User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Close to a 310GK-R order (looking at one next week) and now looking at the myriad of posts and videos on hitches. I've kind of eliminated a standard 5th wheel - just too old and sore to even think about removing it from the bed. That said, looking at the AUH and Reese Goosebox. I was really leaning to the AUH because of the light weight. 310 will have a factory generator and washer/dryer right up front plus some other options so pin weight will be a bit higher - one reason the AUH seemed more attractive. But I do like the convenience of having only the ball in the bed.

Dealer is quoting almost $3K for a Goosebox plus install for labor and I'm sure they will want it purchased there. No quote for AUH because they don't install many, if any, but it's something I'm comfortable I can manage installing and removing.

I've seen mostly good reports on both with some saying the AUH hitching process might involve a few extra contortions to connect everything but that didn't make sense to me.

Opinions welcome!
    I stayed with a 5th wheel hitch. I went with B&W's Companion 25K. Its easy to assemble and goes into the truck bend in 2 pieces, and each piece weighs less than 80lbs, which I find manageable to put in and out of our truck bed. I'm extremely happy with the hitch. Its very forgiving when hooking on and unhooking. I did get the hitch that fits the puck system in our truck. My $0.02.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kings7248 View Post
    I stayed with a 5th wheel hitch. I went with B&W's Companion 25K. Its easy to assemble and goes into the truck bend in 2 pieces, and each piece weighs less than 80lbs, which I find manageable to put in and out of our truck bed. I'm extremely happy with the hitch. Its very forgiving when hooking on and unhooking. I did get the hitch that fits the puck system in our truck. My $0.02.
    So when I get down to Palm Springs for a month I just take my torque wrench, unloose 3 bolts, lift 45 pounds and put it under the rear of the trailer. Now my box is good for golf clubs or my two electric bikes, or any other bulky items. . I’m not lifting two 80 lb pieces of a hitch and putting them in the camp site!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdrifter1 View Post
    I have a 6’ 4”:RAM box. I’ve gotten very close to 90 degrees with that box and the Andersen and I’m still 4” “ from the cab. Also if the dealer can’t move the Andersen with their fork lift, how do they move conventional trailers? Never had an issue at the couple dealers I’ve used. I do use a couple “Lego” blocks under my Snap Pad on the front. No big deal! I love mymAndersen for ease of hitching, ease of removal, and it is very smooth and solid feeling.
    I don't know if my dealer hit it at an odd angle or what, but the locking pin was catching after the one time I left it that way. So we both agreed I'd remove the adapter in the future. Also when we needed our FBP door painted, that shop used a regular truck to move everything, so I removed it that time too. The process isn't bad as I use magnets for holding the latch handle onto the hitch.

Best regards,
    Chris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    I don't know if my dealer hit it at an odd angle or what, but the locking pin was catching after the one time I left it that way. So we both agreed I'd remove the adapter in the future. Also when we needed our FBP door painted, that shop used a regular truck to move everything, so I removed it that time too. The process isn't bad as I use magnets for holding the latch handle onto the hitch.

Chris
    I do,the same with magnets to hold the locking mechanism. Works great!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 310, and went with Goosebox. 80K miles, 2 yrs later, best choice I made. Purchased from etrailer and installed my self , 90 mins at most, very easy.

I love that I have my truck back to a empty bed in 60 secs. when its that easy, quick, you use it. If I was dealing with a hitch, I would either be frustrated everytime I had to pull it, or just find it too much, and loose the use of the truck.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote Goosebox. Just tell the stealer you're not interested in being ripped off. Having towed traditional and goose, I hands down prefer goose. Coupled with a B&W goose ball and factory pucks, the bed of my truck is always ready to use how I need.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with you, spent many months debating between the AUH and Reese GB. After enough videos and speaking to a few folks at campgrounds that owned both, I decided to go with the GB. The absorption of shock and having a free bed won out. Several folks on forums and of whom I met started with the AUH and went to the GB, all had same opinion they never looked back. But, a lot of merits with the AUH.
    Paid $1400 for the 16k version of the GB, installed today under 90 min, did the blocking method (I had the occ helper, but could do solo).
    Also today was maiden voyage of the Reflection, and first time towing a 5th wheel. Was quiet smooth and a non-event.

Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Close to a 310GK-R order (looking at one next week) and now looking at the myriad of posts and videos on hitches. I've kind of eliminated a standard 5th wheel - just too old and sore to even think about removing it from the bed. That said, looking at the AUH and Reese Goosebox. I was really leaning to the AUH because of the light weight. 310 will have a factory generator and washer/dryer right up front plus some other options so pin weight will be a bit higher - one reason the AUH seemed more attractive. But I do like the convenience of having only the ball in the bed.

Dealer is quoting almost $3K for a Goosebox plus install for labor and I'm sure they will want it purchased there. No quote for AUH because they don't install many, if any, but it's something I'm comfortable I can manage installing and removing.

I've seen mostly good reports on both with some saying the AUH hitching process might involve a few extra contortions to connect everything but that didn't make sense to me.

Opinions welcome!
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30k mi on AUH, 14k# trailer. No Contortions to hitch/unhitch. No clearance issues (cab or bed rail). Love the simplicity and fast install/removal.

I do remove the coupler on the pin box if i leave the trailer at a service place tho. (Had to do 2x). 5 min to remove or reinstall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123