User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600AH Battery Bank Complete

I finished my 600 amp hour battery bank and wanted to share. For the major components I used 3 - 200AH Ampere Time batteries, a Giandel 4000 watt pure sine inverter, an automatic transfer switch and a Victron 712 Smart Shunt / Battery Monitor. For a charger, we have a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp unit. One thing I like about the system is I simply hit one button and I'm running on batteries. It runs my fridge and chest freezer great while traveling. This morning, I even made coffee, scrambled eggs (on the induction burner) and toast without stressing the system too much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remote.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	36249

Name:	Whole System.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	36250

As for where I put the batteries, you probably noticed they appear to be behind the false wall of the pass through.

Name:	batteries.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	36251

What I did to protect the batteries was build battery trays from poplar with a 3/4" sanded plywood floor and 1" of foam insulation underneath to keep them off of the floor when it's cold. Those trays were then screwed to the floor.

The parts I didn't do myself were the clean up of area behind that false were and install of the transfer switch. I hired a local handyman who was much skinnier than I--my main requirement was that he fit in there Actually I think he did a decent job cleaning that area up, since it was just a myriad of pipes, wires and ducts laying loose mostly on the floor. Here's how much space is really back there:

Name:	location.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	36252

I rebuilt the false wall but left one small open area to visually inspect everything from the pass through door--sorry no pics there because that part is still kind of rough. Next will be the solar install. One thing I really like about this system is that it's not a $10-15k battleborn / Victron everything system. Those kind of systems are great but just beyond what I was willing to shell out. I did go with the Victron monitor though because of the 500 amp shunt. I also found that having it talk to my iphone for real time monitoring is priceless.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I finished my 600 amp hour battery bank and wanted to share. For the major components I used 3 - 200AH Ampere Time batteries, a Giandel 4000 watt pure sine inverter, an automatic transfer switch and a Victron 712 Smart Shunt / Battery Monitor. For a charger, we have a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp unit. One thing I like about the system is I simply hit one button and I'm running on batteries. It runs my fridge and chest freezer great while traveling. This morning, I even made coffee, scrambled eggs (on the induction burner) and toast without stressing the system too much.

As for where I put the batteries, you probably noticed they appear to be behind the false wall of the pass through.

What I did to protect the batteries was build battery trays from poplar with a 3/4" sanded plywood floor and 1" of foam insulation underneath to keep them off of the floor when it's cold. Those trays were then screwed to the floor.

The parts I didn't do myself were the clean up of area behind that false were and install of the transfer switch. I hired a local handyman who was much skinnier than I--my main requirement was that he fit in there Actually I think he did a decent job cleaning that area up, since it was just a myriad of pipes, wires and ducts laying loose mostly on the floor. Here's how much space is really back there:

I rebuilt the false wall but left one small open area to visually inspect everything from the pass through door--sorry no pics there because that part is still kind of rough. Next will be the solar install. One thing I really like about this system is that it's not a $10-15k battleborn / Victron everything system. Those kind of systems are great but just beyond what I was willing to shell out. I did go with the Victron monitor though because of the 500 amp shunt. I also found that having it talk to my iphone for real time monitoring is priceless.
    Looks great! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post

Great job !

Let us know how the Ampere Time batteries perform over time.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your setup and photos. Can you also tell us what you paid for each component? It'll help to identify which model of each you used.

Also, I'm trying to do a simple upgrade of the 12v acid battery to a 200 Ah Ampere Time lithium battery. Can I just swap out my existing battery, or do I also need a new/better inverter? battery charger? anything else? Thanks.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearNTrail View Post
    Thanks for sharing your setup and photos. Can you also tell us what you paid for each component? It'll help to identify which model of each you used.

Also, I'm trying to do a simple upgrade of the 12v acid battery to a 200 Ah Ampere Time lithium battery. Can I just swap out my existing battery, or do I also need a new/better inverter? battery charger? anything else? Thanks.
    For the most part, you can perform a simple Lithium battery for a Lead Acid battery swap without changing the other components in your system.

The only issue you will have is with the Converter (aka Charger) in your system. In order to get the most benefit from your new Lithium battery, you need a Lithium capable Converter, otherwise your new battery will not get fully charged. I recommend the Progressive Dynamics Converters because they have an excellent reputation.

When installing a new Converter you can increase the amperage rating from the original Converter, however, you need to make certain that the wire gauge from the Converter to the battery is large enough to handle the increased charging amperage. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Ampere Time battery does not have a cold weather shut-off, consequently, you need to ensure you never try to charge it if the temps are at, or below, freezing. One way to avoid this is to install the battery in a heated hold (you can also avoid cold weather camping).

One additional cold weather warning: If you have Solar charging for your batteries, make certain your Solar can not charge the batteries if the temps are freezing, or below.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearNTrail View Post
    I am certainly not an expert, but your existing power converter (converters convert 120 volt to 12 volt, inverters do the opposite so you likely don't have an inverter) will charge the lithium batteries to about 80-90%. Power converters are used to charge the batteries and run 12 volt devices (fans, lights, water pump, etc) on 120 volt shore power.
    To use the full capacity of your new batteries you will need to put in a power converter that is made for both lead acid and lithium. I just ordered a SOK 206 amp hour battery and will be replacing the existing WFCO WF-8735P-GE with a Progressive Dynamics PD4135K from ETrailer. The new converter cost about $170.
    Good luck with your upgrade. There are a lot of threads on this subject that can be found with the search feature and adding your trailer info as a signature can be helpful when you are asking questions. You can do that in Settings.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also possible your new battery has cold weather protection built in.
    i.e., for its own protection it refuses to accept a charge if it's too cold.

Something to keep in mind when choosing a lithium battery.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback!! As I find out more, I'm doing more investigation. Primarily, I want to be sure I'm being safe. I've done a lot of house wiring, but DC power is a new beast. Keep the suggestions coming.

Still trying to add a signature... 2019 Solitude 310-GK; 2018 GMC 3500 Diesel SRW
    Last edited by BearNTrail; 09-03-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing to think about when changing to a larger converter, you may have to increase the circuit breaker/wire size on the AC portion of the converter.

I have not followed through on my convert swap out but I went from 55A to a 100A. My 15A circuit breaker will blow after several minutes [20-30 min] while charging. As you probably know lithium batteries will take a full load until they are pretty much full.

My converter plugs into the back of the circuit board and I suspect that board is rated to the factory 15A breaker. Not certain if I have to change out everything or not. It also could be a temperamental breaker too. I do know that 100A at 110v is pretty close to the 15A breaker rating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmeer View Post
    It's also possible your new battery has cold weather protection built in.
    i.e., for its own protection it refuses to accept a charge if it's too cold.

Something to keep in mind when choosing a lithium battery.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    Ampere time batteries are the same as Chins and Zooms (Zooms goes by a different name now.) They do not have the low temperature shut off built into the BMS system. You can manage the low temperature shut off with your Victron battery shunt though. That's what I did with my system when I installed three 200amp Zooms.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast