User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eastern Canada Axle Shop Recommendation?

Hello All-

Currently 3 months into a 5-month trip across Canada. Presently in Nova Scotia and will be making our way back to BC over the next 2 months.

I believe our 2021 367 BHS has a bent rear axle, as I have a 3/4" difference in centre-to-centre measurement of axles from left side to right side of the trailer. Additionally, I have been scrubbing tires quite badly on the rear trailer axle. Trailer was bought new in March in BC and hadn't noticed any issues until well into Quebec last month, so I suspect this issue was caused by an impact of some kind. Never curbed the trailer, but there are lots of rough roads up here. Front axle tires are still original and wearing reasonably evenly, but ended up having to replace both rear axle tires 3 weeks ago in Newfoundland as the inside treads were very badly worn (driver side tire almost bare on inside treads). Tire shop didn't have time to diagnose the problem, but they did check the bearings when they had the trailer up on jacks and said they seemed fine. Now (only 3 weeks later) the new drivers side rear trailer axle tire is almost down to the wear bars again, after only ~2000kms.

Our 367 has dual 6600lb axles, and we run around 13,000 combined on the rear axles (only ~200lbs capacity to spare).

Given we are quite far from home, and finding axles like this is not easy, I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions on my best course of action. So far I have thought:

1) Continue as-is, and have regular stops at tire shops to rotate the badly wearing tires often, and replacing as necessary until we get home when not in a rush to make a decision, or

2) Try and find a shop that can replace the axle(s) somewhere locally on our travels.

I have no idea whether this would be covered under GD/Dexter warranty, but regardless I'd like to upgrade the axles to either 7000lb or (preferably) 8000lb ones anyway since 6600 seems WAY too close to the bare minimum required for a unit this size.

Open to other suggestions! And any recommendations for a quality trailer axle shop in eastern Canada would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check for a broken spring or bent spring hanger?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring Specialties in Moncton does a lot of this work and has treated me well in the past. You'll be driving right by them on your way back as well.

https://www.springspecialtyltd.ca/

https://goo.gl/maps/QwsmWCW4gm4sa52f6
    Last edited by Newusername; 08-25-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7 3:55 SRW
    2021 Reflection 311BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for your prompt replies, and apologies for not writing back sooner. Turns out we had sheared off the centre pin of the leaf spring package on the left rear wheel - the head of the bolt was chopped right off. Found a local shop in North Sydney, NS to repair it and replace the badly worn tire. Will be keeping an eye on that tire wear closely for the next while to ensure the problem is truly solved.

Thanks again to both of you, this community is great!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k