User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaster51

Hi All; Currently in the Market for a new 5th-Wheel...Can I "pick your brain"?

Hi All,
    I am brand new to this forum and joined because I would like to pick everyone's brain before we purchase a new 5th-wheel. My wife and I have been looking at shows and dealerships for the past 3 years anticipating her retirement in a couple of months. We have found two models that meet our "desires": the Rockwood 8289WS and the Reflection 29RS. Both have islands, full size beds, entertainment centers, free standing dinettes, 3 slides. Couple of questions I would like to pose to the forum members: Does the Rockwood stay warm in cooler climate conditions? Any issues with the Reflection? Do you have the carpeted entertainment area or is it hardwood/linoleum? Anything you particularly like or would change now you've had an opportunity to actually drive and camp in it? We would encourage you to be as honest as possible in your comments. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

We were looking at the same models you are and went with the Reflection as we thought the interior was better quality. I couldn't see getting rid of the old trailer and having the same old trailer interior that has been around in the industry for a while. We did up-sell ourselves to the 303 RLS for the pantry. We are very happy with our choice and have only had 2 minor issues.

Here are a few notes:

>The Reflection only has carpet in the slide under the table and in the bed room.
    >While shopping I did find that the Rockwood with brown exterior was much warmer than the white. Do not know about cold climates.
    >A few things I liked about the Rockwood were the Reese Sidewinder and lower weight.
    >For us the Reflection quality fit and finish inside/out was an important point. We hit a couple of shows in Sacramento and found it difficult to digest other manufactures after spending time in the Reflection. Again all back to fit and finish.

On another note you have a nice location that I like to visit.

Chuck
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike,

We also brought our "short list" down to the Rockwood 8289WS and the Reflection 303RLS. (The 29RS wasn't out yet).
    Agree completely with all the points that Chuck has noted. We also liked that the theatre seating is directly across from the TV and we don't have to rotate and store recliners (like on the Rockwood) to bring in the slides. This is our first RV, so I don't really have a "frame of reference", but during our snowbird winter in Florida, we gave lots of tours to those who had never seen a Grand Design before and the two most frequent comments were "love the quality of the materials and finishes" and "love the pantry".

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike....

Howdy neighbor...Truckee resident here...well Donner Summit really. We looked at the Rockwood also but fell in love with the "fit and finish" as well as the layout of the 303 Reflection. Hope to be finalizing our deal this week. Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes to the variousfloor plans...... gotta go with your gut feeling I guess.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Coaster51 and good luck with your search for a 5th wheel. I don't own a Reflection, but I can tell you that you want find a better company for customer service.

Steve

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, Mike. I agree with Steve, you will not find better customer service at any other manufacturer. Period.
    We love our Reflection! We went with the bigger 337RLS, mainly for the bigger shower and bedroom. We were looking at the Forest River Wildcat before finding Grand Design. The quality, finish, and colors were main reasons we decided on Reflection. Bigger basement storage also.
    Very happy with our decision, and am sure you would be too if you decide to join our ever growing, happy family. Good luck.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rockwood has much less R- values...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do not have a Reflection but we are very impressed with the finish of our new Momentum...Our first trip out was great!

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're really serious I would take a couple of days in Elkhart and tour the manufacturers plants and make your decision on the quality and see how they're built. I have a Solitude and my friend has a Reflection and we are both very happy with Grand Design. Good luck with your decision and happy trails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im in the boat with the fit and finish as well. I have a 323BHS and after looking at it everything before and after just paled in comparison. We looked at a lot of RVs with bunk houses from just about every manufacturer. The "Old trailer interior" on all the others is precisely what dissuaded us from them and to the Grand Design. I was tickled just to have all cabinet work to actually be solid WOOD instead of a mix between plastic and OSB. I prefer the flooring configuration as it is too with the Beau flooring covering all but the living room slide with the recliners and dinette and the BR. That was one task I hated previously was cleaning carpet. Campgrounds are not perfectly groomed places with no dirt in them and having two teens that grew up in campgrounds that dirt always finds it was in regardless of how many matts you put in front of the door. Now a swiffer takes care of it like a champ and any carpet cleaning will be minimal, like once at the end of the season if that as there is no carpet in high traffic areas.

I cant speak for all the models but a HUGE selling point for our 323 BHS is STORAGE! My wife say the pantry and her eyes lit up, no more storing food in the bathroom cabinet! we moved from a 38ft TT to this. The TT was packed full and granted we did toss a lot of things that had been hiding for 10 years but we havent put a dent in the storage yet. At least half of the drawers and cabinets are still empty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast