User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleroo View Post
    I like the idea of some form of security like this, but what's the use of putting a monitor in the rig itself?
    I think the answer depends on desired outcomes of each individual application.

I (personally) can go either way with a dedicated monitor for viewing the feed while I am inside. It is nice for a "quick perimeter check", or other similar situation.

Just like in public, where I endeavor to be constantly aware of my surroundings, I apply the same/similar principle to cameras (and my approach to security as a whole).

It is a great question, and I am curious about any (and all) other input.
    Bobby and Jessica
    2022 Reflection 311BHS "The Farmhouse"
    2012 F350 CC/CM Flatbed/7k bags "Johnny"
    Cats x 2 (Rosco the Rascal and Vinny Da Cat)
    Aussie Cattle Dog "BlueBell"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after an additional 10 days of testing and use, I am still happy to report that these Reolink cameras are living up to my expectation(s). So much so, that I have purchased more.

The only "real" issue (more an annoyance than anything) is that I can't find the reason (or setting to disable) why they keep reaching out to Amazon. All cloud features, "User Experience" programs, etc... have been disabled and it is still trying to communicate out (UDP port 9999 destination IP 3.94.153.121).

It is something that is easily rectified, but it is worth mentioning (as I can't prove "What" it is actually trying to reach out to w/in Amazon).

No other spurious traffic (in or out) has been noted, and these little guys are being put to work.

If anyone else has any experience with the Reolink setups, I would be interested in hearing any/all feedback.
    Bobby and Jessica

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbygreenwell View Post
    So after an additional 10 days of testing and use, I am still happy to report that these Reolink cameras are living up to my expectation(s). So much so, that I have purchased more.

The only "real" issue (more an annoyance than anything) is that I can't find the reason (or setting to disable) why they keep reaching out to Amazon. All cloud features, "User Experience" programs, etc... have been disabled and it is still trying to communicate out (UDP port 9999 destination IP 3.94.153.121).

It is something that is easily rectified, but it is worth mentioning (as I can't prove "What" it is actually trying to reach out to w/in Amazon).

No other spurious traffic (in or out) has been noted, and these little guys are being put to work.

If anyone else has any experience with the Reolink setups, I would be interested in hearing any/all feedback.
    Just a small note. It might be Amazon AWS it's reaching out to. I have found that many camera manufacturers are "calling home". You would need a packet sniffer to see what data is being sent.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Just a small note. It might be Amazon AWS it's reaching out to. I have found that many camera manufacturers are "calling home". You would need a packet sniffer to see what data is being sent.

I appreciate the reply.

It is, in fact, AWS that it is reaching out to, but the catch is that I don't know what is on the other side of AWS (Private cloud, etc..).

I can see the traffic included in the packets, but that still doesn't explain "why" or even how to disable this communication (assuming there is a capability programmed in to stop it). Easy fix is that the traffic is getting dropped before it leaves my LAN, but that also eats up device resources unnecessarily.
    Bobby and Jessica

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the reply.

It is, in fact, AWS that it is reaching out to, but the catch is that I don't know what is on the other side of AWS (Private cloud, etc..).

I can see the traffic included in the packets, but that still doesn't explain "why" or even how to disable this communication (assuming there is a capability programmed in to stop it). Easy fix is that the traffic is getting dropped before it leaves my LAN, but that also eats up device resources unnecessarily.
    Honestly, if it were me, if block it on my firewall. (I have a pfSense firewall.) But, I'm a geek and a computer weenie, so... [emoji851]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Honestly, if it were me, if block it on my firewall. (I have a pfSense firewall.) But, I'm a geek and a computer weenie, so... [emoji851]

What is "fun" is balancing form and function in this application. Especially since this is a full-time monitoring solution on our rig.

I have reached out to the manufacturer for more information (though I have my doubts as to how beneficial that actually may be).
    Bobby and Jessica

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is "fun" is balancing form and function in this application. Especially since this is a full-time monitoring solution on our rig.

I have reached out to the manufacturer for more information (though I have my doubts as to how beneficial that actually may be).
    Oh, good luck. Most "support" people have no idea that their product does things like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1630068696520.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	36351

I have an Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight Cam & solar charger. So far works great - Love the Geofencing feature (arms/disarms when I arrive/leave) I use them at home also, easy set up & monitors at both locations, cloud storage, access from anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CampMcSurley View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1630068696520.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	36351

I have an Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight Cam & solar charger. So far works great - Love the Geofencing feature (arms/disarms when I arrive/leave) I use them at home also, easy set up & monitors at both locations, cloud storage, access from anywhere.
    I have heard really good things about the Arlo series. Honestly, it was a toss up between the two for me, and the entry price point was what pushed me in the direction I went with the Reolink.

That is a very crisp and clear pic. Thanks!
    Bobby and Jessica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - There are a lot of good options today - The early days of Arlo were not the best, their software has improved a ton over the years. I still get some false alarms from the tree reflections etc. - however way, way better than a few years ago. Since I had already invested in Arlo at home, adding another camera at camp - using one app, controls all cameras was a no brainier. I was concerned how it would all work, having 2 locations, however the geofencing works perfect! Connection/adding a camera was a piece of cake. I am very happy. The other big benefit of the Spot Light camera, no base station required & the solar charger so far works great. My mounting spot up on the tree was a pretty sketchy/precarious job, so certainly did not want to do that every month or so to charge the battery -

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast