User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Please I am not wanting to get brand lectures here, just factual information on how to compare truck lines and navigate the different Chevy and GM web sites to compare lines and configure similar trucks

I am looking at new tow vehicles. My 04 F350 6.0 has coast me over 4K in repairs this trip. So as I have time I thought I would look at Chevy/GMC but when I went looking at the Duramax/Allison lines over at Chevy/GMC I get lost in the trim versions/options and packages.

I want to compare apples to apples. So can someone give me pointers in navigating the Chevy/GM world. Looking to find something that compares to the Lariat or King Ranch trim level in the Ford F350 series SRW. 10,500 GVW in a SRW or better. What's about equal over at Chevy/GMC?

First question is what is the difference between Chevy trucks and the GMC trucks. From what I can tell the GMC has the higher trim levels? otherwise the same drivetrain? Is this correct. Looking at 3500 series there

Second question. Is the double cab same as the Ford super cab but in a different door opening configuration?

Third question. It appear the Chevy 350 HD Silverado line is about equal to Ford F350 XLT and to go to higher trim I need to go the the GMC line - is this correct?

Last question. Are rapid specifications (ordering details) similar to Fords available for the Chevy/GMC lines. These would show the details of what is included in each option, etc.

I guess what I am looking for is a how to accurately compare the different brands and options. Trying to be open.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    Alot of others have already posted about trim levels, etc. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 with the CP4 pump. I didn't know anything about their failures when I bought the truck in 2015. We have a reputable independent diesel shop nearby and I talked to them about the CP4. The route I took was to have the shop do a DEF delete and to add an Airdog 4 lift pump. I change the Airdog filer and water separator every 10K miles. I also use Optilube and add 8 ounces when I fill the tank. I think the biggest enemy of diesel trucks is the lack of good lubrication with the fuel. The truck has served us well and is an excellent tow vehicle. I'd love to replace it and get something "new" but will keep going until the chip issues and crazy prices stabilize. May be running on borrowed time, but I think I've done all I can to protect the engine.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2020 Silverado 3500LTZ SRW long bed that could not pass a Chevrolet dealership. I had a B&W hitch installed with the puck system. I have a Cedar Creek fifth wheel that I measured at 13ft 8in high, legal is 13ft 6in. I guess the 20in tires was the reason. The truck went through 21 injectors so I contacted a attorney and GM paid me to keep the truck and GM would continue to service the truck, GM lied, no dealer would fix it then. I would have been better off if I had let GM buy the truck back. Anyway I deleted the codes on the truck and got a great deal on a 2021 GMC Denali DRW 3500. The GMC Denali has 17in tires. The 2020 Silverado got better fuel mileage the Denali rides better, unfortunately I had a small accident in Shipshewana Indiana. I was going to try and pay for the damages to the dually but it’s up to $10,000 bucks and could go a little more, it could be worse. I was thinking of trading the DRW for a SRW but I think I’ll just keep the dually. DW hates the dually, I run over curbs. I sometimes try to run over posts at 35mph. Both the Silverado and the Denali pulls the Cedar Creek great, I also have a 100gal auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck, DW said both trucks were tanks. I think the Silverado had more inside the truck or it seemed that way to me. The Denali dually pulling the camper at 70mph gets 9..8 mpg, at 63mph the dually gets 11.3. The Silverado got 11.5 at 67mph, I never ran the Silverado below 67mph. The Silverado ran good when something was wrong with 8 injectors at one time. The only thing wrong with the Silverado was all the codes that came on about bad injectors, who knows it may have been a bad chip. I met a man at the Forest River rally in Goshen Indiana, he had a new Silverado DRW that told me he had already replaced 2 injectors and he only had 3,000 miles on the truck. I had a 2012 Silverado 3500 when I traded the truck in with 180,000 miles, the only trouble it had was glow plugs and def tanks which went away when I deleted the emissions at 140,000 miles. If you are looking to delete the emissions then buy a Ford, I’m told you can delete the emissions on a brand new Ford where as you can’t do a delete on a GM/GMC

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Alot of others have already posted about trim levels, etc. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 with the CP4 pump. I didn't know anything about their failures when I bought the truck in 2015. We have a reputable independent diesel shop nearby and I talked to them about the CP4. The route I took was to have the shop do a DEF delete and to add an Airdog 4 lift pump. I change the Airdog filer and water separator every 10K miles. I also use Optilube and add 8 ounces when I fill the tank. I think the biggest enemy of diesel trucks is the lack of good lubrication with the fuel. The truck has served us well and is an excellent tow vehicle. I'd love to replace it and get something "new" but will keep going until the chip issues and crazy prices stabilize. May be running on borrowed time, but I think I've done all I can to protect the engine.
    The things you did do not address the reason the pumps fail. If I was going to keep such a truck (remember I had one) I would see about a CP3 conversion, or doing a premptive replacement. EVERY motor made will at some point need a new fuel pump... They just do not last forever. On most motors all it takes is a few bucks, an afternoon, and a few beers and you are back on the road.
    Only the CP4 takes out the entire fuel system when it lets go. There is zero warning. Everytime you start the truck could be the time your number comes up.
    You have already eliminated the emission stuff, so you are part way there to a CP3 conversion.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All 3 are currently making great, reliable, powerful trucks. Buy the one you like best and can afford.
    Ill say I think Ford and Dodge have a few nice features I wish my Dmax had, but I prolly have a couple of features they dont. Point is compare the features closely.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2542 View Post
    All 3 are currently making great, reliable, powerful trucks. Buy the one you like best and can afford.
    Ill say I think Ford and Dodge have a few nice features I wish my Dmax had, but I prolly have a couple of features they dont. Point is compare the features closely.
    Personally, the thing that sold me on the Ford SD was the solid front axle. I know Chevy uses an A-frame suspension up front, don't know about Ram.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own both. The turning radius on my 2017 F350 seems much less usable than my GMC 3500. Maybe they've made some changes. Just my two cents worth

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    OP, ask yourself...do you really need a diesel? I know we don't, so Godzilla here we come...
    I looked very hard at that decision and have been watching the reviews/issues.

So lets look
    My 04 6.0 makes 325HP @ 3500 and 560 lb-ft @ 2000 6 speed trans. I just completed a trip to Georgia and back and barely kept up with traffic at 70-75 mph. I could feel I was pushing it. Fuel mileage 7 to 9 depending on wind. And yes I run that fast as I have too many close calls getting someone up my hiney going slower, say 65 mph

Now the 7.3 is air aspirated, so where I an at in CO I loose power. If I remember correctly you loose 3% per 1000 feet, so going over the mountains I could be down 30% Its rated at 430HP@ 5500 RPM, and 475lb/ft@ 4000 so to get power you near red line. While it has HP it has less torque. About equal to what I have. Reported fuel mileage 6 to 10 mpg, but lower at altitude due to the lack of turbo. It does come with the 10 speed trans.

Now the 6.7; 475 HP @ 2600 and 1050lb/ft @ 1600 with the 10 speed trans. The 6.7 is the elephant in the china shop to get and keep things moving. It also appears to get around 12 mph when towing. However the weal link is the CP4 fuel pump, but there is a disaster kit to keep failures in check.

So for now I am leaning towards the 6.7.

But willing to listen to those that have one.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Whichever brand you think you're going to settle on make sure you compare it with the Ford F450. You will fall in love with the amazing turning radius, and it is comparable to an F350 when carrying payloads . The entire running gear is just much larger i.e. The Springs and brakes and so on and so forth.
    You are very correct on the 450 (SWEET). But I am downsizing and no longer need a dually. I already have one and know the ups and downs. Appreciate the input though.

Now for a laugh consider a F450 pulling a Reflection 220RK (the shortest full size 5th wheel made at 26'11" and roughly 9K GVW) While a sweet dream, a bit of overkill plus about 10K in cost.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Folks I want to thank you for all the help here, Great information and no Brand Bashing - a plus for this group.

I am home safe from my trip to Georgia and back to CO. 4K$ less in the pocket book. 6.0 ate the high pressure oil pump, had a wiring harness short and primary fan clutch, belt, and idle pulley needed to be replaced to keep the AC working. Last 1000 miles trans was making noise at stop (rumble gurgling sound) getting louder as we got th CO and home. Only makes noise towing. Truck is an 04 6.0 CC long bed dually with 108000

So now I am making appointments with GM dealer to review what they can get, and have down loaded the latest Ford rapid specifications. What bugs me is the Dark or Light interior on the trucks. I don't need a black interior here in CO and the tan colors are too light. To get a brown or something similar means stepping up in trim levels no matter what brand I consider.

Thanks for the help

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    . What bugs me is the Dark or Light interior on the trucks. I don't need a black interior here in CO and the tan colors are too light. To get a brown or something similar means stepping up in trim levels no matter what brand I consider.

Thanks for the help
    I think you will have that problem with all three. When I went looking for an F-350 or RAM, my interior choices were black, black, dark gray, and black. I had to drive to MD to get a 'blue' aka gray. Just happened to find a beige/brown interior on a lot two states away and grabbed it.

Good luck!
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast