User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tandem axle alignment

The crown on the back axle of the tandem axle is facing downward and the crown on the front axle is facing upward. I have been told I need my axles aligned. Is this the proper protocol and how common is servicing axle alignment? Discovered the axle differences after inside wear on both tires on the back axle. Thank you!
    Last edited by Mcostanza; 08-25-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: punctuation

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcostanza View Post
    The crown on the back axle of the tandem axle is facing downward and the crown on the front axle is facing upward. I have been told I need my axles aligned. Is this the proper protocol and how common is servicing axle alignment? Discovered the axle differences after inside wear on both tires on the back axle. Thank you!
    It is not common, or proper IMO, but some do it.
    Is yourTT new?
    The usual cause is overloading. Many RVs have axles that are barely strong enough to be legal.
    IMO the second most important change one can make on a towable RV is to upgrade the axles.

The not expensive or hard to do. And it will pay off in reliability.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me that you've got a bent rear axle. I had the same thing earlier this year, rear axle had lost its crown and the rear tires angled out at the bottom causing rapid, extreme tire wear. Solution was a new axle, actually 2 new axles since Dexter discontinued the 3K axles I originally had on my trailer and Dexter recommending changing both of them.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your axle is flat or curves down in the middle, it is either over loaded or bent.

Are your tires wearing hard on the inside of the rear axle?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. Currently I am waiting for a response from Dexter. So I guess aligning the axles would be a temporary fix? My dealership and another shop closer to me make aligning the axles a common practice, which I was not familiar with, although I am new to the TT world and my trailer is a 2020. A friend with a 2019 version of my had trailer had the same issue had the axle replaced and wishes he upgraded the capacity. I'm still curious about the aligning, because one shop said even if Dexter supplies a new axle, I would be responsible for the install cost and an alignment cost, saying with a new axle the trailer's axles would need to be aligned. Just trying to figure this out. Again, thank you.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds exactly like my issue. Is this a common for the Imagines?
    I shared more info in response to huntindog's post.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in response to your question. Thank you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. Currently I am waiting for a response from Dexter. So I guess aligning the axles would be a temporary fix? My dealership and another shop closer to me make aligning the axles a common practice, which I was not familiar with, although I am new to the TT world and my trailer is a 2020. A friend with a 2019 version of my had trailer had the same issue had the axle replaced and wishes he upgraded the capacity. I'm still curious about the aligning, because one shop said even if Dexter supplies a new axle, I would be responsible for the install cost and an alignment cost, saying with a new axle the trailer's axles would need to be aligned. Just trying to figure this out. Again, thank you.
    That is BS. A new axle should not need to be aligned. If the spring hangers were install correctly then the new axle will be aligned.
    I would not do buisiness with that shop.

Alignment gets out of whack by axles bending from impacts such as curbs, potholes and or overloading. Aligning such an axle by bendo=ing it back into place does nothing to prevent it from happening again. Heavier axles will.
    And aligning isn't cheap. From what I read, 250-400. You would be much better off in the long run to put that moner towards better axles.

Now if you are fixing it to sell it,,,, That changes the equation.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in response to your question. Thank you.
    I am guessing you are replying to me.
    Hint: When repilying to a specific, person it is best to use the reply with quote button. It cuts down on confusion as more people chime in.

I=Since your Trailer is new, you can give the warranty a shot. Sometimes an axle is just faulty, or the spring hangers were welded on wrong. Both issues that are what the warranty is for.
    Once you get past the warranty and if it keeps happning and you gotta start paying out of pocket.... IMO it is upgrade time.

Note: once in awhile a warranty claim results in new heavier axles. Not often, but I have seen it happen.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I am guessing you are replying to me.
    Hint: When repilying to a specific, person it is best to use the reply with quote button. It cuts down on confusion as more people chime in.

I=Since your Trailer is new, you can give the warranty a shot. Sometimes an axle is just faulty, or the spring hangers were welded on wrong. Both issues that are what the warranty is for.
    Once you get past the warranty and if it keeps happning and you gotta start paying out of pocket.... IMO it is upgrade time.

Note: once in awhile a warranty claim results in new heavier axles. Not often, but I have seen it happen.
    Thank you for the "hint", hopefully this response is correct. I appreciate the advice.