User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drain and change fresh water tank or not

Do you drain and change the fresh water tank in between trips, drain and leave empty until you get ready to go, or leave it near full when sitting for a few weeks?

Getting ready for my 3300 (ish) mile trip, and just curious.

Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drain the tank and water heater and leave empty. If more than a week or two between trips I also open the low point drains and drain the water lines. That said I have no idea of that's the optimum way of doing things.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    I drain the tank and water heater and leave empty. If more than a week or two between trips I also open the low point drains and drain the water lines. That said I have no idea of that's the optimum way of doing things.
    Thanks tfgd, makes sence, I haven't done it, but will drain the tank now and water heater and prep for fresh.......do you apply any bleach before fresh water added?
    Thanks again.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being full-timers, our situation is a bit different than yours, Ray. I do, however, dump and refill the fresh tank with new water every couple of months. Prior to travel, I make sure there's about 20 gallons in it to flush the toilet and wash hands on travel days. There are a couple of places we've stayed where the water service would come and go (usually because of work on the water systems). In those cases, I would fill up the tank when we got there and top it off when the water was on so we could continue to shower, wash dishes, etc. I don't travel with a full fresh water tank except in the southwest when high winds (35 MPH+ crosswinds) are forecast. I figure 600 - 800 lbs. down low makes for good ballast (a theory left over from my sailing days).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in between trips if it's only 2 or 3 weeks we leave it alone. When parked in FL we keep the tank full periodicaly drain and refresh . If the water system goes down, usually for repairs we can still shower and flush. For drinking and coffee we use purified bottled water unless water quality is good.. Especially in FL.. The water is not that tasty

We always travel with about a third of a tank for rest stops etc.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same camp, in that I will leave the fresh water in the tank, if it is only for several weeks or less. Anything longer, and I drain it, although I do not drain the water heater. Many years ago, I left my fresh water tank about 3/4 full for several months, it was a bit of work cleaning out all the green slime (algae) that had grown in it.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Do you drain and change the fresh water tank in between trips, drain and leave empty until you get ready to go, or leave it near full when sitting for a few weeks?

Getting ready for my 3300 (ish) mile trip, and just curious.

Thanks
    Depends, if it's going to be around 2 weeks or more before next trip, we drain. If it's the next week, we leave it in there.

We generally travel with 1/4 - 1/3 fresh water, just in case an emergency pit stop is needed.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the benefit of draining the water heater? I can see not leaving water in it for months, but once the water is heated and cycled out of the heater why drain?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in Southern California, I fill it before I store it. The trailer is our backup for "The Big One". I drain it (water the plants) to about a 1/3 full when traveling for restroom breaks.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks tfgd, makes sence, I haven't done it, but will drain the tank now and water heater and prep for fresh.......do you apply any bleach before fresh water added?
    Thanks again.
    I bleach sanitize at the beginning of the season and if the trailer has had to sit for a few months with no use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast