User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brake

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do trailer drum bakes self adjust like car brakes used to? If so, you could try that.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    Do trailer drum bakes self adjust like car brakes used to? If so, you could try that.
    Self adjusters will maintain adjustment but the brakes need to be set up and adjusted properly when installed. It seems almost none of them are being done at the factories or dealers before being delivered to the customer.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    It depends on the model. Some have self adjusting some do not. I think, but don't quote me on this, that the larger Imagine and up are self adjusting.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I adjusted the camper brakes. All 4 wheels were loose when I started. I adjusted until just a slight drag. Took camper around the block. At a setting of 10 on brake controller I might feel a slight resistance when using the hand brake. But, I would expect much more. When stopping with my truck brake, I show 2 to 3 bars of output which seems normal. Does the Imagine 2600RB have self adjusting brakes?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    I adjusted the camper brakes. All 4 wheels were loose when I started. I adjusted until just a slight drag. Took camper around the block. At a setting of 10 on brake controller I might feel a slight resistance when using the hand brake. But, I would expect much more. When stopping with my truck brake, I show 2 to 3 bars of output which seems normal. Does the Imagine 2600RB have self adjusting brakes?
    That's how my brakes originally felt and it was because the brakes on the rear axle were not connected.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a few threads last year or the year before about people complain about the brakes. No matter what they did it would not change much. They ended up replacing the brake electrical wire that goes from the street side to the curb side via the axles to a direct route from the front. They also noticed that the wire going thru the axle was something like a 16 or 18 gauge. I think they re-wired with 12 gauge. The end result was good. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Definitely NOT a break in issue in my humble opinion. Did you find the problem?
    No haven't looked yet. Kids made a "surprise" visit and they are sleeping in it in the driveway. Don't want t jack it up with the slide out.
    End of the week will be my widow of opportunity.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered self-adjusting brakes for our 4400 lbs axles from Lippert. I'm not interested in adjusting the brakes every 3000 miles.

$382 for all four brakes, should take less than 2 hrs to replace them. Lippert claims they are 50% more effective at 60 mph.

I read a note of caution on the forum that the Lippert person you speak with occasionally gets things wrong. When I called back to order the self-adjusting brakes, the parts man said they had given me the wrong parts number. So make sure they double-check what you are ordering.

When we picked up our 2022 Imagine 2670MK last week the brakes barely worked at a gain setting of 10. So that means the great PDI that GD claims to do, ditto for the dealer, ignored one of the most important safety features of the trailer. Some delivery guy towed it hundreds of miles with no appreciable trailer braking.

Geez!

Dave
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
    Just ordered self-adjusting brakes for our 4400 lbs axles from Lippert. I'm not interested in adjusting the brakes every 3000 miles.

$382 for all four brakes, should take less than 2 hrs to replace them. Lippert claims they are 50% more effective at 60 mph.

Dave
    Hope this solves your problem, but help me understand this. How are the self adjusting brakes more efficient?

Drum brakes are pretty simple, just involving the shoes making contact with the inside of the drum. Unless the self adjusting brakes offer larger shoes or a different lining, how can they work better?

Honestly, I've been pulling trailers many years and have seldom found the need to adjust the brakes. I probably should have done it more often, but just never had an issue with the brakes stopping the trailer. Now it may have to do with the fact that I've never had a large, heavy trailer that would put more load on the brakes. Adjusting every 3000 miles just seems awfully frequent.
    Last edited by dryfly; 08-24-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Hope this solves your problem, but help me understand this. How are the self adjusting breaks more efficient?

Drum breaks are pretty simple, just involving the shoes making contact with the inside of the drum. Unless the self adjusting breaks offer larger shoes or a different lining, how can they work better?
    Ask Lippert! It’s their claim.
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast