User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVTRIP Wizard and "my maps" weird looking route

I will be traveling in 5 weeks and started to plan my trip. Using rv trip wizard and sending to Google's my maps. Get straight lines. Not following the roads?

And there life app says I can view my planned trip so I could use their mapping gps.....could not figure that out on my S10e.

Also seems I can plan route using windows laptop but my android tablet would not work. Close to getting Garmin rv.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-08-16-08-06-49.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	36068
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used the app but have done mapping on my android on the website. Thinik I tried the app once and did not care for it. Also have not tried sending it to the trucks navigation to see if it works. We usually just print it. If it includes a difficult 6 lane interchange then we send mapping to the truck.

The route you got is interesting for sure
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy right!
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    I will be traveling in 5 weeks and started to plan my trip. Using rv trip wizard and sending to Google's my maps. Get straight lines. Not following the roads?

And there life app says I can view my planned trip so I could use their mapping gps.....could not figure that out on my S10e.

Also seems I can plan route using windows laptop but my android tablet would not work. Close to getting Garmin rv.....
    Thanks for this post. I do use RV Trip Wizard but was not aware we could pull a trip into Google Maps - or not. I just exported our upcoming trip to GPX and imported into Google My Maps and I think I got similar results as you. We will be coming from Niagara to Lake Arrowhead to Mount Washington, NH.

I'm not sure what it has me doing around Chicopee - driving back and forth I guess. And the route seems to be 'as the crow flies'. And it doesn't create a navigable route in Google Maps.

My son is a GIS analyst so I'll see if he can shed some light on this. With the problems Google has been having with Google Maps and their other products such as Android Auto it doesn't surprise me that this does not work.

We have the paid version of RV Trip Wizard which includes the RV Life navigation tool. We are going to give that navigation tool a try on our next trip.

Name:	2021-08-16_10-51-15.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	36087
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use RV Trip Wizard to plan all of my trips and then open them in the RV Life app and navigate using the RV Safe GPS. I’ve never had a bad route. I don’t see the point in using Google Maps as they don’t provide RV safe directions, to the best of my knowledge.
    Perhaps I should add all of the above is done with iOS devices or on a MacBook Pro.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    I use RV Trip Wizard to plan all of my trips and then open them in the RV Life app and navigate using the RV Safe GPS. I’ve never had a bad route. I don’t see the point in using Google Maps as they don’t provide RV safe directions, to the best of my knowledge.
    Perhaps I should add all of the above is done with iOS devices or on a MacBook Pro.
    Glad to hear the RV Safe GPS is working for you. We are planning on using it on our next trip from Florida to New Hampshire. Wife has been using Google Maps to this point, but it is starting to get a little flaky. Changes the route on her when she doesn't want it to. She has to override Google Maps quite often. I did try to use the RV Safe GPS a bit on our last trip until it said "GPS Positioning has been lost".
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you find your route in the rv life app.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    How do you find your route in the rv life app.
    You load the RV Life App. Then pull up the menu from the bottom of the screen. One of the options is RV Trip Wizard - Access trips you've already planned. then on the next screen select the trip you would like to open and navigate.

Name:	InkedScreenshot_20210816-150751_LI.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	36124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedScreenshot_20210816-150810_LI.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	36125
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works the same in Linux and Android. Since it's web based, I assume it would work the same across all the platforms.

The only gripe I have is the navigation "voice" and the fact that it reads EVERYTHING out loud, like I-25 becomes "I dash twenty five" or NM-550 becomes "Nm (sounds like Nihm) dash five hundred fifty"... What the heck?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I did try to use the RV Safe GPS a bit on our last trip until it said "GPS Positioning has been lost".
    That would be concerning. If you open your RV Trip Wizard trip in the RV Life app, you also have the option to download the routing information to your phone so that an internet connection is not necessary. I always do that, but have never needed it.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast