User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S 295/70/18. Excellent so far.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been disappointed by the Michelin tires on any of my cars except that I have never gotten anywhere close to the 60K miles that folks are mentioning on any car/truck with the exception of the last set of Continentals on our passenger car - first time in 55 years of driving. I suspect part of the reason is that I get all season for New England weather and they are useless if you run them down to the legal limit of 2/32. I always replace them at 4-5/32. When my daughters F-350 needed tires, that was what I put on and safety was paramount (not saying other brands aren't safe but I have built up trust in Michelin's record).

The only time the Michelin's did not meet my needs was hauling horse trailers to eventing locations onto what seemed like dry grass parking fields only to have to get towed out. At that point, I switched to an all terrain Goodyear tire with kevlar belts. They ran very quiet, got me out of muddy fields and lasted 40K to the 5/32 mark. That was on my 01 Dodge 2500 Cummins SB.

But I do have a question. Do more aggressive treads add anything to SRW stability hauling a 5th wheel when a DRW is not in the plan?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelin Defenders LTX M/S LT275 /70 R18 installed 7/7/21

I've driven about 1,500 miles since I had these installed and must say I am very pleased with the handling, lack of noise, and comfort. Previously I had the Goodyear Kevlar All Terrain tires of which I put 40k miles on. These too were smooth and quiet however I have noticed a much smoother ride with the Michelins, especially when I am not hooked up to the rig. With the Goodyears I found myself needing to air down to 65lbs on the rear tires or I would beat myself up on the ride. With the Michelins the rough ride is not noticed.

Additionally, with the Goodyears I noticed the tread sluffing off in small pieces following some off-road adventures. This was surprising since they were all terrain tires with a more agressive tread than others.

My OEM tires were Firestone Destinations of which I had to replace after 25k miles. These tires were disappointing.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealers always seem to have good prices on tires. I bought a set on my daily driver and have always regretted it. First, car dealer techs aren't tire techs so they're doing something outside their area of expertise. Second, if you have a leak or a flat you have to get a dealer appointment or wait all day. My personal feeling is, pay the extra money at the tire shop and get the service that goes along with it.
    2020 303RLS MorRyde 4000
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW 4x4
    14,000 GVW Auto Leveling
    B&W Companion3600

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiree19 View Post
    Dealers always seem to have good prices on tires. I bought a set on my daily driver and have always regretted it. First, car dealer techs aren't tire techs so they're doing something outside their area of expertise. Second, if you have a leak or a flat you have to get a dealer appointment or wait all day. My personal feeling is, pay the extra money at the tire shop and get the service that goes along with it.
    I always get higher prices at dealers then the local tire shops or Tire Rack. I've never gotten more than 25K miles on OEM tires and that includes Michelins - they are made to auto manufacturer specs which are not kind. I always go to my independent shop for tires - free rotations, balance checks, free flat repair (no plugs), and regular alignment. They even torque the lugs and tell me to come back after 100 miles. Dealer has never done that.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires are funny things... In my experience, the only solution is to shop around when you need them and don't forget to consider perks of free rotations, flat fixes, etc. Due to a recent, unfortunate event towing from PA to TN, where one of my steer tires went egg shaped, the dually got Michelins.

I already had some feathering as well - the usual plight of a dually with luggy tires (Grapplers). I was planning to rotate them to the rear when we got back till the egg incident (slipped belting if you're not familiar with the cause). Since the rears just recently hit the wear bars, I decided to suck it up and change shoes now. Didn't like the Grapplers for heavy towing as the compound was too soft for hot interstates and the luggy design feathered easily.
    Called every shop within an hour, and the best price I found was from a mobile installer! Not only that, he could have the tires next day (arranged Sunday night for Monday install) where as every shop needed two days to get and appointment the next day, at best, for install. Came right out to us at the campground, which made it so much easier to deal with my Crossfires and Centramatics. Michelin LTX AT2s were fresh 2021 production too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years back, I replaced my Bridgestone tires on my 2002 2500 Silverado with Coopers and have always regretted it. The worn out Bridgestone handled and rode way better than the new Coopers. It's time again for new tires and although the Coopers have held up well, I will switch brands just because I feel the Coopers were a grade or two lower than the Bridgestones I had before.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12