User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning extended northern tier trip May 2022 - where to start???

Don't know where to start - been 20 years since a long TT trip to the southwest and back but just received an invite to our grand-niece's wedding in South Dakota (near Sioux Falls I believe) next May. This was the first long distance trip I had hoped to make and now have a reason. Last year, our goal was to visit our son in Treasure Valley Idaho but he has moved back east. No rig yet but will either purchase one used or order one shortly. On our own, retired, and no timeline except leaving the 4 legged creatures at home but with care from the boys.

I still would like to make the trip to Idaho (beautiful and didn't see enough) and back - got to McCall and it was snowing so never made it to Coeur d'Alene or any of eastern Idaho. I asked the better half what her bucket list was - relax and sit outside the camper enjoying retirement so I think campground quality will be important. Mine's a bit longer (I'm the type that likes to stop and read historic markers) - maybe too much for one trip. I don't mind driving but with a 32 gal tank, will be stopping frequently and I plan on keeping daily driving duration low but maybe a bit more than 200 miles then stay for two nights some places (otherwise it will take me 16 days to get to Sioux Falls!) - again no rush and prefer scenic routes to interstate (fuel availability notwithstanding). Occasional overnights at Walmart or welcome centers (been there done that) are ok but not every stop. I'm sure there is a lot to see between NH, SD, ID which are really the only destinations so far - everything else will be ad hoc but figuring at least a month trip.

Open to any suggested points of interest between here and there. If there are any route planning utilities that include activities local to stops, open to recommendations - but probably going to start with RV Trip Wizard. In 1999, I got all the travel BOOKS from AAA. I'm sure there are better alternatives now.
    Last edited by ajg617; 08-14-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Don't know where to start - been 20 years since a long TT trip to the southwest and back but just received an invite to our grand-niece's wedding in South Dakota (near Sioux Falls I believe) next May. This was the first long distance trip I had hoped to make and now have a reason. Last year, our goal was to visit our son in Treasure Valley Idaho but he has moved back east. No rig yet but will either purchase one used or order one shortly. On our own, retired, and no timeline except leaving the 4 legged creatures at home but with care from the boys.

I still would like to make the trip to Idaho (beautiful and didn't see enough) and back - got to McCall and it was snowing so never made it to Coeur d'Alene or any of eastern Idaho. I asked the better half what her bucket list was - relax and sit outside the camper enjoying retirement so I think campground quality will be important. Mine's a bit longer (I'm the type that likes to stop and read historic markers) - maybe too much for one trip. I don't mind driving but with a 32 gal tank, will be stopping frequently and I plan on keeping daily driving duration low but maybe a bit more than 200 miles then stay for two nights some places (otherwise it will take me 16 days to get to Sioux Falls!) - again no rush and prefer scenic routes to interstate (fuel availability notwithstanding). Occasional overnights at Walmart or welcome centers (been there done that) are ok but not every stop. I'm sure there is a lot to see between NH, SD, ID which are really the only destinations so far - everything else will be ad hoc but figuring at least a month trip.

Open to any suggested points of interest between here and there. If there are any route planning utilities that include activities local to stops, open to recommendations - but probably going to start with RV Trip Wizard. In 1999, I got all the travel BOOKS from AAA. I'm sure there are better alternatives now.
    If you're going to be in South Dakota, then make your way West to the Badlands and the Black Hills. The Eastern part of the state is lacking, IMO.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in no hurry, why not pack up the pups and head out. They will eventually feel that the RV is home and can stay in it alone while you do the non dog related sightseeing and the wedding. They will be happier for that length of time and not feel abandoned.

Our lazy romp out west (part way) from MI took 3 months. Stopping any place we wanted . Went as far as West Yellowstone. Stayed there 10 days and still did not see it all. Touched on Northern Idaho... beautiful! The initial trip was to go all the way to Washington but the trip got cut short by real lifes events.
    We took a more southern route there and US2 on the return cutting thru MI's Upper and enjoyed many of our fav stops there b4 heading South. . US 2 was not scenic unless you enjoy farm field after farm field. We like natural and off the wall attractions so did radius searches on a few different mapping platforms to find the stops we wanted to make..
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used an AAA travel book in a while, but it's a good place to start as it lists "gems" in different states.

I generally look for places I want to go and find places in between those stops that look interesting.

Travel sites from states and cities are helpful. I get ideas from RVing sites too as well as some magazines we get.

We are in western Montana now (Kalispell) and like it except the smoke is way too think. se if we come again it will have to be spring the next time to try and beat out the fires.

We liked Spokane a lot.

Just figure out where you want to go and then do a google search with something like "top things to see in....". You'll get lots of hits.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just finished 2 months in ID (mostly passing through), MT, ND, SD, and WY.

Roosevelt National Park (both units), Badlands, Devils Tower, Black Hills (could do a month there), Big Horn mtns, Grand Tetons. Didn't do Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, Sawtooth mtns (got too smoky), or SW Idaho as we recently visited them. Could easily spend a month in WA, or OR.

We have a 26 gal tank, so I feel your pain, but it's been very workable. We also prefer to camp for a week and do day trips in the area. We can boondock for 7 days fairly easily so nice forest service camps are our first choice.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If you are in no hurry, why not pack up the pups and head out. They will eventually feel that the RV is home and can stay in it alone while you do the non dog related sightseeing and the wedding. They will be happier for that length of time and not feel abandoned.
    We thought about taking the 'pups' but they are large dogs (75 and 90 lbs), 11 years old and starting to have some health issues, and very protective - bark at everything - probably get kicked out of every campground. Still have 3 adult sons at home so I don't think that we'll be a problem as we visited daughter and hubby for a month in February. That worked out well though for years we couldn't get them in a car. Then when our daughter was married in NC, we had to bring them - rented a transit van for the 7 of us, took the middle seats out and they loved it. Now they pester us to take them for a ride weekly (and they do know what the word ride means - can't mention it). But yeah, I still have mixed feelings about leaving them.

Your trip sounds like something I would love to do - meander wherever we wanted.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I haven't used an AAA travel book in a while, but it's a good place to start as it lists "gems" in different states.

I generally look for places I want to go and find places in between those stops that look interesting.

Travel sites from states and cities are helpful. I get ideas from RVing sites too as well as some magazines we get.

We are in western Montana now (Kalispell) and like it except the smoke is way too think. se if we come again it will have to be spring the next time to try and beat out the fires.

We liked Spokane a lot.

Just figure out where you want to go and then do a google search with something like "top things to see in....". You'll get lots of hits.
    Used to love the TripTiks they gave us. All my travel time out west was for work (liked the Great Falls area) - never really got to explore anything so the potential list of places we might want to go is long - might be more than one trip since the better half seems to be negotiating a deal with her sister to stay in Sioux Falls for a week visiting and use the 2/2/2 rule. I figure 16 days to get to SD and 16 days back. Might be a good thing as I can't get her to drive the truck let alone pull anything behind and she used to drive half-tracks......Just too many years away and in small cars so out of her comfort zone. I like to drive anyway but I am not doing what I did in the past which was put in 10-12 hours drive time a day to get to a destination.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    We just finished 2 months in ID (mostly passing through), MT, ND, SD, and WY.

Roosevelt National Park (both units), Badlands, Devils Tower, Black Hills (could do a month there), Big Horn mtns, Grand Tetons. Didn't do Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, Sawtooth mtns (got too smoky), or SW Idaho as we recently visited them. Could easily spend a month in WA, or OR.

We have a 26 gal tank, so I feel your pain, but it's been very workable. We also prefer to camp for a week and do day trips in the area. We can boondock for 7 days fairly easily so nice forest service camps are our first choice.
    Spent a couple of weeks with our oldest in Nampa and drove around a bit but only touched parts of western ID - beautiful. Great wine country in Treasure Valley south of Nampa. If we get back there, couple of cases of 'ballast' coming back I'm thinking this will be a SD trip primarily but we'll see. Wife retiring end of this month and I'm still on the fence whether to retire or work part-time. Did you stay at Devils Tower or make it a day visit?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We planned to stay, but chose to day trip when something else was closed. It's a bit of driving but we had plenty of time to hike the base loop trail.

Don't forget the forest campgrounds. Most have a few unreserved sites the are often available early in the week.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post

Don't forget the forest campgrounds.
    Black Hills?
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast