User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Solitude 375 RES and GD quality concerns

Hi GD owners!

I don't want this to be slam post, but I am having some quality concerns about GD and my brand new 2021 Solitude 375RES.
    I previously owned a 2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS and absolutely loved it! I towed it thousands of miles with over 100 nights camping each year. It had the usual minor issues (lower shower track leak out of the factory, maybe a loose piece of trim here or there...) You know, normal stuff....
    I felt the Reflection was a good improvement in quality over the 2016 Vengeance Touring Toy hauler I had before it, and i felt the multiple recommendations from others to buy a Grand Design were true as the sky is blue!
    We decided we wanted to upgrade to a Solitude because I wanted the storage the 375RES would provide so that I could take along my telescope and other hobby items. (Plus it's a SOLITUDE LOL... I wanted top tier!)

Our walk through had a few things that we found right away. I was a bit surprised as several of them were so super obvious that I wondered how the heck anyone could have missed it, but shrugged my shoulders and accepted they would fix it when they got the parts in.

Anyway, I only have 30 nights into the unit on my first trip out (60 days ownership) and this is just some of the problems I am having so far down below.
    I mean I felt like buying a brand new Solitude was going to be an upgrade, or at least as good as my Reflection, but everywhere I look on this thing I keep saying "what 8 year old did this...."
    Obviously nothing is going to be perfect in these things, but I feel like I bought a cheap, entry level camper instead of what I thought was one of their top of the line models.

• Bedroom Slide leaking water into bedroom floor and into storage compartment badly with only slight rain.
    • Bedroom heat vent not hooked up. (Heat blowing directly into bathroom cabinet, super heating and melting everything that was in the cabinet)
    • Bathroom shower seat won't open correctly (mounted crooked and a screw is broken off under the mount.)
    • Kitchen sink plumbing leaking in 3 different spots on the drain pipe. (A quick inspection shows the joints are all glued with mass amounts of plastic debris in them causing leaks everywhere)
    • Kitchen main ceiling light falling apart (caught during inspection)
    • The main 8 foot cargo tray that pulls out runs into the lower slam latch catch hooks when not even loaded to half capacity. (cross member on bottom of tray runs into the slam latch hooks)
    • The living room heat pump does not work. It just blows cold air (even tested at 70 degrees outside to see if it would get even slightly warm)
    • The assembler used a 2 inch long drywall screw to fasten a zip tie to 1/8 thick cabinet wall on the bathroom sink cabinet and I cut the crap out of my hand reaching into the cabinet.
    • Living room recliners not bolted down. (My wife mildy hurt herself getting out because the unit toppled forward. I think this is probably a common problem. My vengeance had 1 screw holding in the whole couch.)
    • Bad window shade (minor thing of course. can't blame GD, but q/a should have caught it.)
    • Chipped counter top (I caught during inspection as it was quite obvious)
    • Bedroom pullout ottoman top is covered in lots of tree SAP every time we open it. Has to be coming from the wood frame somewhere.
    • Bed Platform not screwed down right. (Hing screws all stripped out.)
    • There is a 12 inch wide hole in the bathroom cabinet wall to run 2 tiny wires, and it looks like a drunkard cut it with an out of control saw and then snapped it out the rest of the way. (That hole would be large at 1 inch across!)
    • Front door won't close properly.
    • Most of the slam latch doors don't seem to seal very tight. (Like the bottom part of the doors are not engaging the lower portion of the seal.)
    • Cap lights have a couple led lights out .
    • Random missing and mismatched screws everywhere. (Bedroom door hinges have random copper screws mixed in with black.)
    • And of course the lower shower track leaks like my two previous units did. Again, no big deal there.

I sort of feel like I am being whiney, but at the same time this wasn't a cheap or used rig. S
    Dropping this thing off for warranty will likely mean it will be there well into the winter, and dealer fixes aren't always the utmost in craftsmanship either.

This isn't normal for Grand Design right?
    I know we want to blame COVID for everything, but Dang Gina...

Thoughts?
    I did email a GD regional service manager but haven't heard anything back yet.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    -Idahoryan

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound like a lot of stuff, Ryan - sorry you're experiencing these issues. Please keep us posted on what your hear back and/or get accomplished with GD Customer Service and your dealer.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear Idahoryan - Does this represent some of the covid supply chain demand, resource short-comings and fast manufacturing activity, I'm wondering.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about all that, by the way, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you got the rig built Friday afternoon. I live in Idaho, more towards the South/East area, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand if needed, just send a PM if interested. Dealer fixes can take awhile and sometimes DIY is much better as far as quality.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replies, and the offer to help!!
    We had to travel the past couple weeks with the 375 RES down to Gunnison Colorado. I never heard back from the GD service rep I emailed (DeWayne Jordan) but my wife has been pinging our dealer (Blue Dog RV) in Post Falls, ID regularly for status updates on the issues from our walk through. Some parts are still on back order, but they are at least responding to us. We also sent them a video of the bedroom slide leak so that they could try to get parts for it is well.

Unfortunately, we encountered our first “real” rainstorm tonight and the kitchen started flooding bad as well! One of the window frames in the kitchen slide out (table side) leaks badly down the interior wall right near the 110V outlet on the floor, and water also started leaking out on both sides of the stairs going up to the living room. I can’t even fathom how water could leak there, but it was definitely from the rain as it quit as soon as the rain stopped. I am not talking a drip or two, I am talking multiple full size bath towels dripping wet to the point we ran out of towels to throw at it. (We had a salad bowl catching the rain from the bedroom slide) I took cell videos of everything I could as we tried to stay on top if it. Happy to post to YouTube if anyone wants to see them?

We will be calling our dealer and Grand Design on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday as I think this is venturing beyond basic warranty.
    Time to see if Grand Design will do the right thing here or not…

Have a great Labor Day weekend and I will keep you posted!

Cheers,

IdahoRyan

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, me too. Similar problems with my 2022 Solitude 375RES including the cutout underneath the bathroom cabinet and more.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbwilliams25 View Post
    Hey, me too. Similar problems with my 2022 Solitude 375RES including the cutout underneath the bathroom cabinet and more.
    Sorry to hear that, it must be frustrating. BTW, looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Sorry to hear that, it must be frustrating. BTW, looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum.
    Thank you, yes I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a lemon law for RVs? if so i'd return it or see a lawyer, those kind of defects are uncalled for for any RV.
    2020 Tundra Crew Max Limited 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FjClay View Post
    Is there a lemon law for RVs? if so i'd return it or see a lawyer, those kind of defects are uncalled for for any RV.
    In short, no.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast