Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anode after 4 months full time!

Started getting rust in hot water at the faucet. Metallic taste and smell. Check pre-filter at the city water (specifically for rust removal) and it was clear. Cold water was fine so I decided to investigate the water heater. Hit the pressure release and rusty water came out. Hmmm. Pulled the anode and was surprised to see this. We've been full timing since may. We've had a water softener since end of June. Bottom of water heater tank is a sand bed up to the opening. Crazy! Anyone else have a rod burn out that quickly?

Hoping the rust and metallic smell are from the anode rod and there's no damage to tank itself. Thoughts about that? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210821_120605.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	36241

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    short answer - it happens; replace it.

Long answer....
    I got into some really bad water back in the spring in the SW. It was terrible water. I ended up getting a good filter for the incoming water and after that didn't work I re-purchased a water softener (had one a while back but sold it - big mistake).

Nothing much improved so I replaced my anode which was in a lot better shape than your.

Things got better but I'm not sure if it was because I moved on to places with better water or not. Now I get lots of murky water from faucets, especially from the bathroom. It's mostly from the hot water faucet in the sink there. I never had this problem before this past spring.

When I get home in a few months I plan to drain, flush, remove the heating element, treat the tank with a water/vinegar solution then replace the heating element (and anode rod again if I don't like the way it looks) and hope things improve.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    short answer - it happens; replace it.

Long answer....
    I got into some really bad water back in the spring in the SW. It was terrible water. I ended up getting a good filter for the incoming water and after that didn't work I re-purchased a water softener (had one a while back but sold it - big mistake).

Nothing much improved so I replaced my anode which was in a lot better shape than your.

Things got better but I'm not sure if it was because I moved on to places with better water or not. Now I get lots of murky water from faucets, especially from the bathroom. It's mostly from the hot water faucet in the sink there. I never had this problem before this past spring.

When I get home in a few months I plan to drain, flush, remove the heating element, treat the tank with a water/vinegar solution then replace the heating element (and anode rod again if I don't like the way it looks) and hope things improve.
    I just replaced the rod and flushed out the tank best I could with the hose adapter. Was able to flush most of the loose sediment, but there's some deposits on the bottom of the tank that are not coming free. We'll see how that fares. Might end up removing rod and buying a plug to flush some 30% vinegar and let that sit in there a few days. Hopefully the rust water stops with the flush and new rod. My concern is damage to the tank itself (i.e. wall lining or whatever else could be rusting in there).

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I just replaced the rod and flushed out the tank best I could with the hose adapter. Was able to flush most of the loose sediment, but there's some deposits on the bottom of the tank that are not coming free. We'll see how that fares. Might end up removing rod and buying a plug to flush some 30% vinegar and let that sit in there a few days. Hopefully the rust water stops with the flush and new rod. My concern is damage to the tank itself (i.e. wall lining or whatever else could be rusting in there).

That is a great mitigation. When you have time as Larry suggested a good vinegar soak should soften and help relieve your wh tank of those deposits with a good subsequent flush.

Good Luck!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    That is a great mitigation. When you have time as Larry suggested a good vinegar soak should soften and help relieve your wh tank of those deposits with a good subsequent flush.

Good Luck!
    I'd really like to do it now but since I'm only on the road for about another 30 days I decided it was safer to wait then mess something up. We'll see how things work out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually that rod has a lot of life left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED506A81-18F6-4645-86E6-0C5E6089A78C.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	36260

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Actually that rod has a lot of life left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED506A81-18F6-4645-86E6-0C5E6089A78C.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	36260
    Based off your photo, I would say it was closer to 75% used or more. It was brittle and pieces just falling off and the core was exposed through out. Definitely wouldn't last much longer at this rate. Especially not another 9 months to make it a year. Luckily after changing rod and flushing tank, rusty water and metallic smell/taste are gone. When I'm somewhere longer with enough time to sit without hot water, I'll pull rod and plug it for and vinegar bath so I can flush it again to try and get those last few deposits.

I watched a few videos online of RVers flushing their tanks after a year of use and I had considerably more sediment and a further corroded anode after 3 months than they did in a year. I'm thinking that one park on the Brazos in Texas had extremely hard water.

Oddly enough I've started doing the vinegar in my other tanks and a lot of crap came out of my gray tank that was sediment already, just like my water heater. I'm vinegar bathing the fresh tank right now since we have full hook ups for this week.

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started getting rust in hot water at the faucet. Metallic taste and smell. Check pre-filter at the city water (specifically for rust removal) and it was clear. Cold water was fine so I decided to investigate the water heater. Hit the pressure release and rusty water came out. Hmmm. Pulled the anode and was surprised to see this. We've been full timing since may. We've had a water softener since end of June. Bottom of water heater tank is a sand bed up to the opening. Crazy! Anyone else have a rod burn out that quickly?

Hoping the rust and metallic smell are from the anode rod and there's no damage to tank itself. Thoughts about that? Click image for larger version. 

that rod is a sacrificial lamb so to speak. it goes bad to protect your tank replace it when needed. as you travel around its really hard to say how good or bad the water quality is so replace your water filters and anode rod regularly and you will be ok
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I’ll be checking mine soon.

Jorge & Maria
    Ram 2500 6.7TD
    Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdaddy View Post
    that rod is a sacrificial lamb so to speak. it goes bad to protect your tank replace it when needed. as you travel around its really hard to say how good or bad the water quality is so replace your water filters and anode rod regularly and you will be ok
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamaddog View Post
    Wow I’ll be checking mine soon.
    Guys from the GD service team at the rally were shocked by my situation. Said they've never seen corrosion and rusting that fast. The new anode rod was already showing rapid signs of deterioration. Entire water heater will have to be replaced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast