User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had back surgery and sensitive to ride of trucks. The 2017 3500 GMC ride was lot better than the 2016 F350 Ford by a large margin. I think the improve is the front independent suspension of the GMC over the straight axle of the F350.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had 2 light duty Chevys (both Double Cabs) and LOVED them. The last one pulled our Reflection TT PERFECTLY. Then I bought a Solitude 310. I also looked at GM Vs. Ford Vs. Ram. My buddy has about a $90K Ram dually that is fantastic. I could not afford that much truck after buying the 310. But, I was fortunate enough to find a F350 XLT Diesel dually Long Bed with a 3.55 axle at the dealer (before ALL of the plant closings) that someone ordered with all the fifth wheel options. It was almost HALF the cost of my buddy's Ram (I can get A plan for Ford). SO that was what I went with.
    Here's the wrinkle in the ointment for you (the OP). My buddy with the Ram (he has a 390RK Solitude) *wishes* he had an F450 because of the turning radius. If you spend alot of time on the forums or *shudder* FB, you will hear the same story. Lots of people like the F450.
    I think the F350 LB is fine, and am content knowing I can pull anything GD (or any other manufacturer) can make. My days of needing a bigger truck are over. There is comfort in knowing that.

As far as Ford/GM/Ram, I like them all. I personally prefer the GM dna in their vehicles. Just the little things like how gages are laid out, etc... Nothing major. But, full disclosure I grew up in Dearborn Michigan. (Where FoMoCo HQ is) So you would think I would prefer Ford's. I don't. Lol
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 DRW 4x4 CC XL 176" WB 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdAl View Post
    Here's the wrinkle in the ointment for you (the OP). My buddy with the Ram (he has a 390RK Solitude) *wishes* he had an F450 because of the turning radius.
    Is there a difference in curb-to-curb diameter between DRW and SRW? I know my son's F550 can out turn my 3500 by a huge margin.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really add much to the GMC 3500 discussion but my experience with the GMC 2500 has been good. We looked at both GMC & Chevy. As others have said, it's the same gal just a nicer dress. I did like the interior and exterior a bit more on the GMC. I would have been just fine with a Chevy.
    I have two gripes. 1) The outside temperature display takes forever to update as you go from parked to driving. It's minor but still a gripe.
    2) The turning radius on my truck is terrible. That may be due the 4x4, not sure, but flipping a "U-Turn" can cause you to hold up traffic. Only did that once.

When shopping I was looking at GM & Ford. I do not buy Chrysler products but that is a personal issue for me. No offense to any RAM fans here.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some research on the turn radius of the one ton SRW trucks last year. Basically, the Ford and Chevy are within about a foot of each other. The RAM has a shorter wheelbase, and has up to (depending on LB/SB) a two foot less turn radius. I would think the dually's are pretty close to the same results, except the F450.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $4k in repairs...what went bad on the truck?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    $4k in repairs...what went bad on the truck?
    Started 3 years ago when EGR cooler melted and took out a head gasket on a trip to Zion in the middle of monument valley. That was 6K. When repaired I had the EGR delete packaged installed along with ARB head studs and a bunch of other bullet proofing. Put maybe 1000 miles on truck with no issues.

This trip the high pressure oil pump failed. It's what fires the injectors. That was a 2.5K repair. Then a wiring harness shorted on a bolt that was on the EGR delete plate $750. AC started to fail as we drove across Tx, La, Ms, Al, and Georgia, so had it looked at in Statesboro Georgia at an independent repair place. Ford dealer there would not even look at it. Repair place worked me in right away. They replaced the main fan clutch, and idle pully that was stiff and a new belt as old one was dry and just starting to crack. AC now working - Another $750. It adds up fast. I will be ordering a new truck when I get home. Truck only has 108,000 on it but is a 2004 model built in 03. Lots of parts getting hard to find or not made anymore like the wiring harness that shorted. Up to now it has been a solid truck.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the usual 6 point oh...ohs got you and then it looks like it is just getting old. Good luck on your search and wish me luck with continued success with my oldie. I'll probably be going new next year, hopefully the supply chain heals back to normal.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Well the usual 6 point oh...ohs got you and then it looks like it is just getting old. Good luck on your search and wish me luck with continued success with my oldie. I'll probably be going new next year, hopefully the supply chain heals back to normal.
    The 7.3's were rock solid. The weak link was the cam position sensor. I kept one in the glove box (IH brand) along with the wrench. Easy road fix once I learned about it. Only other thing I ever had go wrong was the go peddle position sensor. But I had a manual trans and it was giving me issues, so traded up. Was also a regular cab and we had a second kid on the way. Mine was a 95.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things I thought that I would mention here. As far as a independent front end in a heavy towing truck it does make for a better ride. But, does that mean it's better for towing? Nope. If the independent front end wheel alignment is set correctly empty it will be way off with a 14000 lb RV setting behind it. So, if you set the front end correctly with the RV on it & then its out of alignment when you drive around empty. Pick your poison type of thing. In my book; winner straight axel. That is why they have been around forever. As far as the dreaded CP4 fuel pump the fact is its been updated a couple of years ago. With better internal components. So, it could be as good as a CP3 now. You don't know & I don't either at this point. Will see as time goes by. Also S&S diesel that has a new kit for $400 that filters the fuel in a clear bowl if you see metal change the pump, clean out the filter housing & good to go. No $15,000 repair. There are always a way around things. And by the way Dodge did use the CP4 pump in 19 & 20 I believe were the 2 years. There is a kit to use to switch it over to the CP3, if you happen to have a extra $3G. As far as the diesel motors Ford is the only one with the guts to build their own diesel. Gmotors gets theirs from Japan I think. Italian motors uses Cummings & Ford uses Power Strokes built in Mexico.
    By the way I love the new 10 speed backing up the Power Stroke, It is one sweet transmission.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast