User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical Help Needed - Ceiling Light Dimmer 230RL

Well, I tried to wire up a dimmer similar to the one I installed successfully on my awning lights, but I unintentionally left all the smoke out of the switch body when two wire inadvertently bumped into each other.

First question: IS THIS THE RIGHT DIMMER SWITCH FOR THE CEILING LIGHTS?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note the red, white & black wires.

However, before this happened, I could not get the wiring connected correctly, so I'm reaching out to those who've installed the same switch for their ceiling lights or someone who can explain the proper wiring...

Here's the original wiring of the current switch - I added the red and black tape to keep them straight since both wires are white with a red stripe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	As Found Wiring.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	36262

The voltage across the top wire and the middle wire is -6.3 volts (reference)

Name:	Voltage Across Top & Middle.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	36263

The voltage across the top and a solid white wire that runs from this switch to other switches on the board (I think may be a ground?) is 0.00 volts.

Name:	Voltage Across Top & Common.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	36264

Finally the voltage across the middle and ground(?) is +13.73.

Name:	Voltage Across Middle & Common.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	36265

Help me determine which wire is which, please!

See reply for a photo of the wiring instructions...I couldn't add it since I'm limited to only 5 photos per post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dimmer.JPG  
    Last edited by MJMCCAND; 08-22-2021 at 01:45 PM.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the instructions from the supplier:

Name:	Dimmer Wiring.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	36266

With my awning lights the red & white wires on the dimmer are both attached to a 12-volt source and the black goes to a purple wire which I believe is a ground.

The ceiling lights don't go to a purple wire! So which is the ground? and which is the 12-volt supply?

Help.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MJMCCAND; 08-22-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    Here are the instructions from the supplier:

Name:	Dimmer Wiring.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	36266

With my awning lights the red & white wires on the dimmer are both attached to a 12-volt source and the black goes to a purple wire which I believe is a ground.

The ceiling lights don't go to a purple wire! So which is the ground? and which is the 12-volt supply?

Help.

Thanks.
    Thats how I did mine. One caveat. GD in their infinite wisdom chose to daisy chain power for the singular blue lighted switch which I had to cut and tape off.

There should only be two wires on your existing switch, one will be a 12v source which you can buzz out with a multi-meter.

I tied the red and white from the switch together to the 12v source, and the other to ground. Wish I had a picture to show but I didn’t take any.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Thats how I did mine. One caveat. GD in their infinite wisdom chose to daisy chain power for the singular blue lighted switch which I had to cut and tape off.

There should only be two wires on your existing switch, one will be a 12v source which you can buzz out with a multi-meter.
    My existing switch has three wires, though the daisy-chained one seems to power the blue backlight of the switch.
    I disconnect this one from the switch and the blue light goes off, but the switch still operates the ceiling lights.

Name:	Switch.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	36267

I checked voltage across these two white-with-red-stripe wires (one with red tape and the other with black tape in the picture) and it reads 6.37 volts.

So I think I've narrowed it down to these two wires, but is one the 12-volt supply? I reckon one has got to go to the lights themselves...or they wouldn't turn on. How do I identify which one is which? Once that's done, the red & white from the dimmer switch tie together and go to that wire, the black goes where?

Thanks.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My existing switch has three wires, though the daisy-chained one seems to power the blue backlight of the switch.
    I disconnect this one from the switch and the blue light goes off, but the switch still operates the ceiling lights.

Views:	6 
ID:	36267

I checked voltage across these two white-with-red-stripe wires (one with red tape and the other with black tape in the picture) and it reads 6.37 volts.

So I think I've narrowed it down to these two wires, but is one the 12-volt supply? I reckon one has got to go to the lights themselves...or they wouldn't turn on. How do I identify which one is which? Once that's done, the red & white from the dimmer switch tie together and go to that wire, the black goes where?

Thanks.
    The other wire from your existing switch.

Find a good ground independent of the switch and isolate the 12v source wire. Connect red and white of new switch to that and the other wire of new switch to the remaining wire on old switch, should be all that is needed.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-22-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other wire from your existing switch.
    Okay, now I am confused. I'm more of a gear-head than a sparky, so please be patient.

I have a red wire, a white wire, and a black wire on the dimmer switch. The red & white on the dimmer switch tie together and go to the 12-volt supply wire, the black wire goes where?
    When you type "The other wire from your switch", which exactly do you mean, one of the two that are NOT daisy-chained - either the red-taped one or the black-taped one?

ID:	36268

Why does the voltage read 6.37 V across these two wires?
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, now I am confused. I'm more of a gear-head than a sparky, so please be patient.

I have a red wire, a white wire, and a black wire on the dimmer switch. The red & white on the dimmer switch tie together and go to the 12-volt supply wire, the black wire goes where?
    When you type "The other wire from your switch", which exactly do you mean, one of the two that are NOT daisy-chained - either the red-taped one or the black-taped one?

ID:	36268

Why does the voltage read 6.37 V across these two wires?
    Read the wires with a separate ground source not between. In other words find a separate location for your ground lead while buzzing it out. If the switch is off you will get weird readings. Find a good ground and check each wire on the switch separately. Once you have isolated the 12v you know how to connect.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the wires with a separate ground source not between. In other words find a separate location for your ground lead while buzzing it out. If the switch is off you will get weird readings. Find a good ground and check each wire on the switch separately. Once you have isolated the 12v you know how to connect.
    Got it! With the on/off switch (original switch) turned off, the black taped wire reads 11.5 v when I check it across a ground from another switch; the red-taped wire reads 0 volts when checked across the same ground - so I think the red-taped wire goes to the lights. So I tie the dimmer switch's red & white wire to the black-taped wire (12-volt supply) and the dimmer switch's black wire to the red-taped wire, right?

Thanks.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it! With the on/off switch (original switch) turned off, the black taped wire reads 11.5 v when I check it across a ground from another switch; the red-taped wire reads 0 volts when checked across the same ground - so I think the red-taped wire goes to the lights. So I tie the dimmer switch's red & white wire to the black-taped wire (12-volt supply) and the dimmer switch's black wire to the red-taped wire, right?

Thanks.
    You got it bro!
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Colors are not to be trusted! Plus there are at least 3 standard color sets you may encounter.

2. Reference all voltages to a single know frame/ground. You 6v may be coming from the neutral side of a load that's ON.

3. Rv-project.com has several great videos and articles on dimmers. Unfortunately LEDs are more complex than incandescents.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast