User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    In addition to @NB Canada's question, I'll just add that "stuff" can stay in the near-horizontal parts of the drain pipes after the valves are closed. When the trailer is moved or the level is changed, the "stuff" will drain toward the outlet and wait to surprise you when you removed the cap.

BTW - You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    Being you are new to this, just throwing it out there because it can be confusing. The valves are pull/push type valves, not the turn type so could it be possible the valves where open I.e. pulled out when you removed the cap? They should be pushed in for closed and only pulled open once you are hooked up and ready to dump.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    Thanks inadvance for your help. Went to dump the tanks for the very first time. Handles in the nautilous system pushed all the way in.

When opening the cap to connect the hose lots of stuff came shooting out.

I will call Grand Design in the morning, still under warranty. Just thought I would check here to see if I'm doing something wrong.
    We have a 2021 381 M
    I assume the tank is now empty. I'd push the handles all the way in, put your cap back on, then put some water (just a gallon or two) in the black tank, and wait a few hours. Take the cap off, while standing back. If it all comes out, your valve is bad. I've had that happen, it was not bad enough to let solids through but liquids could get by.

The fix: They have to cut into that under belly that no one wants cut into to replace the valve. That's what I had to have them do, and mine was new as well. The first time they "repaired" the underbelly the tape all came off on the next trip out. The next time they put something better on that has held so far.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 08-28-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem, thank goodness it was only gray water from the kitchen tank. Still under warranty so I took it in and they did find a faulty seal.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a valve that attaches to the waste line before you connect cap or dump hose. I keep it closed until I have hose hooked up and then open it last. I got tired of small amount of gray water collecting behind cap. Should work to help prevent accidents you described. I suspect cable came loose and valve not shutting. I also connect wort clear elbow so I know when flushing black tank is complete before releasing gray tanks.

Here is the link to the valve on Amazon. It easily attaches and then you can attach cap or waste hose. You can buy anywhere… seen at camping world and Walmart. Or order on Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...e+valve&sr=8-3
    Last edited by Hlesan; 08-28-2021 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Typo

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    To address this potential problem, I installed a Valtera auxiliary valve at the end of the drain. Many people do this. You can get the valve from Amazon. When I drain, I also use a clear 45 degree connection so I can tell when I have the tank flushed and empty.
    I have one of those but after twisting it on I still had to put a hose clamp on it to keep it tight. You'd think Valterra could figure out how to make them so they fit tight.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACMEhere View Post
    I had the same problem, thank goodness it was only gray water from the kitchen tank. Still under warranty so I took it in and they did find a faulty seal.
    Same here. One gray valve was non functioning upon delivery, resulting in quite a surprise on our initial trip. Put a Valterra on the end in order to use it until the dealer could replace it.
    Last edited by bsktcas; 08-28-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always drill a small hole in my caps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tanks have vents, altitude will not affect pressure in the tank

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    Thanks inadvance for your help. Went to dump the tanks for the very first time. Handles in the nautilous system pushed all the way in.

When opening the cap to connect the hose lots of stuff came shooting out.

I will call Grand Design in the morning, still under warranty. Just thought I would check here to see if I'm doing something wrong.
    We have a 2021 381 M
    We had this issue with our 2020 Solitude. I'm convinced, after a factor tour, that the issue is the residue in the waste tank drain manifold never fully drains. Rather than go through the process of changing the gate valves on the waste tank themselves, I had a dealer install this (https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Wast...31688859&psc=1), at the drain pipe exit and Grand Design covered it under warranty. I have had zero issues since. I'm very happy with this solution.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same problem with our "new-to-us" Solitude. This seems like a great time to suggest the obvious fix... Put a gate valve right before the cap; its actually dry in there Since we did this there has been zero, zilch, nada of anything coming out when the cap is removed.

There are two types of these gate valves: One connects directly to the cap mounting pins, but may make the cap stick out too far from the side. The other type like we used requires that the end of the pipe be cut off and the valve glued in between the two pieces. This way more of the pipe can be cut off if necessary to keep the cap under the unit instead of sticking out form the side. Lowes sells ABS glue in smaller cans. If used, just remember that ABS glue starts drying before you get the dispensing brush out of your hand! Hurry!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast