Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brake

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Brake

We traded in our old camper trailer for a 2022 Imagine 2600RB, So far we really like the layout. But, I have a brake controller question. As we pulled out of our driveway with our old camper, I applied the F150 brake controller by hand to make sure we had camper brakes, and indeed we did. I must admit, I did not think about checking the brakes with the new camper. But when stopped for lunch I remembered. So, as we left the parking lot, I applied the brake controller, but nothing happened. I increased the grain all the way to 10. But, again no braking of the camper. I got out and stood next to camper as my wife applied the brake and I could here the clicking sound of the magnets, so I know the "hookup" is ok, just no braking power. Is there a break in period before I see any braking? Anything I should be doing being this is a new camper? I read about applying the brake controller at 40mph with new campers to set the brake pad. Does this make sense? Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you for this forum.

Lucius

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. There's a good chance the brakes weren't initially adjusted the correct way. You can look up the adjustment procedure online, it's fairly simple to do. Once the brakes are properly adjusted, then the self adjusting feature works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same with the 2600RB we just took delivery on a couple of weeks ago. no brake action felt at all.
    I have it on my list to inspect and adjust.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    We traded in our old camper trailer for a 2022 Imagine 2600RB, So far we really like the layout. But, I have a brake controller question. As we pulled out of our driveway with our old camper, I applied the F150 brake controller by hand to make sure we had camper brakes, and indeed we did. I must admit, I did not think about checking the brakes with the new camper. But when stopped for lunch I remembered. So, as we left the parking lot, I applied the brake controller, but nothing happened. I increased the grain all the way to 10. But, again no braking of the camper. I got out and stood next to camper as my wife applied the brake and I could here the clicking sound of the magnets, so I know the "hookup" is ok, just no braking power. Is there a break in period before I see any braking? Anything I should be doing being this is a new camper? I read about applying the brake controller at 40mph with new campers to set the brake pad. Does this make sense? Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you for this forum.

Lucius
    There is a break in period as the break shoes and drums seat to one another. Also as mentioned, a brake adjustment may be needed. However, in my case, I had the dealer pull the wheels on my new non-braking Reflection and grease was found in all 4 brake assemblies. In which case none of the above is going to help.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    There is a break in period as the break shoes and drums seat to one another. Also as mentioned, a brake adjustment may be needed. However, in my case, I had the dealer pull the wheels on my new non-braking Reflection and grease was found in all 4 brake assemblies. In which case none of the above is going to help.
    Ditto on the break in period. Ours slowed the trailer and truck on 10 when it was new. After 800 miles it’s slowing us and stopping us on 7. We do a lot of highway driving and brakes are still breaking in. If by the end of the season I can’t lock them up on a higher setting I’ll have the dealer look at them.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I too was told by the dealer that the brakes had a break in period. Unfortunately the "break in" period never fixed the fact that the rear brakes were never connected by the factory.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Ditto on the break in period. Ours slowed the trailer and truck on 10 when it was new. After 800 miles it’s slowing us and stopping us on 7. We do a lot of highway driving and brakes are still breaking in. If by the end of the season I can’t lock them up on a higher setting I’ll have the dealer look at them.
    I understand a break in period, but to start off with none is unsafe.
    My 2021 had great brakes right off the lot at 6.5. The 2022 had nothing at 10.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I understand a break in period, but to start off with none is unsafe.
    My 2021 had great brakes right off the lot at 6.5. The 2022 had nothing at 10.
    Definitely NOT a break in issue in my humble opinion. Did you find the problem?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of these trailers are delivered wheels down. Delivery drivers use trailer brakes almost exclusively. Depending on where you live, the brakes are probably broke in. In my case they were trashed.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go thru the procedure to adjust the camper brakes tonight to see if this corrects the problem. Thanks for all of your inputs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast