Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with new Reese Goose Box

Installed on My 367BHS (20k version). Install went fine. Installed into the Standard hole pattern (so room to go if not level (nose low)).
    At first hitch-up, I added air and got the indicator into the middle. All is fine.
    Never moved the trailer as I planned on a trip in a few weeks.
    Now I hitch up for that trip and all went well until I check the air.
    All I see in the indicator hole is the bolt!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2174.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	36086
    Add air, but it just blows out the relief valve. Am I over pressure?
    Tried to remove all the air, but never saw any movement of the hitch.
    Did I really remove air by pushing in the Schaeder valve?
    I ended up traveling anyway and the ride was not like other described. Some chucking at bridges and rough roads.
    Please pass on any tips and the details, as they are not included in the instructions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gary325; 08-16-2021 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added picture

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved post to its own thread from 2-year-old thread.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary325 View Post
    Installed on My 367BHS (20k version). Install went fine. Installed into the Standard hole pattern (so room to go if not level (nose low)).
    At first hitch-up, I added air and got the indicator into the middle. All is fine.
    Never moved the trailer as I planned on a trip in a few weeks.
    Now I hitch up for that trip and all went well until I check the air.
    All I see in the indicator hole is the bolt!

Name:	IMG_2174.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	36086
    Add air, but it just blows out the relief valve. Am I over pressure?
    Tried to remove all the air, but never saw any movement of the hitch.
    Did I really remove air by pushing in the Schaeder valve?
    I ended up traveling anyway and the ride was not like other described. Some chucking at bridges and rough roads.
    Please pass on any tips and the details, as they are not included in the instructions.

Thanks.
    I don't know much about the new version as I have the old one. I talked with Reese as the first version would lose air while traveling through the pressure relief valve. I just plugged it. The tech from Reese basically said to ignore the indicator and go by pressure. So I fill mine to 50lbs and ignore the indicator. Been much happier since. But again that may be useless info based on changes to the newer version.

I don't think any hitch can completely eliminate chucking. Its more about minimizing it. I can say the Goosebox has been much smoother than the standard hitch w/MORryde pin box I used to run
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Reese technical support 888-521-0510. There are reports of some bad Schrader valves and/or pressure relief valves, but that was more common on the Gen 1.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought of something on the Gen II schrader valve. You have to push in on the schrader valve in order to get air to flow into the bag. I use a dually air chuck in order to attach to the schrader and at the same time press in on the air valve. If you don’t press in, whatever air gauge reading you get will be inaccurate and basically what ever is in your air hose to the opening of the schrader valve. Since your photo shows only the bolt, I suspect your air bag is empty or nearly so. Try the method above. I bet it works.

I know this from experience trying to use my cordless Ryobi that has the air chuck depicted below. If you just lock it on, it will not fill the bag. You have to also depress the entire Schrader valve to get it to fill. Same thing to deflate.

Name:	AP81D2007050T8CD.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	36146
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 08-17-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added image
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick update:
    I tried to remove all air in the air bag. I was reading about 10-20 psi afterwards. The indicator sight window is below the bed rail of the truck, so it is really hard to check. I set the compressor to only feed 20 psi (vs. the 100 psi that it was set at (when I was airing-up the trailer tires)) and it did not blow out the relief valve.
    Hitched up for the ride to the dealer for an inspection (yes New York State wants money for this too, but only $6). The ride there was much better than the trip from camp. A little "dipping" but nothing like it was when it was at full capacity (~50 psi). I'll have to check it later at next hitch-up.
    It is so easy to mess this up and so little details in their documentation.
    When I get some more time with this, maybe I'll write up my layman's detailed instructions.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See pg 7 of the pdf for inflating the airbag: https://www.reeseprod.com/product-as...all/N94720.pdf

Important part is Step 2, second sentence.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    See pg 7 of the pdf for inflating the airbag: https://www.reeseprod.com/product-as...all/N94720.pdf

Important part is Step 2, second sentence.
    I am aware of "pushing in" the schrader valve to fill. I think what I did was over-filled the air bag to the point where I max'd the relief valve.
    "The Goosebox is equipped with an automatic air relief valve. If you try to over inflate the bag, the relief valve will pop, releasing air."
    So I kept filling the air bag and it just blew out the relief valve.
    I finally bled the air bag by disconnecting the air chuck from the hose and just pressed it onto the schrader valve.
    This got the air bag to about 20 psi.
    Last edited by Gary325; 08-18-2021 at 12:01 PM. Reason: fixed grammar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary325 View Post
    I am aware of "pushing in" the schrader valve to fill. I think what I did was over-filled the air bag to the point where I max'd the relief valve.
    "The Goosebox is equipped with an automatic air relief valve. If you try to over inflate the bag, the relief valve will pop, releasing air."
    So I kept filling the air bag and it just blew out the relief valve.
    I finally bled the air bag by disconnecting the air chuck from the hose and just pressed it onto the schrader valve.
    This got the air bag to about 20 psi.

Got it, now. Thanks.

Funny, I also hooked up yesterday and towed about 10 miles for the required Virginia state safety inspection ($20 here!). I inflated to 40 PSI and indicator bar was in middle of window. Towed to inspection station, got inspected, dumped a half-full fresh water tank that I had sanitized the day before and then refilled the water tank to full at the truck stop/inspection station. After filling the water tank completely, I checked the Goosebox indicator bar and it showed I was overinflated - I guess because water tank is over/behind the axles and it took weight off the pin. I dumped the tank as part of the sanitize and flush and Goosebox bar indicator showed I was now under inflated with weight shifting back to pin. I should have gone to the CAT Scales there with the various tank fills, but I didn't have time.

I did note that I have to be on level ground when checking the Goosebox.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R