User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What's the benefit of draining the water heater? I can see not leaving water in it for months, but once the water is heated and cycled out of the heater why drain?
    No galvanic corrosion possible if no water is present

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, part of my "newbie" learning, I didn't know to even ASK the question.......better get mine drained.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not full time but regardless of the time until the next trip, I drain the fresh tank if I've used it and drain the water heater.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    We are not full time but regardless of the time until the next trip, I drain the fresh tank if I've used it and drain the water heater.
    Thanks Mr Nailer
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also in the same camp. I'll drain the tank and w/h if we're not traveling for 2 to 3 weeks. I should also do the low points. We also travel with a 1/3 fresh water.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If winterized, we usually sanitize and fill the water in our 2016 Solitude at the beginning of the season. However, we leave water in the tank and keep it functional so DW can clean at her convenience. Before the next trip I drain and flush f its only been a few weeks. Anny longer than that I completely sanitize everything.

Just an FYI... When flushing and sanitizing, don't forget to flush the washing machine water lines whether you have installed a washer or not. In most cases those are dead end lines that can fester and create nasty water at the tees where they branch off.

We had that problem in a previous 5er in that the hot water at the bathroom sink was always stinky until we bled off those lines.

We will never have a W/D in our unit (need the storage space) so I fabricated a hose adapter that connects to the hot and cold water valves and tees the two lines directly into washer drain. This also maintains that the washer p-trap always has water in it to keep odors down. It also makes it easier to winterize as the clear tubing I used lets me see when the water is "pink".
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Do you drain and change the fresh water tank in between trips, drain and leave empty until you get ready to go, or leave it near full when sitting for a few weeks?

Getting ready for my 3300 (ish) mile trip, and just curious.

Thanks
    Each & every trip, before we leave we place a small amount of water with bleach travel day...for traveling on the road. When we get to our destination usually for 2 days, we fill our tank at RV Park. We enjoy Boondocking, then we are out for the duration of our trip usually Several Weeks. We return to our RV Park, do a complete dump and return home with a good amount of water and bleach to slosh around but not enough to impede the fuel mileage. When home, dump, empty dry 100% & open lowest point drain until our next trip.
    Same goes with Black Tanks, EXCEPT NO BLEACH and WE DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OPEN.
    We only consume bottled water, our preference.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't read all the responses, but it boils down to whether your tank is filled with water from a well or public water supply treated water. The former does not keep fresh as long as sanitized public water. We don't drink from our tank so it gets sanitized beginning of each season, after we have had to take on questionable water, and if odor arises.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Empty when not using it, filled right before we drive away. Sanitized once a season. I don't drink it anyway, though we will use it sometimes for cooking and dishes and such. When I want water for drinking I use bottled.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We primarily camp without hook ups so we travel with our tank full. When we store there is usually less than 1/3 tank and we rarely go more than a month between trips. I always dump the tank and refill with fresh as part of our packing procedure before we leave for a trip. We also cary drinking water so we use the tank for dishes and showers.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12