Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    OMG now that's a real bummer.
    Can you imagine the feeling as you realized what you did? A friend of mine hauled his boat from Indianapolis to Florida for a late winter fishing trip. Launched and ran to a fishing spot only to find he’d left all of his rods and reels in his basement at home where he’d had them for cleaning, lubrication and new line.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've stored my current, and prior, RVs over 20 miles away for many years without incident. Place is monitored and fenced. I get it, anecdotal evidence from a sample of 1. It never causes me a second of worry; that's what insurance is for.

As for winterizing, I'd have to be 100% certain about the weather, some crazy weather incidents these days. Winterization is cheap and easy; the further away you are, the more inconvenient it will be to make an emergency run to the RV due to some freak weather event. It's been more than once that I have winterized twice in a year because I decide to take one more trip after getting everything settled in for the winter.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reflection fifth wheel stays in storage in a locked, guarded storage lot with 300 other RV's in our Northeast Georgia member owned campground. We drive the 230 miles to spend long weekends.

Our RV's never even been in my home state. But it's close enough where I could tow it home for maintenance if needed. We also have good local RV repair facilities and mobile technicians if needed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For over 2 years I’ve kept mine in a storage lot 4 hours away. If I stored it near home it’d cost me $250/mo. I’m paying $45/mo where it sits now. It’s never been an issue because I always camp in the same general National forest nearby where it’s stored. For my situation it’s perfect, but everyone has different needs. Not having to tow it far is great for gas milage and maintenance on both the trailer and tow vehicle. I always winterize it in November because it’s in the south. The location is fenced and covered and the owner of the lot lives behind the place, which is nice. Once I left the jack light on and the owner noticed it and shut it off for me.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a storage place about 5 miles away but for college football season we were going to be taking 6 trips in 9 weeks about 270 miles each way. I have it stored near there for the next few months and will bring it home once in that time. I will save 2500 miles wear and tear and about $800 in gas for $50/month. I still have my local place but well worth it financially. Both places are locked gates with cameras.

That said, i want to do a mod on the dining table and have the stuff to do it but really need a few dimensions. It looks like I will be taking my chop saw with me on the first trip to try to knock that out.

Honestly, 5 miles or 500, if something happens you would never know unless you got a phone call. If you aren't planning on any upgrades/mods why drag it across the country? It insured.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Every situation is different but I really like the fact that ours is in our backyard. I like the fact that I can keep a close eye on it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Our Solitude is 45 feet off our front porch. We can always take a measurement, get a model number, tweak and modify at will. We have been blessed to live on 5 acres not far from town.

One of my brothers puts his travel trailer in my pole barn (bought the much taller Solitude after it was built (

My other remaining brother has a FR 5er about the same size and weight as our Solitude, but he lives on a Cul de sac. He has to park his unit in front of his house and pray no one hits it while driving by. They cannot leave the slides out on the street side. if one of the neighbors is having people over he has to back up the entire length of the street and onto the main street.

We have surely been blessed!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We keep our 337RLS right here at home on a concrete pad w/ 30Amp electric next to the garage. We use it too much not to have constant access to it for maintenance, cleaning, restocking, minor upgrades, and for the occasional emergency situation for showering if need be. Fridge gets turned on at least 2 or 3 days before a trip then stocked, clean bed linens are on and ready to go, and the cabinets are fully stocked... all things I DON'T want to be doing while I'm vacationing. I like to tinker with things and do that at home, otherwise I'd have to bring too many tools to get things done.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 08-22-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Alaska off the road system and have little choice but to leave our 5th wheel in storage in the lower 48. We have had a great experience with our storage facility. Prior to our last trip, we asked them to check to see if our tow vehicle would start. Truck started and all was great with our 5th wheel and tow vehicle when we arrived. We are very happy with our situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12