User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware!

Suzanne912

Buyer Beware!

First of all I'd like to mention we are new full timers, and I love it! With that said we purchased a 379FL (traded in our Forest River product) ---This 5er is NOT made well enough for full time use. We have lived in ours for approx. 3 months now. We live in the south all year and this year was by far the coldest on record for this region. We were so cold! Now that the outside temps are in the 80's we're boiling in here!

Here's my rant:

Our underbelly has been filling up with water since day one (we didnt realize this until the rainy season was over). A service tech has it opened to dry out - its been a week and half and he is still waiting for authorization from GD for warranty repair.

The air front air conditioner doesnt stop! Its a 13,000 and should be a 15,000 ...aweful lot of space to cool on a 13,000. Cost savings for the manufacturer here for sure.

We see daylight in both doors from the latch down and around the bottom.

Toilet leaks water no matter how many times we've tightened the fittings.

Fireplace just doesnt heat up a room like our other one did. I'm sure it has something to do with cost savings (smaller BTU's) just havent looked at the specs on ours.

Hydraulics bang clunk and creek no matter where or how soft one steps.

Overall this just isnt made well ... its not as solid as it should be for full time use. There are other manufacturers that build a better product for full time use.

GD is getting all kinds of accolades for their awesome products. It is a nice camper however, it really is not any better than any of the other manufactures out there.
    So please if you are considering a GD for full timing please do your homework - I wish I would have.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see anywhere where you have contacted Grand Design themselves. If you do that I think you will find out that they are the BEST manufacturer out there. Did you order it with dual pane windows? Ask about 15k a/c in the front?

Still, call Grand Design and I'm betting much of what you complain about will be looked after.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please give GD a chance to work with you towards your satisfaction. Since this is a privately owned and operated forum, GD does not routinely monitor it. The exception is in the "tech corner" section. You might want to post your complaints there. But based on my experience, you're better off doing the following:

1. Call GD customer service at 574-825-9679 about the delay in authorizing warranty repairs. Every time I've encountered this issue, the delay is on the dealership side and not the GD side.
    2. Send a detailed message via e-mail to Jerry McCarthy who is the Vice President of Service Operations. Let Jerry know about your concerns. If there is anyway he can address them, he will. Jerry's e-mail address is [email protected].

Please give these folks time to address your concerns before you give up on the brand. I had oodles of problems with my Reflection fifth wheel, but I worked with them to address each and every issue. I'm 100% sure I made the correct purchase after working with the team at GD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent all winter in our 379 and it kept us warm, and last week when we were in Alabama with 90 degree days and 99% humidity we stayed cool. I am sure surprised to hear you are having problems
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where was the water in the underbelly coming from?
    Andy, Amy & Paige Zahn
    2011 duramax 2500 denali hd
    2015 Reflection 323bhs

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to contact Grand Design directly instead of complaining on here or to your dealer.

Couple of things...
    You have ducted a/c, with a 15,000 btu unit in the rear. Use it along with the front. The front is a 13,500 low profile unit because it is at the highest point of the trailer.

The fireplace is the same as what you had. There is only one the industry uses, a 5,000 btu output. Different brands, but the same btu's.

The Lipper level up system is the same as used on all coaches. The only difference would be if you have something that uses the Bigfoot system.

I'm willing to bet that your previous unit wasn't 430 square feet, so you really don't have anything to compare to as far as heating or cooling, since 430 Sq ft is the largest RVIA allowable living space in the industry.

Call Grand Design....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

graynomad
    We have a reflection 337 and full time in it. We are sitting in snow in truckee and yes it is cold got two heaters going but it is comfortable . We also have had some problems but grand design have been fantastic, there customer service is great just call them and they go out of there way to help .we have just been to there factory to get some things fixed and wow what awesome people and service.

Suzanne912
    I'm not here to get into the he said she said.

All I'm saying is this is not the BEST 5er on the market. Yes, I agree however that their customer support is great.
    My point was and is .... Trailer manufacturers are pretty much all the same - located in the same general area of the country, where employees jump from company to compay. What makes a good trailer great is the components and materials used.
    I wish I were better educated in some of things that went into this trailer.
    Do your homework!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most have and that's why they selected the trailer. I have and that's why when it comes time to buy my trailer, it WILL be a GD.

Steve and Lynne
    What graynomad said times two! Yes we are also full timing in a Reflection 337, have had some problems mostly with supplier parts that have had issues or failures, endured subero temperatures where we kept warm using lots of propane. Suzanne you make some valid points for sure, but I don't know about employees jumping companies, may be true. But maybe we all may be drinking Grand Design Kool-aid, but we would do it all over again, because I would much rather work with a company that builds a good quality product, and truly helps people when they have problems and does whatever it takes to satisfy the customer. I have had contact with many GD people and they are men and women of their word!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast