Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Home Solar

I’m using the off topic forum to share a way that we save money. I installed solar on my home almost 4 years ago. We live in Florida & travel about 6 months each year to escape the heat & humidity. All the time we are gone my solar at home is making power & building credit on our electric bill. Consequently I haven’t had an electric bill in 4 years.

Just a thought if this might work for you also.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you calculated how much invested and how many years before break-even?
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Have you calculated how much invested and how many years before break-even?
    Yes. Here was my thought process. The net cost for the system after the tax credit was $18500. The system is an Enphase system with 25 year warranty on components & labor. My annual electric bill before solar was about $2000. So at 10 years I will save $20000 or more on electric bill. Another way to look at it is that I’m getting a 10% return each year on my investment of $18500. I know it’s more complicated but it’s my feeling I did the right thing.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend in my same neighborhood just decided to go solar and the payback is about 14 years, depending on the annual increases from Duke Energy.
    That's not attractive enough for me right now.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Yes. Here was my thought process. The net cost for the system after the tax credit was $18500. The system is an Enphase system with 25 year warranty on components & labor. My annual electric bill before solar was about $2000. So at 10 years I will save $20000 or more on electric bill. Another way to look at it is that I’m getting a 10% return each year on my investment of $18500. I know it’s more complicated but it’s my feeling I did the right thing.
    is it a whole house system? And a typical house, AC, washer and dryer...... I ask because a know a few people that are completely off grid and when you talk them they say that they are fully solar but when you go there, their system is really only 5kw or something like that. Most of their appliance are propane. No TV or stuff like like that. Don't get me wrong, its OK just maybe not for everyone.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    If you got a ROI of 10% on $18,500, after 10 years you would have nearly $45,000. So you didn't do bad at all, not great, but not bad. But finding a guaranteed 10% ROI is pretty hard, especially over 10 years. Of course if you financed any of the installation then it's not so good.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed a home ground mount system 13.2KW over 7 years ago. It recently paid for itself completely based on SREC credits and generated power. We generate about 18 Megawatts a year with solar. It is grid-tied and we have net billing so we get the full benefit of whatever we generate with respect to retail electrical costs in our BG&E (Maryland) area. We did have a 30% tax credit on the total cost of the system (we purchased it outright).

We did have a tornado go over the house and dislodge 2 panels - it cost us about $400 to have them remounted and new optimizers installed (the electrical connections were ripped out of them). The company that installed the panels was out two days after the storm so we only lost a day of generation. The panels were not harmed at all. Pretty impressive.

I have solar on the camper now as well and don't plug in unless I am getting ready for a trip (then I run the AC and fridge on electric).
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    is it a whole house system? And a typical house, AC, washer and dryer...... I ask because a know a few people that are completely off grid and when you talk them they say that they are fully solar but when you go there, their system is really only 5kw or something like that. Most of their appliance are propane. No TV or stuff like like that. Don't get me wrong, its OK just maybe not for everyone.
    It is a 10 KW system. 2100 SF house total electric in Florida. As I said we are away several months a year & I have net metering so my excess production is surplus dollars for me
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you got a ROI of 10% on $18,500, after 10 years you would have nearly $45,000. So you didn't do bad at all, not great, but not bad. But finding a guaranteed 10% ROI is pretty hard, especially over 10 years. Of course if you financed any of the installation then it's not so good.
    I sold some stock I had for 30 years. Used proceeds to pay for system & used the solar tax credit to pay the income tax on sale of stock.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    A friend in my same neighborhood just decided to go solar and the payback is about 14 years, depending on the annual increases from Duke Energy.
    That's not attractive enough for me right now.
    What made it attractive to me know was we are away months at a time. Put AC on 83 degrees & system is producing $100 plus a month.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast