User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    I’d be curious to know how many miles on the unit and how often you pull the hubs and inspect, clean, grease…

I have over 35K on original OEM 7K Dexter axles and all are working great with lots of miles left in them
    Hi Viper, this is our third Grand Design product. We are not new to travel trailer ownership and preventive maintenance. ( 4 trailers and 1 class B) We tow about 7000-9000 miles per year. In the case of the 2970RL failure, the trailer was less than 4 mos old and had about 900 miles on it. I did not inspect the hubs, bearings and seals. In this case, I acquired the trailer in Apr of this year from an owner in AZ who had it delivered to his permanent site in Apache Junction, AZ. Other than the 1500 mile trip from IN to AZ, I am the first to tow it. I picked it up early Apr and did a full inspection of bearings, tires, brakes, and shackles. All bearings were hand packed by me and new seals were installed. Also, greased all zerk fittings. All looked good at that time. Since that time we have towed 6600 miles to time of failure. Since we tow less than 10,000 miles per year, I only do a spring inspection of bearings and replace all seals. I wish I had your luck.
    How often do you do your PM? thanks, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    To have it done would probably run in the neighborhood of $3,000-$5,000. Just a guess, probably more. The brake kit alone is around $2,000, plus
    all the additional parts.
    Mine cost me $2100 installed by a shop here in Albuquerque.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpo1958 View Post
    About how much would that cost to have done? (I only do work on things that, if they break, won't kill me.)
    I just had my 21bhe converted to EOH disc brakes and cost was $3400. In the case of the 21bhe the axles needed to be replaced as well since no disc brake conversion was available for the undersized 3000 lb dexter axles GD used. Dexter had now discontinued the 3000 lb axle.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Interesting........most of these posts have the word "Lippert" in place of the "Dexter".

I haven't heard of many failures with Dexter.
    Steve, X2.....this is the first on this forum as I recall this situation being shared.

@fmartinmn - thanks, for sharing. At the National Rally in 2019, there were a number of folks were getting various types of suspension work right at their campsites. These service techs from these companies and from GDRV are amazing hard working folks.

Enjoy the rally !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Hi Viper, this is our third Grand Design product. We are not new to travel trailer ownership and preventive maintenance. ( 4 trailers and 1 class B) We tow about 7000-9000 miles per year. In the case of the 2970RL failure, the trailer was less than 4 mos old and had about 900 miles on it. I did not inspect the hubs, bearings and seals. In this case, I acquired the trailer in Apr of this year from an owner in AZ who had it delivered to his permanent site in Apache Junction, AZ. Other than the 1500 mile trip from IN to AZ, I am the first to tow it. I picked it up early Apr and did a full inspection of bearings, tires, brakes, and shackles. All bearings were hand packed by me and new seals were installed. Also, greased all zerk fittings. All looked good at that time. Since that time we have towed 6600 miles to time of failure. Since we tow less than 10,000 miles per year, I only do a spring inspection of bearings and replace all seals. I wish I had your luck.
    How often do you do your PM? thanks, Frank.
    We tow about 4000 miles a year.. I also have owned several RVs over the last 45 years and do all work on my RVs ..

I pull the hubs at the start of a new season and clean and inspect the brake parts, races, bearings, suspension, etc

Image of my brakes when I serviced them early May this yearÂ…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B1033071-A712-401D-B3D9-EED20863995A.jpeg  

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    We tow about 4000 miles a year.. I also have owned several RVs over the last 45 years and do all work on my RVs ..

I pull the hubs at the start of a new season and clean and inspect the brake parts, races, bearings, suspension, etc

Image of my brakes when I serviced them early May this yearÂ…
    Thanks for the response Viper, looks great, in Apr mine looked at least that good since they only had about 1500 miles on them. I am in the process of pulling the other 3 drums to check them after 6600 miles since my last inspection. So far, 1 failed seal, it was a Dexter OEM part. Keep up the good work.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart move bailing on the drum brakes. Not waiting for my failure, converting to disc brakes over the winter on my 2020 2970RL. Can't keep the magnetic brakes in adjustment...Dexter axles. Really sucks that you have to get 5200 lb axles to get discs.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    Smart move bailing on the drum brakes. Not waiting for my failure, converting to disc brakes over the winter on my 2020 2970RL. Can't keep the magnetic brakes in adjustment...Dexter axles. Really sucks that you have to get 5200 lb axles to get discs.
    Here is an update to my original thread. I just completed replacing the other 3 brake assemblies. 3 of the 4 new Dexter seals I installed in Apr failed and allowed grease to saturate my brake shoes. So now I have new brake assemblies all the way around. Total miles on the seals was about 6600. Based on my experience with the drum brakes, I feel it will be well worth the upgrade. I don't want to be paranoid and pulling my drums every 3-4000 miles to inspect. Best of luck with your conversion. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12