User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New tow vehicle. How to fairly compare the Ford verses Chevy/GMC diesel truck lines?

Please I am not wanting to get brand lectures here, just factual information on how to compare truck lines and navigate the different Chevy and GM web sites to compare lines and configure similar trucks

I am looking at new tow vehicles. My 04 F350 6.0 has coast me over 4K in repairs this trip. So as I have time I thought I would look at Chevy/GMC but when I went looking at the Duramax/Allison lines over at Chevy/GMC I get lost in the trim versions/options and packages.

I want to compare apples to apples. So can someone give me pointers in navigating the Chevy/GM world. Looking to find something that compares to the Lariat or King Ranch trim level in the Ford F350 series SRW. 10,500 GVW in a SRW or better. What's about equal over at Chevy/GMC?

First question is what is the difference between Chevy trucks and the GMC trucks. From what I can tell the GMC has the higher trim levels? otherwise the same drivetrain? Is this correct. Looking at 3500 series there

Second question. Is the double cab same as the Ford super cab but in a different door opening configuration?

Third question. It appear the Chevy 350 HD Silverado line is about equal to Ford F350 XLT and to go to higher trim I need to go the the GMC line - is this correct?

Last question. Are rapid specifications (ordering details) similar to Fords available for the Chevy/GMC lines. These would show the details of what is included in each option, etc.

I guess what I am looking for is a how to accurately compare the different brands and options. Trying to be open.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer all your questions... I can only tell you that the Chevy and GMC trucks are identical in terms of the chassis, engines, transmissions, etc. We had a 2013 GMC 2500HD D/A CC prior to trading for a dual rear wheel truck and loved it. I don't remember what trim level it was (it had leather seats but no navigation, etc.). Our 2012 F350 Lariat is a bit higher trim level than the GMC was. Lots of things have changed since 2012/2013, though. (BTW - I'm as happy with the 6.7 PS as I was with the Duramax.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck opinions can be strong. I am not brand loyal at all, though have owned primarily Ram.
    We spend a TON of $$$ on these trucks (> 20 tons if paying by pennies )
    Drive them all!

The F350 will be relatively equivalent to the Chevy/GMC 3500 HD and the Ram 3500.
    The F250 will be relatively equivalent to the Chevy/GMC 2500 HD and the Ram 2500.

When I was looking to purchase new, I spent some time looking at all 3. I was really torn between the Ford and Ram (F350/3500 SRW).
    Unfortunately the aging GM interior styling and history of electrical issues turned me off. I'm NOT saying this is a bad truck, but I looked elsewhere.
    Interior for the GM 2022+ looks to be a HUGE improvement.

Down to Ford and Ram for me:
    I liked the powertrain in the Ford better than the Ram. (Seamless shifting, good pedal feel, etc.)
    I liked the interior better in the Ram.
    Both drove and rode similar; Ram was a bit quieter.

The Ram was a bit cheaper, Option for option.

Cummins has a great reputation and has treated me well.
    The 6.7L Powerstroke is also considered quite reliable now that it's been out for a bit

The Ram has two 6-sp transmission options, the Aisin is generally considered bulletproof, but not the smoothest of transmissions. The 68RFE is smooth and has been very reliable.
    The Ford 10 speed is very new and has suffered some issues in early releases; I understand this has improved. The Ford transmission runs quite a bit hotter, but is apparently by design.

There are plenty of other differences here; I've briefly touched on some considered.

Best of luck to you. At this much money, drive'em all and buy the one that fits your family, budget and conscience!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried to answer as best as possible in bold below.

Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    First question is what is the difference between Chevy trucks and the GMC trucks. From what I can tell the GMC has the higher trim levels? otherwise the same drivetrain? Is this correct. Looking at 3500 series there GMC & Chevy both have higher trim levels. GMC I would say probably is a bit nicer at the top end but comparable. This is based purely on opinion. Drive trains are the same.

Second question. Is the double cab same as the Ford super cab but in a different door opening configuration? Not totally familiar with this config, but looks about the same except the Silverado/Sierra have handles on the outside.

Third question. It appear the Chevy 350 HD Silverado line is about equal to Ford F350 XLT and to go to higher trim I need to go the the GMC line - is this correct? The 3500 Silverado has a couple trim levels. LT is similar to XLT, LTZ is similar to Lariat. LTZ High Country is another level higher.. but I'm not sure its KR status.

Last question. Are rapid specifications (ordering details) similar to Fords available for the Chevy/GMC lines. These would show the details of what is included in each option, etc.If you go to the build and price on both sites, you should be able to find out the cost and what you can put on each model.
    2022 F450 Lariat
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Truck opinions can be strong. I am not brand loyal at all, though have owned primarily Ram.
    At least you escaped the CP4 issue.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    At least you escaped the CP4 issue.
    Yes indeed! Pure luck; I ordered before the the change was announced.
    The CP3 'ish and the digital rear view mirror were both surprises once I received my build sheet.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother in law had a Ram 2500 diesel and was primarily hauling two 4 wheelers on a Diamondback bed cover and towing his 29' travel trailer. They were having stability issues with the 4 wheelers on the bed while towing. He was also having some gremlins in the electrical wiring in the dash. As soon as they got home from their trip in AZ, they traded it off for a Chevy 2500HD LTZ diesel. He said the difference was night and day. The Chevy was much more stable and towed the camper much better. I really like my Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6 gas pickup. We tow a 2019 2800BH with no problem. Good luck.
    2019 Imagine 2800BH
    2020 Chevy 2500HD LT Z71 6.6 gas

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please I am not wanting to get brand lectures here, just factual information on how to compare truck lines and navigate the different Chevy and GM web sites to compare lines and configure similar trucks

I am looking at new tow vehicles. My 04 F350 6.0 has coast me over 4K in repairs this trip. So as I have time I thought I would look at Chevy/GMC but when I went looking at the Duramax/Allison lines over at Chevy/GMC I get lost in the trim versions/options and packages.

I want to compare apples to apples. So can someone give me pointers in navigating the Chevy/GM world. Looking to find something that compares to the Lariat or King Ranch trim level in the Ford F350 series SRW. 10,500 GVW in a SRW or better. What's about equal over at Chevy/GMC?

First question is what is the difference between Chevy trucks and the GMC trucks. From what I can tell the GMC has the higher trim levels? otherwise the same drivetrain? Is this correct. Looking at 3500 series there

Second question. Is the double cab same as the Ford super cab but in a different door opening configuration?

Third question. It appear the Chevy 350 HD Silverado line is about equal to Ford F350 XLT and to go to higher trim I need to go the the GMC line - is this correct?

Last question. Are rapid specifications (ordering details) similar to Fords available for the Chevy/GMC lines. These would show the details of what is included in each option, etc.

I guess what I am looking for is a how to accurately compare the different brands and options. Trying to be open.

Thanks for any help Keith
    The 6.0 AKA 6. oh, oh.
    It appears that you may keep your trucks well beyond the warranty.
    If so, Ford is the last of the big 3 still using the dreaded CP4 fuel pump. I had that in my 2011 Silverado and traded it just after the warranty expired. I could not stomach the idea of a fuel pump failure (they will all fail at some point) costing 10-15 K.
    Do you really want to buy another truck with a known issue that will bite its owner at some point?

BTW, when I needed to dump that truck, GM was the only one not using that pump. That made the decission pretty easy.

Buying today, you have 2 choices if you want to avoid that pump. GM and Ram. Ram only used it a couple of years before moving on.
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-19-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    350=3500. GM and Ram just add a zero

GM and Chevy are virtually the same except styling. Denali GMC is top end vs High Country Chevy. Those in my opinion are similar to Ford’s King Ranch. I won’t comment on what I think of the styling.

You are exactly correct about double cab vs super cab. Ford still does rear hinged doors (and they seem much less common). Chevy and Ram do front hinged doors.

This is not entirely true because the different companies set up their trims a little different, but roughly speaking:
    Ford XLT = Chevy LT = GMC SLE
    Ford Lariat = Chevy LTZ = GMC SLT
    Ford King Ranch/Platinum = Chevy High Country = GMC Denali

Someone feel free to correct me, but does the Denali truly compete with the Limited Ford, or is it a step down in the interior? I know Ram has a trim that does.

Play with the build and price tools. When looking at specific trucks, so long as the power trains are the same (diesel to diesel, gas to gas), cab size, and 4wd/2wd, the prices should be very similar on equivalent trucks from the different makes. Watch out for low GVWR packages that exist purely for tax purposes.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might have a look here. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compar...0HD_d973_d1027

I've had three Chev Suburbans (that was years ago). We looked at the GMCs across the street. Same vehicle and drive train, higher-end interior and GMC label. That was it. As I said, that was many years ago. However, it would surprise me if the same were not true today.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast