User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf springs on 2017 397TH

We bought our new, to us, 2017 Momentum 397TH. Love the layout and all the space. In talking with previous owner, and reading these forums, leaf springs seem to be weak or problematic.
    Does anyone know what the specs are for stock leaf springs? I want to replace/upgrade before begin towing. I would love to go the bigger better ISS route, but it's not in the budget right now.

Thank you for any help.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we replaced our springs we took the springs to a spring shop, told them what we had and weight capacity and they matched the size with a little extra capacity.

Hope someone here can advise but you could call GD service and they could give you the info as well.

Welcome to the forum and the GD family
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Very happy with our upgrade and space for teenagers and Great Danes.
    What's crazy to me is I owned a heave 32' Jayco bunkhouse for 10 years. 5 of it in Michigan/midwest roads. I never heard of breaking a leaf spring. For as inexpensive as leaf springs are, I want to upgrade all 6 and hopefully mitigate problems for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If their not flat their probably ok. If they came with 3500lb springs like most of the larger fifth wheels Dexter makes a 4000lb replacement. Part #072-079-00 they are more than double the price of the 3500lb. It's a little confusing because the ones that came on the trailer are 25 1/4" and Dexter shows the 4000lb as 26". I talked to Dexter and they said that 26 was the loaded length and these were a direct replacement. Only difference is yours has 3 axles and mine only two. I don't know if the springs are same length but they do use the same 7000lb axles.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just went through this with our 2017 328M. We had our 2nd broken leaf spring so I decided to call Lippert to see if A)there were any recalls and B) If they would offer any relief. On ours there were no recalls and we were out of warranty but to my surprise Lippert sent us a complete set of 4 leaf springs and U-bolts at their expense. We went from 3500lbs leafs to 4000lb and they covered the whole of it with the exception of labor to have the new parts installed. As great as this sounds, it was a complete pain to crawl under the trailer and get pictures of the axle serial tags and all of the associated pics and information that they requested. Overall though we were very happy they supported their product as they did.

NOTE: Both broken leafs occurred on the slide side of the RV. Seems to me that the extra weight is too much for the stock leafs springs...at least on the 2017's.