.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12