Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2022

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaska 2022

I know there are many old threads about Alaska, but thought it might be good to bring to the top for more recent advice. We are in the very beginning planning stage for a trip in 2022.

Looks like crossing thru Canada is open now with showing documentation of vaccination. Anyone done this yet?

We have done several two weeks trips now but I know I need a lot more time than that for this one. Is four weeks enough time? I think that is the most that we could get away. It is just over 4000 miles from our house to Anchorage, so rolling at 600 miles a day that still takes a week to get there. I guess I could hire someone to drive my rig there, I wonder if that would cost less than just renting a RV for two weeks?
    Last edited by timkoenig; 08-22-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this! My wife and I are planning our big Alaska adventure for 2022, we plan on being gone from our home in California for about 3 months. We are retired so we have the time to see as much as we can. I am also concerned about the border and would like to hear others comments. Matter of fact, like you, any comments people have would be welcome by this traveler too!
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I really want to see Alaska from a RV but don't want to wait for retirement. From what I have heard about the roads maybe I should price out plane tickets and rental rig.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting across the border into Canada might not be a problem. How about coming back in if they close the border again? From Alaska into Canada or Canada into the USA. Just another thing to think about. We want to do it too, but it’s still a few years out. Hopefully we’ve got the virus under control by then.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    I know there are many old threads about Alaska, but thought it might be good to bring to the top for more recent advice. We are in the very beginning planning stage for a trip in 2022.

Looks like crossing thru Canada is open now with showing documentation of vaccination. Anyone done this yet?

We have done several two weeks trips now but I know I need a lot more time than that for this one. Is four weeks enough time? I think that is the most that we could get away. It is just over 4000 miles from our house to Anchorage, so rolling at 600 miles a day that still takes a week to get there. I guess I could hire someone to drive my rig there, I wonder if that would cost less than just renting a RV for two weeks?
    Just going to point out that there are many roads, once you get into Canada and Alaska that you won't be able to do 600 miles a day as the speed limits may be as low as 35 MPH on them.

As PP said, the roads can be troublesome. It's not unusual for axles/wheels to break on them. Not to mention cracked windshields/windows due to flying gravel (some roads, yes major roads) are basically oiled gravel and the big rigs flying by on the other side of the 2 lane road kick up a lot of it.

I think flying up and renting an RV for this trip sounds like the best idea for a "short" trip.

We're retired and our trip up and back from southern CA took 2 1/2 months.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did it in 2019. We did about 300 or more miles on the way out but once we got into the Yukon & Alaska we settled in to about 200 miles a day with some multiple day stops. The roads weren't nearly as bad as we expected but caution & slow speed were the norm. Our round trip from upstate NY was 12,000 miles, 11 weeks.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too are looking north for 22, and are hearing about quite a surge.

We did a month in 2003, from WA and had a great time. All the main roads were fully paved, except for construction... I grew up hearing AlCan horror stories, but it was generally good rural roads. Frost heaves were the worst part! 55 limit but 25 was too fast in many places, with just enough good sections to make you speed up.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am making the trip to Alaska in 2022 and have already started putting detailed plans together. I plan to leave Seattle for Fairbanks May 9. I was just told by a friend in Vancouver that they are no longer requiring test results at the border which should make life easier, but you do need to have your passport in order and be fully vaccinated. They also have an online form to be filled out prior to reaching the border. I too am retired and plan to spend the whole summer up there. If you have gotten farther on your planning, I'd love to hear what you know.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRT735 View Post
    I am making the trip to Alaska in 2022 and have already started putting detailed plans together. I plan to leave Seattle for Fairbanks May 9. I was just told by a friend in Vancouver that they are no longer requiring test results at the border which should make life easier, but you do need to have your passport in order and be fully vaccinated. They also have an online form to be filled out prior to reaching the border. I too am retired and plan to spend the whole summer up there. If you have gotten farther on your planning, I'd love to hear what you know.
    I still want to go but we decided not this year, four weeks is not enough time. Still planning a four week circle with a week in Glacier and Yellowstone.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRT735 View Post

You are correct, no Covid test required but you will need to use the ArriveCan app (https://arrivecan.en.softonic.com/ip...SAAEgLLgPD_BwE).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast