User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've seem this. You are over softening your water. You do not need to soften all the time. Just when you notice the telltales of hard water where you are staying. It's also a good idea to make a regular habit of draining the water heater when you've been softening/stayed where known hard water. The tank can be checked with a borescope. You can make a very capable flush wand out of coiled copper tube and some fittings - copper tube compression to NPT, NPT ball valve, and NPT to 3/4" GHT. Straighten a length of the copper and get to work making a nozzle. You can pinch the end with pliers, solder tight and then drill ports, or do what I have done on recent one - just pinch the end closed such that you get a high pressure spray pattern. You can bend the end down a bit as well. This will allow you to jet loose aggregating sediment. I have to do this routinely because mountain water is HARD! If you have been camping in the Pacific Northwest, softening the volcanic, mineral rich, and non-neutral pH water makes it even more corrosive!
    Last edited by geotex1; 09-06-2021 at 05:55 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yes, I've seem this. You are over softening your water. You do not need to soften all the time. Just when you notice the telltales of hard water where you are staying. It's also a good idea to make a regular habit of draining the water heater when you've been softening/stayed where known hard water. The tank can be checked with a borescope. You can make a very capable flush wand out of coiled copper tube and some fittings - copper tube compression to NPT, NPT ball valve, and NPR to 3/4" GHT. Straighten a length of the copper and get to work making a nozzle. You can pinch the end with pliers, solder tight and then drill ports, or do what I have done on recent one - just pinch the end closed such that you get a high pressure spray pattern. You can bend the end down a bit as well. This will allow you to jet loose aggregating sediment. I have to do this routinely because mountain water is HARD! If you have been camping in the Pacific Northwest, softening the volcanic, mineral rich, and non-neutral pH water makes it even more corrosive!
    Excellent advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12