Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off The Ground

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Off The Ground

Sometimes the only way I can level my Solitude is with one side’s wheels off the ground. I’ve always been concerned about that so I decided to do some investigation. I read through the parts manual for my Level Up system & researched the levelers. According to the manual the 4 middle & rear legs are rated for 8 thousand pounds each & the front landing gear jacks are rated for 14,000 lbs each so my question is why should I worry if a couple of wheels are off of the ground? Here is my logic. The front jacks are carrying the entire front weight of the fifth wheel. There are no wheels to carry any of the weight. And how do I know how much weight the wheels are carrying if they are still on the ground? The levelers might have them just touching the ground with very little weight on them. And if a side jack was to fail, I don’t think the coach would go crashing down & make the wheels bounce or anything.

So I’ve decided to avoid having a wheel off the ground if it is possible without moving my fifth wheel around a lot. After all, when a 37’ trailer & a crew crab truck with an eight foot bed are on a lot of RV sites, there’s not usually a lot of room to move around to a more level area. Ive had fifth wheels with hydraulic leveling for almost 12 years without an issue. What are your thoughts?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, if the wheels leave the ground while leveling the coach, then the wheels leave the ground. I don't remember seeing anything in the leveling
    instructions about making sure the wheels are in contact with the ground. Maybe I missed that part.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    That refers to the electric 4 point system.

Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    And that refers to motorhomes, also usually a four point system but should be much more robust.

The early literature for the 6 point system that comes on the solitudes actually touted being able to lift off the ground for changing a tire. That has disappeared, if its due to the lawyers or an actual issue is for you to decide.

I have had mine off the ground multiple times, It doesn't bother me in the least. If I'm working under it then jack stands are a must. But one side for leveling purposes I don't think twice.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The two links are interesting. The first says that by lifting your wheels off the ground you may exceed your systems weight limits. In my post I stated the side & rear jacks are rated for 8000 lbs. So if all the weight of your trailer is on the right side you have 2 8000 lb jacks on the side & a 14000 lb jack on the front carrying 16,000 lbs ( the maximum weight for my Solitude). That’s 30,000 lbs of capacity carrying 16,000 lbs. And we know it’s impossible for all of the weight to be on just one side. The second link is for motor homes & does not apply here.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 Reflection 310RLS with a 4-point jack system on a seasonal site in NH. A repair tech came by to do some warranty work just before we closed for the season, and I pointed out that my door-side wheels are off the ground when I auto-level. He told me that it is not a good situation when all of the weight is in the jacks, and recommended that I add a couple more 2X10 planks under that side. I manually lowered the camper until the wheels were on the existing plank for the winter, and will add more planks in the spring as recommended.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just always felt it was a bad idea for a suspension to "hang" unsupported for a long time. The shackles are in a position that seems awkward and the leaf springs now have to carry a lot of weight in a direction they most likely weren't intended for (or something like that). I also think an RV is less stable than with wheels on the ground. None of this is scientific, just my feeling.

I applied this logic whether I had motorhomes, 5th wheels, or travel trailers.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your calculations are correct - it's not an issue for the leveling system or the jacks. @traveldawg has a point with the suspension hanging if you have springs, shackles and equalizers - NOT an issue with your MORryde IS. If you're uncomfortable with wheels off the ground, put some pressure-treated 2 x 12 under the low side wheels before backing into final position to a height appropriate for how out of level the site is. This would support the wheels and suspension system on that side as the leveling system does its job.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all actuality, the trailer would be more stable when the support points are farther apart, as would be with the autolevel system. With the tires, you have 4 points close together, versus 6 point separated by a lot of distance. Plus there is no "give" with the autolevel compared to the amount of side-to-side movement allowed by the tire sidewalls flexing. And I'm not buying into the assertion that a couple hundred pounds hanging is somehow damaging the suspension points.

The last trip we had a couple nights when the tires were off the ground, no biggie, the trailer felt just as stable, maybe more so than when the wheels are on the ground. A foot in the air might be a bit much, but a few inches aren't going to hurt anything. Of course, JMO. But I love pulling up, unhitching and letting the autolevel do it's thang.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to hear rational thought on this subject. Over the years there has been too much bleating by those who knew too little. After 6 years traveling with my 379fl, there have been no issues with the Level-Up system, and I have had tires off the ground more than just a few times. I will take all four tires off the ground for brake and lube service, but in that case I always have it hitched to the truck (plus jack stands)for additional safety. Worst case you might flip a shackle. Hit the first speed bump you come to and it will usually pop right back.
    Safe Travels.
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast